Re: new knotter

  • lady862003
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 31, 2011
      thank u Jerry thats about what i will do i bought some macrame cord to do a little experiments with
      andrea

      --- In knottyers@yahoogroups.com, "Rev" <revjerry@...> wrote:

      > Andrea,
      > Welcome! This is a good place to pick up on all sorts of neat ideas, get encouragement and meet people from a wide background. We all have an interest in decorative knotting, but we're all "folks" too, so don't be surprised if conversations take interesting tuns.
      >
      > The "Small Balls" you refer to are properly called "Globe Knots." You can find directions for tying them in a number of different places and they aren't real hard to do. Don Burrhus has written what I think is a great guide and you can find it at his web site, as well as a lot of other information. knottools.com is a great link and you'll see some examples of how the globes are formed.
      >
      > A five strand, four bight Turks Head makes a nice globe knot too. You need a core and a 1/2 inch marble works as do small wooden beads in the 1/2" and larger sizes. Tie the knot however you can and draw it down over the core. Larger marbles or wooden balls would require larger line or more passes, or both, but that Turks Head works well. And there's no law that says a Turks Head can only be passed three times. So if you tie it with three passes and you can still see the core, add another pass, or two.
      >
      > I'd recommend you look up the Ashley Book of Knots and the Encyclopedia of Knots and Fancy Work. Both are always available on eBay and comprise a great collection of knots, braids, fancy work, functional knotting and a wealth of background. There's any number of web based forums where you can find methods and techniques too; You Tube is a great source; type in "How to tie a Matthew Walker Knot" and you'll get all sorts of videos.
      >
      > Hang around this group too, ask questions and you'll likely get lots of guidance. Most of us are "Self Taught" since there aren't any decorative knotting colleges. Mostly, it's a matter of experimenting, find stuff that works for you and putting it together in creative ways.
      >
      > Again, welcome to the group and don't be bashful. Some of us have a rough exterior, but it's easy to get past.
      >
      > CU
      > Jerry

    • rons_hobbies
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 31, 2011
        Just to second comments on the fancy knots,once you start looking through the group links and files, you will learn the terms and that will help you find many others. http://www.instructables.com/ has a lot of knots using parachute shroud line or "Paracord" or "550" cord because it is rated to hold 550#.. You can learn the fancy without deep understanding of the working knots, bu if you learn the ones mentioned you will also get a better understanding of how knots are explained and then find more opportunities to use them then you probably imagined. This guy posts a lot of knot tutorials, mostly with 550 cord:

        http://stormdrane.blogspot.com/

        If you need to be cost conscious, us the library and kep an eye out for discarded window blinds. The cord isn't great, but for the price it is good for practice. Easy to color with a Sharpie so you can follow where the working end is going.

        Ron