Re: introduction and a question

  • ornamentalturner
    Message 1 of 25 , Sep 15, 2012
      I can't offer any specific advice, but it is too bad you don't actually live in England, or you might be able to pose your question in person to Geoffrey Budworth.

      He has written many knot books, and I vaguely recall reading somewhere that he has also aided Scotland Yard, more than once, with his encyclopedic knowledge of occupational knots, as related to crimes. Although much more recent crimes than your time period.

      Perhaps others may be able to offer specific knot suggestions. Along with your concern for occupations which existed then, you need to also be sure that the knots you choose actually existed in the timeframe too. Books significantly older than Ashley's may be good starting points of reference.

      Good luck with your story and villain(s).

      --Jon

      --- In knottyers@yahoogroups.com, "annaca5le" <anna@...> wrote:

      > First, I must confess I'm not a knot-tyer, although I am a knitter
      > and crocheter, and I marvel at the multitude of shapes and functions
      > that can be produced by a single strand of string.
      >
      > I'm a writer, working on a murder mystery set in Cambridge in
      > 1587. I want one of my clues to be a knot, maybe both knots, which
      > will point with some assurance at the villain. "Aha! This is
      > a lobsterman's hitch," my sleuth can learn, "and therefore only
      > a lobsterman could have tied it." (It won't be that corny, once
      > all is said and done.)
      >
      > Could I impose on your collective wisdom and kindness for some
      > advice in choosing a knot? I've looked at Ashley's Book of Knots,
      > especially the occupational knots, but it's hard to judge from
      > pictures & I'm not very clever at imitating them myself.
      >
      > Mystery writers can be kind of callous about the facts of the crime,
      > so forgive me if I offend anyone's sensibilities. My victim is hung
      > from a roofbeam in the cockloft. The loose end of the rope is tied
      > to a bedpost. Beds had testers in those days, so the post is fixed
      > at both ends. I can adjust my villain's history to include any
      > occupation available in those days. Lobsterman, butcher, weaver...
      > the more specific, the better. A noose and a hitch?
      >
      > Thank you for your patience.
      >
      > Anna Castle
      > www.annacastle.com

    • Martin Church
      Message 2 of 25 , Sep 16, 2012
        Anna wrote:

        "I can adjust my villain's history to include any
        occupation available in those days. Lobsterman, butcher, weaver...
        the more specific, the better. A noose and a hitch?"

        Hi Anna,
        how about using an Ashley #559 Marlingspike Hitch to secure the rope to
        the bed (or as a grip on the rope to pull on), but holding it with the
        victim's wife's knitting tool ("Nostepinde" stick type ball winder)? A
        sailor wouldn't leave his fid, so he picks up what ever is handy. This
        might throw suspicion on the wife or their servant first.

        Or, a knot used to give a mechanical advantage in hauling the victim up
        to the beam might be specific to the trade the killer grew up in before
        they became successful. Lots of angles to use.
        Marty
        Message 3 of 25 , Sep 16, 2012
          Hi Anna,

          The rub, circa 1587; since we don't have a lot of written or archeological knotting history about guilds. We know many used rope / twine / string in their every day life and as part of their profession, but it isn't well documented.

          How about a Miller's knot which is a binding knot used to tie a bag closed.

          http://www.scribd.com/doc/28643494/Knots-IPG
          Chapter 2, Binding Knots, Page 50

          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miller%27s_knot

          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHg7lY5ZFTs
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_IQpqzD2iyI

          In your particular case, used as a strangle or constrictor knot; or as a binding knot on the hands or feet?

