Preserving Cotton Rope

  • Roger
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 4, 2012
      So after tying a couple of dozen Little Lump Knot projects out of paracord I finally did one using #30 cotton rope. I really like how it turned out. What is the proper method of preserving and protecting the cotton? Does one use varnish? What kind of varnish? Thanks.
    • threelees1@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 22, 2012
        I like to leave it unfinished because I like the raw, weathered look. I
        get my cotton from Marty Combs, and it doesn't seem to need preservative.

        In a message dated 7/21/2012 11:14:23 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
        unclerojelio@... writes:

        So after tying a couple of dozen Little Lump Knot projects out of paracord
        I finally did one using #30 cotton rope. I really like how it turned out.
        What is the proper method of preserving and protecting the cotton? Does one
        use varnish? What kind of varnish? Thanks.

      • Matthew Beaudoin
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 22, 2012
          For my tiller, I cut some marine spar varnish 50/50 with turpentine and soaked the heck out of it. The varnish turned the cord a dark straw color, but since the knots would be exposed 24/365 I felt it was worth the color change.

          Matt Beaudoin
          Mystic Knotwork 860.889.3793
          Follow us on Twitter and Facebook
          Trees are for boats. Think before you print