Hawaiian or maori Fish Hooks

  • D.A.
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 30, 2012
      Hello everyone, I Have been a member here for a while but never posted before, I am interested in making Hawaiian or Maori Fish Hook necklaces and was wondering if anyone is familiar with the type of lashing that is used, seems to me to be lashed to the necklace using a figure eight pattern, also was wondering if anyone knows what is the typical type of cording that is used?, and also cording size?, Actual fish hook makers probably use 1mm that is twisted or twined for the necklace and.05 mm for the actual lashing, I have a pic of what one looks like in "Photos" then click "Don's Pics"
      Any help is greatly appreciated.
      Thanks
      Don
    • william gura
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 30, 2012
        don... i have a son who lives in Hawaii... when there i purchased a book on ancient hawaiian culture... i'll look through it and if i rfind any info on the "hook up" (pardon the pun) i'll scan and send along the info.... bill

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 30, 2012
          Don't know how far back in time you want to go, or how authentic, but you might look to see if anyone still makes twine from olona bark.  That would have been the traditional Hawaiian material for making line and cord.

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 30, 2012
            here's what i have from my "Hawaiian Arts and Crafts"  hope it helps...lemme know... bill

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 30, 2012
              Here is a link to an instructable that might help.

              http://m.instructables.com/id/How-To-Lash-Maori-Hook-Necklace/

              Cheers,

              Norm

              william gura <wgura@...> wrote:here's what i have from my "Hawaiian Arts and Crafts"  hope it helps...lemme know... bill

              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 31, 2012
                There is an excellent book on bone carving by Stephen Myhre that covers the figure eight lashings, and the carving away of the areas below them to create a flush effect.

                Here's a link to the book on Amazon...

                http://www.amazon.com/Bone-Carving-Skillbase-Techniques-Concepts/dp/0143009974/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1356974013&sr=8-1&keywords=Bone+carving

                --Jon