Re: [KnotTyers] bottle knotting

  • Tom Wolf
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 24, 2012
      Poly or sisal is about all you can find any more cotten in hard to find?? Maybe at an old shipstore?
        Good Luck
       Tom

      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 24, 2012
        I have been bottle knotting and found a good source of small cord from a place in New Bedford MA:

        http://rwrope.com/knot-tyers/twine-and-cord.html

        Check out their "Handy Hundred"

        Cam

        ________________________________
        What type of cord is recommended for bottle knotting? I remember as a teen stopping by the hardware store for a ball of tightly wound cotton cord. Those days are apparently gone as all I can find is poly and sisal. Any suggestions?

      • Kathlean Wolf
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 24, 2012
          When I dress my bottle-wraps I usually end up with very high tension; after once blowing out a cotton rope, I stick with things that have a greater than 200 pound test.  Nylon or nylon-poly and hemp are my favorites.  Hemp will loosen up, obviously, so take that into account when you're deciding what you want your bottle to look like.  (Personally I just don't like the feel of sisal, manila, or jute, so I can't speak to them.)

          I would suggest that you check in with Marty Combs at:
          http://www.angelfire.com/ak/skateworld/index.html

          He's got what you want.

          On 6/24/2012 8:38 AM, bookbinder45 wrote:

          > What type of cord is recommended for bottle knotting? I remember as a
          > teen stopping by the hardware store for a ball of tightly wound cotton
          > cord. Those days are apparently gone as all I can find is poly and
          > sisal. Any suggestions?

        • Rev
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 25, 2012
            What kind of design do you have in mind?

            Traditionalist will use cotton, but decent stuff is hard to find. Marty has some but you'd do best to call him and tell him what you're doing so you get the hardest drawn stuff he's got. If it's soft it won't hold it's knot shape and design to your satisfaction.

            Synthetic stuff in the 2 mm range would work, but it's synthetic. And while there's lots of it available, you'd do best to stay with white, or a color you can trust. Some of the manufacturers color their line in a pressure cooker process that doesn't hold up real well. White and black, especially from Gladding Rope Works are good. Nibrol is another source. Both of them, however, require an order of about 500 meter spools. That would make a lot of bottles, but you could learn how to make frames and lanyards along the way.

            Good luck with your bottles. And, hey, get the right kind, treat yourself to the contents and maybe the rest of it won't seem so important.

            CU
            Jerry
          • bookbinder45
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 26, 2012
              No definite plans as yet. I had some cord in the craft closet/avalanche room that I believe I purchased from Marty several years back. It's cotton with a good twist and the knots seem to be holding up well. I had some gallon bottles, cord, and was getting tired of knitting, hence the project. Thought it would be refreshing to work on the fly after weeks of following instructions and charts. Haven't done macrame since the 70s and it's fun to see what comes back- smell of the cotton cord, seeing cords in groups of 4, etc. Nice to know the synapses are still firing!

              I have to find that photo. I believe it was a CA IGKT group meeting. A man was knotting over a HUGE bottle and I remember saving the photo - where I saved it, who knows. Computer storage is a mystery to me.

              Perhaps I'll try ply split braiding on the 2nd bottle.

              What is everyone else working on?