Sandy

  • ThreeLees1
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 4, 2012
      I hope and pray that my knottying friends made it through Sandy unscathed.

      I ask that all my friends who live in in the danger zones post on here to let all of us know that they are ok.

      I got lucky. The container I work from got pretty messed up. The water moved it about 300 feet, but it tumbled 300 feet, not floated. I lost some tools, a heater and small generator and some radios. I had quite a bit of rope in there. It got wet and stained, but it is still usable. It would get wet and stained during its first use in any event.
      The wallboard and paneling are, obviously, shot.

      I had many friends who lived in Breezy Point, and several were wiped out by that huge fire. Everybody I knew there sustained significant damage. My friends in Gerritsen Beach and Sheepshead Bay (both Brooklyn, NY) too. I can't count the number of friends boats that were destroyed. The lines I made up for people all held. Unfortunately, the docks to which the boats were tied were destroyed or were lifted over the height of the pilings, and many docks and fingers floated away. Boats stored on land floated off their blocks and were destroyed.

      All the above are things... property. No loss of life, thank God, and very few injuries, none serious.

      So, the need for people to check in at a central point.

      Regards,

      Walter Seltzer
    • Charles Gallo
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 4, 2012
        Here in NE Queens, I still have no power, and gas is in short supply. Used some knots when doing some tree clean up

        On Nov 4, 2012, at 4:20 PM, "ThreeLees1" <threelees1@...> wrote:

        > I hope and pray that my knottying friends made it through Sandy unscathed.
        >
        > I ask that all my friends who live in in the danger zones post on here to let all of us know that they are ok.
        >
        > I got lucky. The container I work from got pretty messed up. The water moved it about 300 feet, but it tumbled 300 feet, not floated. I lost some tools, a heater and small generator and some radios. I had quite a bit of rope in there. It got wet and stained, but it is still usable. It would get wet and stained during its first use in any event.
        > The wallboard and paneling are, obviously, shot.
        >
        > I had many friends who lived in Breezy Point, and several were wiped out by that huge fire. Everybody I knew there sustained significant damage. My friends in Gerritsen Beach and Sheepshead Bay (both Brooklyn, NY) too. I can't count the number of friends boats that were destroyed. The lines I made up for people all held. Unfortunately, the docks to which the boats were tied were destroyed or were lifted over the height of the pilings, and many docks and fingers floated away. Boats stored on land floated off their blocks and were destroyed.
        >
        > All the above are things... property. No loss of life, thank God, and very few injuries, none serious.
        >
        > So, the need for people to check in at a central point.
        >
        > Regards,
        >
        > Walter Seltzer

      • chrisdiver27
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 5, 2012
          Wow, Walter -

          Really admirable attitude that I hope you can sustain through the coming weeks and the frustrations that will undoubtedly accompany the process of picking up and cleaning up and generally trying to get Life back together.

          Am SO very happy to hear you and yours made it through so well.

          We're not unused to The Weather out here in Hawai`i, so I can only empathize...

          How satisfying it must feel to know your lines held through their most challenging task!

          Malama pono no kakou,

          Chris
        • danmachowski@bellsouth.net
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 5, 2012
            Hello Walter from South Carolina

            I am glad to hear that you made it through Sandy.

            Living here in Charleston, I know what you are going thru.

            We were without electricity for over a month with Hurricane Hugo.

            It is a time that tests everyone's patience and really brings people
            together.

            My wife's family is inland of the Jersey shore (just wind damage and no
            lights) but their summer spots and friends along the beaches have lost much.

            Take care and keep smiling (and tying).

            Smooth turns
            Dan Machowski

          • threelees1@aol.com
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 5, 2012
              Thanks, Dan.

              My wife rents a place on the Jersey shore every year. Still don't know
              what happened to it.

              Walter

              In a message dated 11/5/2012 1:36:45 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
              danmachowski@... writes:

              Hello Walter from South Carolina

              I am glad to hear that you made it through Sandy.

              Living here in Charleston, I know what you are going thru.

              We were without electricity for over a month with Hurricane Hugo.

              It is a time that tests everyone's patience and really brings people
              together.

