New Braid

  • Rev
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 3, 2012
      For those of you that do picture frames or lanyards and need a new braid to work with, may I suggest the Double Ridge Crocodile Back flavors? I just posted a picture of one I'm working on in "Senior Chief's Studies" photo album. Skip Hipps has baited me into making a "one off" lanyard of unusual knotting and braiding. I went with this one simply because I'd never seen anyone tie it before.

      The Crocodiles are typically tied in ten strands. That makes a braid that resembles a half round with little bights on the sides. A very nice sennit and I'm using them in the frame I'm making and actually tied them in two colors.

      However, I needed a sennit that was wider for the frame so I figured out how to widen it to fourteen strands, and that worked quite nicely.

      Now comes this lanyard and I wanted a wide neck piece, so I widened it again to eighteen and there it is. It can be expanded to any even number of lines but there will be a practical limit. Also, with a little imagination, I can see TWO ridges tied to look like train tracks, and I don't even want to think about what to call that one.

      Tension is CRITICAL with this one, so plan to take your time with it. I tied this one to be 36" and it took just over two hours to do; plan accordingly.

      Jerry
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 3, 2012
        Very nice work!

        --- In knottyers@yahoogroups.com, "Rev" <revjerry@...> wrote:

        > For those of you that do picture frames or lanyards and need a new braid to work with, may I suggest the Double Ridge Crocodile Back flavors? I just posted a picture of one I'm working on in "Senior Chief's Studies" photo album. Skip Hipps has baited me into making a "one off" lanyard of unusual knotting and braiding. I went with this one simply because I'd never seen anyone tie it before.
        >
        > The Crocodiles are typically tied in ten strands. That makes a braid that resembles a half round with little bights on the sides. A very nice sennit and I'm using them in the frame I'm making and actually tied them in two colors.
        >
        > However, I needed a sennit that was wider for the frame so I figured out how to widen it to fourteen strands, and that worked quite nicely.
        >
        > Now comes this lanyard and I wanted a wide neck piece, so I widened it again to eighteen and there it is. It can be expanded to any even number of lines but there will be a practical limit. Also, with a little imagination, I can see TWO ridges tied to look like train tracks, and I don't even want to think about what to call that one.
        >
        > Tension is CRITICAL with this one, so plan to take your time with it. I tied this one to be 36" and it took just over two hours to do; plan accordingly.
        >
        > Jerry

      • rons_hobbies
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 4, 2012
          Very nice Chief. "Takes a lot of caffeine, or Valium" - no comment . . . I think 2 hrs. would be about two NCIS reruns with my GF in "together" time :-)

          What length cordage did you allow for the 36"?

          Ron

          --- In knottyers@yahoogroups.com, "Rev" <revjerry@...> wrote:
          > For those of you that do picture frames or lanyards and need a new braid to work with, may I suggest the Double Ridge Crocodile Back flavors? I just posted a picture of one I'm working on in "Senior Chief's Studies" photo album. Skip Hipps has baited me into making a "one off" lanyard of unusual knotting and braiding. I went with this one simply because I'd never seen anyone tie it before.
          <Snip>
          > Tension is CRITICAL with this one, so plan to take your time with it. I tied this one to be 36" and it took just over two hours to do; plan accordingly.
          >
          > Jerry

        • Rev
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 5, 2012
            Ron,
            Just to be safe I used a 3:1 consumption ratio. That was a little generous, but I'd rather have line left over than to run out.

            NCIS reruns? Too early in the season for that up this way. We're still getting the new ones. I think there's a channel on cable that does do the reruns but it's not something I go looking for.

            Let me know how it works for you if you decide to try the Crocodile. There's more than one way to tie them, or so I'm told, and I'm always looking for "easier." The books that show it often show the "Single," and I don't like it as much as the double, so keep that in mind.

            CU
            Jerry