A New Picture Frame

  • Rev
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 10, 2011
      For those of you with an interest in making Picture Frames, I've got another one started and just posted the first set of pictures in an album named, "A New Picture Frame." In this one I'm using some new sennits, well, new to me anyway, that I've found in some older Whip Making and Saddle making literature. I've had to do some modifications to a couple to make them work but that's part of the process.

      Won't bore you with details unless asked, but it's under way and I'm having quite a time of it. Frames are fun to do and I hope to incite some interest in how they go together.

      CU
      Jerry
    • pspiering@wi.rr.com
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 12, 2011
        Rev,

        I'm glad you decided to do this. I know that there are people out there with an interest in frames with no resources to look at. You will probably only hear from some of them e.g. me, but I know there are more. I met a couple at the IGKT at Indy.

        I think I am going to make a white and black boatswain's lanyard over Christmas, if I have the time. I may have a question for you here and there. I'm going to use info from Vince Brennan's site as a guide.

        One of my biggest problems for frames is the woodworking. I asked a friend, who wanted a frame, to try to find one with a wide border that would be suitable. I've found that this just isn't working. I can use a router and do basic woodwork, but I have to clear the garage, do it, and then clean up. I really need another building to keep all my stuff. The garage is pretty full of fishing rods and other stuff already.

        Have a great day,
        Pat

      • threelees1@aol.com
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 24, 2011
          To all my knotty friends, a very merry Christmas, happy Chanukah, and
          anything else you wish to celebrate this festive time of the year. God bless
          andkeep tying throughout the new year.

          Walter Seltzer
          The Knot Knut
          Creative Rope Designs

        • Rev
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 24, 2011
            Thanks for the nice thoughts.

            And, to add to MY joy, I just finished adding all my new sennits to the New Picture Frame album. I've used some unusual sennits as well as one I modified pretty significantly to get it wide enough for where I wanted it.

            PLEASE! No comments on the corner seams; I know they need work and that's next. Other comments and questions are always welcome.

            Happy Holidays to all
          • knothead1008
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 25, 2011
              All I got to say is awsome work and there is much drooling over here. The one braid you did with the raised edge is what is known to us leather braiders as the Alligator Ridge Braid. It gives a totally different look to the edges with cord than it does with leather. With leather it is just a flat braid on the edges and raised in the center like yours is.

              Very nice work Rev...

              Brian....

              --- In knottyers@yahoogroups.com, "Rev" <revjerry@...> wrote:

              > Thanks for the nice thoughts.
              >
              > And, to add to MY joy, I just finished adding all my new sennits to the New Picture Frame album. I've used some unusual sennits as well as one I modified pretty significantly to get it wide enough for where I wanted it.
              >
              > PLEASE! No comments on the corner seams; I know they need work and that's next. Other comments and questions are always welcome.
              >
              > Happy Holidays to all

            • Rev
              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 25, 2011
                Brian,
                Thank you for your kind words.

                The braid of which you speak is a Crocodile Double Ridge, not an Alligator. It comes out of Australia, but can you really trust people whose toilets flush backwards to know what they're talking about? They are fearless with their braids, but maybe they don't know the difference between those two animals.

                Anyway, that braid is normally tied in ten strands. I needed something with more width and love the way that center ridge stands up. So I tie it in FOURTEEN! That enhances the braiding on the side, gave it the width I needed and is a braid I've never seen anyone else do in that many strands.

                This one is going up on my wall so I'm taking a bit more time with it to get stuff done I might not do otherwise. The seam covers are "Planned" to be Globe Knot Bouquets. I've started tying up the globe knots and will wrap them in Turks Head petals. Going to take a lot of them but everyone needs something to keep them out of the bars at night.

                Thanks again,
                Jerry
              • Rev
                Message 7 of 9 , May 2, 2012
                  Posted a new picture in the album of the same name of my frame with all four corners covered. Some of you were wondering what I would do to balance things. Well, I won't give away all my secrets except to say there's still a couple of decisions to make. However, at this point, I have everything on the frame that I'd planned to be there.

                  There's still some Ornamental knotting needed on the front sections that don't have anything, but that's the easy part. The hard part, getting all those Globe knot flowers done and attached, is complete and I'm glad not to have any more of them lying in pieces around the work table.

                  I need to take a break and tie a couple of lanyards before I decide what else to do with this one.

                  Suggestions?

                  Jerry
                • Lindsey Philpott
                  Message 8 of 9 , May 8, 2012
                    Nice work Jerry!  If it was me I would not do more - but that's me.

                    Lindsey
                    Board Member IGKTPAB

                    ________________________________

                    Message 9 of 9 , May 10, 2012
                      --- In knottyers@yahoogroups.com, Lindsey Philpott <pilgrimsailor@...> wrote:

                      > Nice work Jerry!  If it was me I would not do more - but that's me.
                      >

                      > Lindsey
                      > Board Member IGKTPAB

                      Lindsey,
                      Thanks for the compliment. Coming from you, that's high praise and I appreciate it. As far as what else goes on, I've turned that problem over to my "Designer/associate/wife" and she's working on it. At this point she's managed to come up with two sets of triple carrick bends joined with a lovely over/under braid. Unlike anything I've ever seen. Hard to know what else she may figure out.

                      Better go see what she's up to.

                      Thanks again,
                      Jerry