          Ed

          --- In knottyers@yahoogroups.com, "annaca5le" <anna@...> wrote:

          > First, I must confess I'm not a knot-tyer, although I am a knitter
          > and crocheter, and I marvel at the multitude of shapes and functions
          > that can be produced by a single strand of string.
          >
          > I'm a writer, working on a murder mystery set in Cambridge in
          > 1587. I want one of my clues to be a knot, maybe both knots, which
          > will point with some assurance at the villain. "Aha! This is
          > a lobsterman's hitch," my sleuth can learn, "and therefore only
          > a lobsterman could have tied it." (It won't be that corny, once
          > all is said and done.)
          >
          > Could I impose on your collective wisdom and kindness for some
          > advice in choosing a knot? I've looked at Ashley's Book of Knots,
          > especially the occupational knots, but it's hard to judge from
          > pictures & I'm not very clever at imitating them myself.
          >
          > Mystery writers can be kind of callous about the facts of the crime,
          > so forgive me if I offend anyone's sensibilities. My victim is hung
          > from a roofbeam in the cockloft. The loose end of the rope is tied
          > to a bedpost. Beds had testers in those days, so the post is fixed
          > at both ends. I can adjust my villain's history to include any
          > occupation available in those days. Lobsterman, butcher, weaver...
          > the more specific, the better. A noose and a hitch?
          >
          > Thank you for your patience.
          >
          > Anna Castle
          > www.annacastle.com

        • Ken Gray
          Message 4 of 25 , Sep 16, 2012
            I found a few that could work up really nice into a story line.

            found in the occupation section knots 190 247 388 411 are some I found
            interesting (however, I don't know about their use in 1500's though but I
            doubt that they weren't in use back then knots being what they are).

            also, there's a really interesting section on weavers knots that could make
            for an interesting distinguishing ropework senario.

            Ken
            On Sep 16, 2012 9:25 AM, "Martin Church" <mchurch@...> wrote:

            > **
            >

            > Anna wrote:
            >
            > "I can adjust my villain's history to include any
            > occupation available in those days. Lobsterman, butcher, weaver...
            > the more specific, the better. A noose and a hitch?"
            >
            > Hi Anna,
            > how about using an Ashley #559 Marlingspike Hitch to secure the rope to
            > the bed (or as a grip on the rope to pull on), but holding it with the
            > victim's wife's knitting tool ("Nostepinde" stick type ball winder)? A
            > sailor wouldn't leave his fid, so he picks up what ever is handy. This
            > might throw suspicion on the wife or their servant first.
            >
            > Or, a knot used to give a mechanical advantage in hauling the victim up
            > to the beam might be specific to the trade the killer grew up in before
            > they became successful. Lots of angles to use.
            > Marty

          • M P
            Message 5 of 25 , Sep 17, 2012
              Knot tying was common back then, so it is unlikely that the knots would point "with some assurance" to the perp.  The noose was so well known that any individual variation would be the same as signing the murder.  The hitch to the bedpost is so simple - both laymen and experienced sailors would probably use a few round turns and two half hitches.  A "fishermans bend" would indicate some seamanship, but this would not narrow things down much.  You could postulate some unorthodox "mooring hitch" or "hitching post hitch" (horseman) and declare that only one regiment somewhere uses that particular knot, but that is kind of forced, and trite, imo.

              I think your best bet is if the hands are tied behind the victims back.  There were lots of binding hitches, like the butchers hitch.  You could say it ended with "an unusual flourish" in the binding knot, and then notice a wrapped package from a fancy department store ended with the same flourish.  Fancy department stores probably dictated the knot to use in tying packages for delivery to clients.

              I'm too lazy to go find one in Ashley right now, but it should be straightforward, and anyway it wont have a name of its own.

              In fact, if the butler used to work at a fancy department store that used that knot.....

              Michael Pollock

            • annaca5le
              Message 6 of 25 , Sep 17, 2012
                Thanks to everyone for so many helpful and intriguing ideas! I
                will use that thief knot (from Steve) in some book, if not this one.
                Lily gave me wonderful ideas about weavers' knots, which Ken also
                suggested. Weaving was one of the most important industries in East
                Anglia in those days, so it's perfect. But not many weavers would
                send their sons to university, so they won't be everywhere in my
                scenario. Ken also suggested Ashley #190, a butcher's knot, which
                really appeals to me shape-wise. I can get a butcher into my
                villain's backstory. I'm going to look at videos on YouTube (where
                there is a video of everything! Thank you, Ed!) and try a little
                tying myself. The leg of my desk is probably about right for the bedpost, now that I think of it....

