Turksheads

  • aknotter
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 30 3:28 PM
      Just uploaded a new album named "Turksheads". It's pics of a couple
      of turksheads I placed on a flashlight some time back. I used the
      braid with button and loop so I can hang the flashlight over a tree
      limb, or over the roll bar in my Jeep.
    • battleship_62
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 8, 2002
        Hi Knotters: Has anyone else had the rare oppurtunity to make 4 and 5
        strand turksheads and put them on canvas covered lifelines of
        U.S. Navy Battleships as I did. If so perhaps we can swap sea
        stories.
        Charlie
      • ombagc11
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 14, 2002
          --- In knottyers@y..., "battleship_62" <knottyer77@l...> wrote:

          > Hi Knotters: Has anyone else had the rare oppurtunity to make 4
          and 5
          > strand turksheads and put them on canvas covered lifelines of
          > U.S. Navy Battleships as I did. If so perhaps we can swap sea
          > stories.
          > Charlie

          Did not make them for a Battleship, but was on the USS ELDORADO AGC-11
          which was a Flagship, therefore, all spit and polish. Was a BM
          striker, and did all kinds of fancy work for the deck departments
          areas. Put turks heads on stantions, railings, and other things.

          david 91yj@...
        • stwood68
          Message 4 of 6 , May 28, 2005
            The reference by T J Bartruff in responce to Jerry Chan's post is
            a revelation to anyone interested in turkshead knots. He gives you a
            table and graph that can be used to construct any size or shape knot.
            I generally try any new knot on a wooden mandrel with removable pins.
            I have discovered that I can crop a section of his mat grid to
            correspond to the desired knot and print it at the top of a page. Then
            I can take a highlighter or colored pencil and "run in" the leads. by
            numbering the mandrel pins and the bight turns on the grid in a
            corresponding manner, I can start by any pin and "tie the knot" with
            the pencil. By noting the pin you start at, and each following pin,
            you find the path around the knot, and by writing the crossings
            between pins as they are encountered, (with o(ver, or u(nder), I
            generate a running list, or formula, that allows me to do the knot on
            the mandrel directly. Just remember that when you come to the edge of
            the grid, you have to jump to the other side to continue.
            Sidney Wood
            Clyde Tx.
          • Letty Lechner
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 12, 2005
              Hello everybody.

              Just got back from summercamp and finally got the hang of making large
              Turksheads. You can find my pictures at:

              http://ffvdelft.speed.planet.nl/coppernew/index.php?cat=3

              André: I’m still working on the other project, but forgot to take it with me
              on summercamp to end it… So it may take a while longer than I thought.
              Already working on it for a year…

              Is there more information on the October meeting in Den Helder?

              Greetings,

              Letty Lechner

              Scouting Holendrecht, Amsterdam, The Netherlands.

              PS if you would like to see the photo’s of our summercamp, go to
              http://ffvdelft.speed.planet.nl/coppermine/thumbnails.php?album=58

            • André
              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 13, 2005
                Hi Letty,

                Hope you had a great camp. Nice knotwork you have there.

                it's also good to see that the scouts are taking interest in tying
                knots...keep them going.

                About that bow fender, well "wat in het vat zit verzuurt niet" i am
                sure you will finish it one day.

                Take care

                André

                --- In knottyers@yahoogroups.com, Letty Lechner <letty.lechner@p...>