              My wife's family is inland of the Jersey shore (just wind damage and no
              lights) but their summer spots and friends along the beaches have lost
              much.

              Take care and keep smiling (and tying).

              Smooth turns
              Dan Machowski

            • rons_hobbies
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 6, 2012
                Thanks much for the posting Walter, I was wondering . . . very happy to hear you have power! I was sick watching the fire, just very happy people heeded the evacuation. I know some people have very limited resources and can hesitate to get out because they don't have the funds to be any place else.

                I did hurricane response planning for almost five years, wish I was more involved. But the last thing they need down there is a self-deployer.

                Are you going to be able to salvage your container?

                Ron

                --- In knottyers@yahoogroups.com, "ThreeLees1" <threelees1@...> wrote:

                > I hope and pray that my knottying friends made it through Sandy unscathed.
                >
                > I ask that all my friends who live in in the danger zones post on here to let all of us know that they are ok.
                >
                > I got lucky. The container I work from got pretty messed up. The water moved it about 300 feet, but it tumbled 300 feet, not floated. I lost some tools, a heater and small generator and some radios. I had quite a bit of rope in there. It got wet and stained, but it is still usable. It would get wet and stained during its first use in any event.
                > The wallboard and paneling are, obviously, shot.
                >
                > I had many friends who lived in Breezy Point, and several were wiped out by that huge fire. Everybody I knew there sustained significant damage. My friends in Gerritsen Beach and Sheepshead Bay (both Brooklyn, NY) too. I can't count the number of friends boats that were destroyed. The lines I made up for people all held. Unfortunately, the docks to which the boats were tied were destroyed or were lifted over the height of the pilings, and many docks and fingers floated away. Boats stored on land floated off their blocks and were destroyed.
                >
                > All the above are things... property. No loss of life, thank God, and very few injuries, none serious.
                >
                > So, the need for people to check in at a central point.
                >
                > Regards,
                >
                > Walter Seltzer

              • Ken Gray
                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 18, 2012
                  SWEET FANCY MOSES!!!! hang in there man! when do they think power is
                  getting back on?

                  On Sun, Nov 4, 2012 at 3:28 PM, Charles Gallo <Charlie@...> wrote:

                  > **
                  >

                  > Here in NE Queens, I still have no power, and gas is in short supply. Used
                  > some knots when doing some tree clean up
                  >
                  > On Nov 4, 2012, at 4:20 PM, "ThreeLees1" <threelees1@...> wrote:
                  >
                  > > I hope and pray that my knottying friends made it through Sandy
                  > unscathed.
                  > >
                  > > I ask that all my friends who live in in the danger zones post on here
                  > to let all of us know that they are ok.
                  > >
                  > > I got lucky. The container I work from got pretty messed up. The water
                  > moved it about 300 feet, but it tumbled 300 feet, not floated. I lost some
                  > tools, a heater and small generator and some radios. I had quite a bit of
                  > rope in there. It got wet and stained, but it is still usable. It would get
                  > wet and stained during its first use in any event.
                  > > The wallboard and paneling are, obviously, shot.
                  > >
                  > > I had many friends who lived in Breezy Point, and several were wiped out
                  > by that huge fire. Everybody I knew there sustained significant damage. My
                  > friends in Gerritsen Beach and Sheepshead Bay (both Brooklyn, NY) too. I
                  > can't count the number of friends boats that were destroyed. The lines I
                  > made up for people all held. Unfortunately, the docks to which the boats
                  > were tied were destroyed or were lifted over the height of the pilings, and
                  > many docks and fingers floated away. Boats stored on land floated off their
                  > blocks and were destroyed.
                  > >
                  > > All the above are things... property. No loss of life, thank God, and
                  > very few injuries, none serious.
                  > >
                  > > So, the need for people to check in at a central point.
                  > >
                  > > Regards,
                  > >
                  > > Walter Seltzer

                • Charles Gallo
                  Message 8 of 8 , Nov 19, 2012
                    If you look, I sent that email 2weeks ago, I guess it just got approved. Power came on that night, so was without power 6 days