                Fishermen are actually not all that abundant in my characters'
                social sphere. Well-to-do tradesmen did send their sons to
                university to become clergymen and I guess a fisherman who owned
                more than one boat might be that well off. That rarity in this
                context could be an advantage, though. Hm....

                It's such a long time ago! As Michael pointed out, we can assume
                everyone could tie many kinds of knots. They would have been
                essential to daily life. No buttons, even: clothes were laced.
                But trades were learned by apprenticeship, so they would each
                have had their peculiar forms. There wasn't a guild for this basic
                technology; too basic, apparently, for anyone to write about.
                The earliest books I can find at my university library (University
                of Texas) are from the 20's. Er... that's the 1920's!

                Thanks again. When this book comes out (not soon), I will
                definitely acknowledge the International Guild of Knot Tyers
                for vital assistance and much creative insight.

                Anna Castle
                www.annacastle.com
              • M P
                Message 7 of 25 , Sep 18, 2012
                  Oops.  I got the century a bit wrong, didn't I.  Guess I need new glasses. No department stores.  Anyway, folks still wrapped items in cloth, and tied them with a binding knot. Such knots can be ended in a variety of ways, fancier than a standard butchers knot.  ABOK 183-190 etc show a number of variations.

                  Michael Pollock

                • annaca5le
                  Message 8 of 25 , Sep 19, 2012
                    I assumed the department store thing was a slip :-).

                    And I love those butcher's knots! They fit all my fictional needs.
                    They have a nice distinctive form that would be preserved after
                    you cut the rope behind the post: knot on the front, so to speak.

                    If you stood in your shop tying that knot all day for days on
                    end, it would soak right into your fingers. They'd tye it without
                    consulting your brain! perfect for my purposes.

                    Anna Castle

                    --- In knottyers@yahoogroups.com, M P <nexialist02@...> wrote:

                    > Oops.  I got the century a bit wrong, didn't I.  Guess I need new glasses. No department stores.  Anyway, folks still wrapped items in cloth, and tied them with a binding knot. Such knots can be ended in a variety of ways, fancier than a standard butchers knot.  ABOK 183-190 etc show a number of variations.
                    >
                    > Michael Pollock

                  • SKIP HIPPS
                    Message 9 of 25 , Sep 19, 2012
                      Also keep in mind that most knots can be tied both left and right handed.

                      Skip Hipps

                      THE KNOTWRIGHT

                      --- In knottyers@yahoogroups.com<mailto:knottyers%40yahoogroups.com>, M P <nexialist02@...> wrote:

                      > Oops. I got the century a bit wrong, didn't I. Guess I need new glasses. No department stores. Anyway, folks still wrapped items in cloth, and tied them with a binding knot. Such knots can be ended in a variety of ways, fancier than a standard butchers knot. ABOK 183-190 etc show a number of variations.
                      >
                      > Michael Pollock

                    • Rev
                      Message 10 of 25 , Sep 20, 2012
                        But some of us can't get equal tension both ways. I know one "Lady" who can, and will take your money from you if you bet her that she can't!

                        However, who was it that said he could look at a sennit and tell if the person was right, or left handed? Anyone you know?

                        Jerry
                      • jugknot
                        Message 11 of 25 , Nov 13, 2012
                          KnotTyers -

                          Hope this note finds you well. After 2+ years in moving out here to
                          Colorado, I've been able to dust off my knotting skills. Much thanks
                          (as always) to Skip Pennock for the lessons learned from FlatKnot Braiding training -

                          http://securityfeeds.com/pics/Peace@...
                          http://securityfeeds.com/pics/Peace@...

