E-mail virus... unwanted activity...

    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 5, 2012
      All,

      I've put both members accounts back on moderation. I'll do the same for anyone else that has an 'issue'. I've deleted any messages pertaining to the problem.

      Ed
    • Frayed Knot Arts
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 13, 2012
        What I've found so far is that this is actually a piece of Malware which sticks itself in your computer's operating files as soon as you (unfortunately) click on the link in the original email. This is facilitated by the fact that the "sender" is someone you probably know...

        The first thing you'll be aware of are a number of return-undeliverable emails. The program gets all the addresses in your address book, sends them a phony email with the link, then goes quiescent for an unspecified length of time. In the interim, you are dealing with returned-undeliverable, and then people asking if you've left your senses...

        IMMEDIATELY change your password(s) to access your email program(s). It cannot "go back" and get a newly installed password, and so it can't follow thru on part two of the game: deleting all your contacts and addresses in your email programmes.

        This all does have one advantage: you get to find out that a large portion of your address book is invalid, and you can either just can the bouncing address or try to find a new one for the person.

        Either way, this is a major PITA. Hopefully the person(s) who initially decided to perpetrate this on the internet will come down with some repugnant and uncomfortable disease.

        --- In knottyers@yahoogroups.com, knotslipstick <no_reply@...> wrote:

        > All,
        >
        > I've put both members accounts back on moderation. I'll do the same for anyone else that has an 'issue'. I've deleted any messages pertaining to the problem.
        >
        > Ed

      • Adam Carter
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 13, 2012
          If you have a legitimated version of Windows Vista or 7, download Microsoft
          Security Essentials. It is free, provided by Microsoft, and is hands down
          the best anti-virus currently on the market.

          Download Malware Bytes, it is the best anti-malware tool on the market.

          Download AdAware, it is the best anti-adware tool on the market.

          On Wed, Jun 13, 2012 at 9:38 PM, Frayed Knot Arts
          <frayedknotarts@...>wrote:

          > **
          >

          > What I've found so far is that this is actually a piece of Malware which
          > sticks itself in your computer's operating files as soon as you
          > (unfortunately) click on the link in the original email. This is
          > facilitated by the fact that the "sender" is someone you probably know...
          >
          > The first thing you'll be aware of are a number of return-undeliverable
          > emails. The program gets all the addresses in your address book, sends them
          > a phony email with the link, then goes quiescent for an unspecified length
          > of time. In the interim, you are dealing with returned-undeliverable, and
          > then people asking if you've left your senses...
          >
          > IMMEDIATELY change your password(s) to access your email program(s). It
          > cannot "go back" and get a newly installed password, and so it can't follow
          > thru on part two of the game: deleting all your contacts and addresses in
          > your email programmes.
          >
          > This all does have one advantage: you get to find out that a large portion
          > of your address book is invalid, and you can either just can the bouncing
          > address or try to find a new one for the person.
          >
          > Either way, this is a major PITA. Hopefully the person(s) who initially
          > decided to perpetrate this on the internet will come down with some
          > repugnant and uncomfortable disease.
          >

          > --- In knottyers@yahoogroups.com, knotslipstick <no_reply@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > All,
          > >
          > > I've put both members accounts back on moderation. I'll do the same for
          > anyone else that has an 'issue'. I've deleted any messages pertaining to
          > the problem.
          > >
          > > Ed

        • Matthew Beaudoin
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 13, 2012
            Vince,
            Does Lavasoft's Adaware or other malware detectors or removers discover this
            Trojan?

            -Apologies to the group for the off topic, but I felt it has merit in
            reducing further intrusion from similar events.

            Matt Beaudoin
            Mystic Knotwork
            Trees are for boats. Think before you print

            What I've found so far is that this is actually a piece of Malware which
            sticks itself in your computer's operating files as soon as you
            (unfortunately) click on the link in the original email. This is
            facilitated by the fact that the "sender" is someone you probably know...

            The first thing you'll be aware of are a number of return-undeliverable
            emails. The program gets all the addresses in your address book, sends them
            a phony email with the link, then goes quiescent for an unspecified length
            of time. In the interim, you are dealing with returned-undeliverable, and
            then people asking if you've left your senses...

            IMMEDIATELY change your password(s) to access your email program(s). It
            cannot "go back" and get a newly installed password, and so it can't follow
            thru on part two of the game: deleting all your contacts and addresses in
            your email programmes.

            This all does have one advantage: you get to find out that a large portion
            of your address book is invalid, and you can either just can the bouncing
            address or try to find a new one for the person.

            Either way, this is a major PITA. Hopefully the person(s) who initially
            decided to perpetrate this on the internet will come down with some
            repugnant and uncomfortable disease.

            --- In knottyers@yahoogroups.com, knotslipstick <no_reply@...> wrote:

            > All,
            >
            > I've put both members accounts back on moderation. I'll do the same for
            anyone else that has an 'issue'. I've deleted any messages pertaining to
            the problem.

            > Ed

          • Frayed Knot Arts
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 13, 2012
              Hands-down, IMO, Windows Essentials is the best free antivirus out there at present. For some reason, it did not detect this before SWMBO clicked on the link. Lava-Soft MAY pick it up, but from the number of infected emails I've been getting, I'll bet not.

              I'm still researching this (and you may wish to do so as well) but it seems to be some sort of a "root-kit" virus which would not be picked up by most "anti-virii".

              I'm off to St. Michaels for the boat show and won't be able to work on this until next week, but anyone who'd like to is more than welcome to surprise me with a solution! (Hint, hint...)
            • Frayed Knot Arts
              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 1, 2012
                (It's always better to email me as I use the "web only" method of reading the groups and am likely to be rather late to the game.)

                Not to my knowledge. I'm not all that familiar with just how it works, just the bandaid.