Re: Turksheads

  • ombagc11
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 14, 2002
      --- In knottyers@y..., "battleship_62" <knottyer77@l...> wrote:

      > Hi Knotters: Has anyone else had the rare oppurtunity to make 4
      and 5
      > strand turksheads and put them on canvas covered lifelines of
      > U.S. Navy Battleships as I did. If so perhaps we can swap sea
      > stories.
      > Charlie

      Did not make them for a Battleship, but was on the USS ELDORADO AGC-11
      which was a Flagship, therefore, all spit and polish. Was a BM
      striker, and did all kinds of fancy work for the deck departments
      areas. Put turks heads on stantions, railings, and other things.

      david 91yj@...
    • stwood68
      Message 2 of 6 , May 28, 2005
        The reference by T J Bartruff in responce to Jerry Chan's post is
        a revelation to anyone interested in turkshead knots. He gives you a
        table and graph that can be used to construct any size or shape knot.
        I generally try any new knot on a wooden mandrel with removable pins.
        I have discovered that I can crop a section of his mat grid to
        correspond to the desired knot and print it at the top of a page. Then
        I can take a highlighter or colored pencil and "run in" the leads. by
        numbering the mandrel pins and the bight turns on the grid in a
        corresponding manner, I can start by any pin and "tie the knot" with
        the pencil. By noting the pin you start at, and each following pin,
        you find the path around the knot, and by writing the crossings
        between pins as they are encountered, (with o(ver, or u(nder), I
        generate a running list, or formula, that allows me to do the knot on
        the mandrel directly. Just remember that when you come to the edge of
        the grid, you have to jump to the other side to continue.
        Sidney Wood
        Clyde Tx.
      • Letty Lechner
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 12 3:11 PM
          Hello everybody.

          Just got back from summercamp and finally got the hang of making large
          Turksheads. You can find my pictures at:

          http://ffvdelft.speed.planet.nl/coppernew/index.php?cat=3

          André: I’m still working on the other project, but forgot to take it with me
          on summercamp to end it… So it may take a while longer than I thought.
          Already working on it for a year…

          Is there more information on the October meeting in Den Helder?

          Greetings,

          Letty Lechner

          Scouting Holendrecht, Amsterdam, The Netherlands.

          PS if you would like to see the photo’s of our summercamp, go to
          http://ffvdelft.speed.planet.nl/coppermine/thumbnails.php?album=58

        • André
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 13 4:47 PM
            Hi Letty,

            Hope you had a great camp. Nice knotwork you have there.

            it's also good to see that the scouts are taking interest in tying
            knots...keep them going.

            About that bow fender, well "wat in het vat zit verzuurt niet" i am
            sure you will finish it one day.

            Take care

            André

            --- In knottyers@yahoogroups.com, Letty Lechner <letty.lechner@p...>