                          Peace is At Hand - Knot!
                          Tim Weil (aka jugknot@...)
                        • Howard Gibbins
                          Message 12 of 25 , Nov 13, 2012
                            Tim,

                            The peace knot is real cool man! Yeah I'm showing my age, anyway where did you get the pattern for this, I'd love to give it a try?

                            Howard

                            My Blog: http://northern-rambler.blogspot.com

                            On 2012-11-13, at 12:26, jugknot wrote:

                            > KnotTyers -
                            >
                            > Hope this note finds you well. After 2+ years in moving out here to
                            > Colorado, I've been able to dust off my knotting skills. Much thanks
                            > (as always) to Skip Pennock for the lessons learned from FlatKnot Braiding training -
                            >
                            > http://securityfeeds.com/pics/Peace@...
                            > http://securityfeeds.com/pics/Peace@...
                            >
                            > Peace is At Hand - Knot!
                            > Tim Weil (aka jugknot@...)

                          • rons_hobbies
                            Message 13 of 25 , Nov 14, 2012
                              Awsum!

                              Ron

                              --- In knottyers@yahoogroups.com, jugknot <no_reply@...> wrote:

                              > KnotTyers -
                              >
                              > Hope this note finds you well. After 2+ years in moving out here to
                              > Colorado, I've been able to dust off my knotting skills. Much thanks
                              > (as always) to Skip Pennock for the lessons learned from FlatKnot Braiding training -
                              >
                              > http://securityfeeds.com/pics/Peace@...
                              > http://securityfeeds.com/pics/Peace@...
                              >
                              > Peace is At Hand - Knot!
                              > Tim Weil (aka jugknot@...)

                            • jugknot
                              Message 14 of 25 , Nov 15, 2012
                                Howard -

                                A few years back, I belonged to the MAR-IGKT (Mid-Atlantic Knot
                                Tyers Guild). One of our members, Skip Pennock, was a master
                                of the Flat-Braiding Knot techniques and wrote a classic book -->

                                Decorative Woven Flat Knots
                                Skip Pennock
                                ISBN 0-9515506-6-7

                                If you search the web, you may find a copy out there. I still have
                                the original CD and will see if I can find the pattern for posting
                                to this list.

                                jugknot <aka Tim>

                                --- In knottyers@yahoogroups.com, Howard Gibbins <hgibbins@...> wrote:

                                > Tim,
                                >
                                > The peace knot is real cool man! Yeah I'm showing my age, anyway where did you get the pattern for this, I'd love to give it a try?
                                >
                                > Howard
                                >
                                > My Blog: http://northern-rambler.blogspot.com
                                >

                                > On 2012-11-13, at 12:26, jugknot wrote:
                                >
                                > > KnotTyers -
                                > >
                                > > Hope this note finds you well. After 2+ years in moving out here to
                                > > Colorado, I've been able to dust off my knotting skills. Much thanks
                                > > (as always) to Skip Pennock for the lessons learned from FlatKnot Braiding training -
                                > >
                                > > http://securityfeeds.com/pics/Peace@...
                                > > http://securityfeeds.com/pics/Peace@...
                                > >
                                > > Peace is At Hand - Knot!
                                > > Tim Weil (aka jugknot@...)

                              • Peter Hennessey
                                Message 15 of 25 , Nov 15, 2012
                                  Available from the IGKT site for 12.50GBP + postage see http://www.igkt.net/supplies/IGKTCatalogue.pdf

                                  Enjoy!

                                  Peter H

                                  By iPhone sent - May the 4s be with you.....

                                  On 15 Nov 2012, at 11:30, jugknot <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                                  > Howard -
                                  >
                                  > A few years back, I belonged to the MAR-IGKT (Mid-Atlantic Knot
                                  > Tyers Guild). One of our members, Skip Pennock, was a master
                                  > of the Flat-Braiding Knot techniques and wrote a classic book -->
                                  >
                                  > Decorative Woven Flat Knots
                                  > Skip Pennock
                                  > ISBN 0-9515506-6-7
                                  >
                                  > If you search the web, you may find a copy out there. I still have
                                  > the original CD and will see if I can find the pattern for posting
                                  > to this list.
                                  >
                                  > jugknot <aka Tim>
                                  >
                                  > --- In knottyers@yahoogroups.com, Howard Gibbins <hgibbins@...> wrote:
                                  > >
                                  > > Tim,
                                  > >
                                  > > The peace knot is real cool man! Yeah I'm showing my age, anyway where did you get the pattern for this, I'd love to give it a try?
                                  > >
                                  > > Howard
                                  > >
                                  > > My Blog: http://northern-rambler.blogspot.com
                                  > >

                                  > > On 2012-11-13, at 12:26, jugknot wrote:
                                  > >
                                  > > > KnotTyers -
                                  > > >
                                  > > > Hope this note finds you well. After 2+ years in moving out here to
                                  > > > Colorado, I've been able to dust off my knotting skills. Much thanks
                                  > > > (as always) to Skip Pennock for the lessons learned from FlatKnot Braiding training -
                                  > > >
                                  > > > http://securityfeeds.com/pics/Peace@...
                                  > > > http://securityfeeds.com/pics/Peace@...
                                  > > >
                                  > > > Peace is At Hand - Knot!
                                  > > > Tim Weil (aka jugknot@...)

                                • Matthew Beaudoin
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Nov 15, 2012
                                    Peter,
                                    What's missing on that PDF is how to order... how do I order some of that for shipment to the US?

                                    Matt Beaudoin
                                    Mystic Knotwork 860.889.3793
                                    Follow us on Twitter and Facebook
                                    Trees are for boats. Think before you print

                                    By iPhone sent - May the 4s be with you.....

                                    On 15 Nov 2012, at 11:30, jugknot <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                                    > Howard -
                                    >
                                    > A few years back, I belonged to the MAR-IGKT (Mid-Atlantic Knot Tyers
                                    > Guild). One of our members, Skip Pennock, was a master of the
                                    > Flat-Braiding Knot techniques and wrote a classic book -->
                                    >
                                    > Decorative Woven Flat Knots
                                    > Skip Pennock
                                    > ISBN 0-9515506-6-7
                                    >
                                    > If you search the web, you may find a copy out there. I still have the
                                    > original CD and will see if I can find the pattern for posting to this
                                    > list.
                                    >
                                    > jugknot <aka Tim>
                                    >
                                    > --- In knottyers@yahoogroups.com, Howard Gibbins <hgibbins@...> wrote:
                                    > >
                                    > > Tim,
                                    > >
                                    > > The peace knot is real cool man! Yeah I'm showing my age, anyway where did you get the pattern for this, I'd love to give it a try?
                                    > >
                                    > > Howard
                                    > >
                                    > > My Blog: http://northern-rambler.blogspot.com
                                    > >

                                    > > On 2012-11-13, at 12:26, jugknot wrote:
                                    > >
                                    > > > KnotTyers -
                                    > > >
                                    > > > Hope this note finds you well. After 2+ years in moving out here
                                    > > > to Colorado, I've been able to dust off my knotting skills. Much
                                    > > > thanks (as always) to Skip Pennock for the lessons learned from
                                    > > > FlatKnot Braiding training -
                                    > > >
                                    > > > http://securityfeeds.com/pics/Peace@...
                                    > > > http://securityfeeds.com/pics/Peace@...
                                    > > >
                                    > > > Peace is At Hand - Knot!
                                    > > > Tim Weil (aka jugknot@...)

                                  • Peter Hennessey
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Nov 15, 2012
                                      Hi Matt,

                                      the page to find both the order form and the PDF catalogue is here - http://www.igkt.net/supplies/index.php

                                      It's probably worth taking a look at the knot charts PDF on this page too - http://www.igkt.net/publications/index.php , and exploring the site and forum a bit too.

                                      Cheers,

                                      Peter H.

                                      Sent from an iPad

                                      On 15 Nov 2012, at 16:21, "Matthew Beaudoin" <matthew.beaudoin@...> wrote:

                                      > Peter,
                                      > What's missing on that PDF is how to order... how do I order some of that for shipment to the US?
                                      >
                                      > Matt Beaudoin
                                      > Mystic Knotwork 860.889.3793
                                      > Follow us on Twitter and Facebook
                                      > Trees are for boats. Think before you print

                                    • jugknot
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Nov 24, 2012
                                        List -

                                        I've but a few hours in at the Knotting Bench trying to improve on
                                        the 'Peace is at Hand - Knot!'. Samples below -

                                        http://securityfeeds.com/pics/Peace_Knot1.jpg
                                        http://securityfeeds.com/pics/Peace_Knot2.jpg

                                        Lessons learned -
                                        On-line Paracord Supplies - http://wildbillwholesale.com
                                        Use of a divided line (cord) @ ~ 6' mark to weave two sides
                                        of the design independently
                                        Patience (and spotting the flaws)
                                        Inexpensive corkboard (mounting) and felt lettering - Michaels

                                        Next task - Doubling the design for a door-size wreath.

                                        jugknot (Tim)
                                        Denver, CO.

                                        --- In knottyers@yahoogroups.com, Peter Hennessey <peterwhennessey@...> wrote:

                                        > Hi Matt,
                                        >
                                        > the page to find both the order form and the PDF catalogue is here - http://www.igkt.net/supplies/index.php
                                        >
                                        > It's probably worth taking a look at the knot charts PDF on this page too - http://www.igkt.net/publications/index.php , and exploring the site and forum a bit too.
                                        >
                                        > Cheers,
                                        >
                                        > Peter H.
                                        >

                                        > Sent from an iPad
                                        >
                                        > On 15 Nov 2012, at 16:21, "Matthew Beaudoin" <matthew.beaudoin@...> wrote:
                                        >
                                        > > Peter,
                                        > > What's missing on that PDF is how to order... how do I order some of that for shipment to the US?
                                        > >
                                        > > Matt Beaudoin
                                        > > Mystic Knotwork 860.889.3793
                                        > > Follow us on Twitter and Facebook
                                        > > Trees are for boats. Think before you print

                                      • Matthew Beaudoin

                                          wrote:

                                          > Hi Matt,
                                          >
                                          > the page to find both the order form and the PDF catalogue is here -
                                          > http://www.igkt.net/supplies/index.php
                                          >
                                          > It's probably worth taking a look at the knot charts PDF on this page too
                                          - http://www.igkt.net/publications/index.php , and exploring the site and
                                          forum a bit too.

                                          > Cheers,
                                          >
                                          > Peter H.
                                          >

                                          > Sent from an iPad
                                          >
                                          > On 15 Nov 2012, at 16:21, "Matthew Beaudoin" <matthew.beaudoin@...> wrote:
                                          >
                                          > > Peter,
                                          > > What's missing on that PDF is how to order... how do I order some of
                                          that for shipment to the US?

                                          > > Matt Beaudoin
                                          > > Mystic Knotwork 860.889.3793
                                          > > Follow us on Twitter and Facebook
                                          > > Trees are for boats. Think before you print

                                        • jugknot
                                          Message 20 of 25 , Nov 27, 2012
                                            Matt -

                                            I've created a Photoshop Gallery - Peace Knot (Piece by Piece) to show the sequential steps in tying this flat-braided woven artwork.
                                            Not sure if 'sharing' will make this gallery generally available (or knot) but here is the URL -

                                            http://www.photoshop.com/users/securityfeeds/albums/4aeac9898d3340369509def74ab7d72e/slideshow

                                            jugknot (aka Tim)

                                            Message 21 of 25 , Nov 27, 2012
                                              It worked for me jugknot. That was pretty cool. Might have to give that a
                                              whirl when I get a little time around the holidays.

                                              terry

                                            • Mad Charity Black
                                              Message 22 of 25 , Nov 27, 2012
                                                VERY cool! Thanks for sharing!!