Re: [KnotTyers] programs for drawing knotting grids for a class...

  • stwood
    Message 1 of 24 , Jun 1, 2011
      fancnanc wrote:

      > Hi - anyone know of a/some programs that draw out the grids for a knot
      > and perhaps the run list as to when to go over or under, etc. ??
      >
      > I want to draw some grids for knots for a class - tried making a knot
      > over a cork - size was ok, pins were too long, and needs some paper or
      > covering to allow the needle and cord to slide through easier.
      > (Cheaper than purchasing the tools from DonB at this point for a class)
      >
      > Thanks
      > Nancy B

      Nancy;
      Acceptable orthhonogal grids can be done with any bitmapped graphic
      editor such as "Paint" in MS Windows or "Paint Brush" on a Mac.
      The run lists can be extracted from them by using the color fill to run
      them segment by segment and noting the crossings as they
      occur.
      If you want, I can send you a file of a large grid to work with.
      Doing them this way is a little bit tedious, but is a learning process
      that stresses some basic principles such as bight increment
      and progression.
      Sidney Wood
    • Peter W Hennessey
      Message 2 of 24 , Jun 1, 2011
        Hi Nancy,

        You might want to look at this as a possible solution. http://www.knotworkn.com/CordageCalchtml.html I haven't used it much but it looks pretty good to me.

        Regards, Peter H.

        > --- In knottyers@yahoogroups.com, "fancnanc" <nancy@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Hi - anyone know of a/some programs that draw out the grids for a knot and perhaps the run list as to when to go over or under, etc. ??
        > >
        > > I want to draw some grids for knots for a class - tried making a knot over a cork - size was ok, pins were too long, and needs some paper or covering to allow the needle and cord to slide through easier. (Cheaper than purchasing the tools from DonB at this point for a class)
        > >
        > > Thanks
        > > Nancy B

      • fancnanc
        Message 3 of 24 , Jun 1, 2011
          Soo - you all are telling me that GridMaker is the only program available to draw a knot, right? Does it do globe knots as well as turks heads? will it also do nested bights for spherical coverings?
          I find this hard to believe... only one suggestion for a program???
          Nancy Barnhart

          Has anyone tried RKnotBuilder by Claude Houchet (french guy)?? I know it was written in French, but there's an English version of the manual/instructions to go along with the program...

          --- In knottyers@yahoogroups.com, "Brian" <boneel@...> wrote:

          > also - paper towel or toilet paper tubes stuffed with newspaper with T Pins make a great, inexpensive starting point for pinned mandrels. personally, i find larger is better as one learns...
          >
          > i use paper towel tubes, and paracord when introducing folks to THKs
          >
          > --- In knottyers@yahoogroups.com, "fancnanc" <nancy@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi - anyone know of a/some programs that draw out the grids for a knot and perhaps the run list as to when to go over or under, etc. ??
          > >
          > > I want to draw some grids for knots for a class - tried making a knot over a cork - size was ok, pins were too long, and needs some paper or covering to allow the needle and cord to slide through easier. (Cheaper than purchasing the tools from DonB at this point for a class)
          > >
          > > Thanks
          > > Nancy B

        • fancnanc
          Message 4 of 24 , Jun 1, 2011
            I do not want to make a 'tool' I want to draw a knot and have the program tell me whether it can be made with one strand of cord and also draw the overs and unders in the grid, etc.

            So many replies and only one with a program like I asked...hmm

            I am hoping there is a program in English which will work, rather than to learn a french program - tis hard enough in English for a beginner! lol
            Nancy B

            --- In knottyers@yahoogroups.com, Carol Wang <wangc@...> wrote:

            > > --- In knottyers@yahoogroups.com, "fancnanc" <nancy@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > I want to draw some grids for knots for a class - tried making a knot over a cork - size was ok, pins were too long, and needs some paper or covering to allow the needle and cord to slide through easier. (Cheaper than purchasing the tools from DonB at this point for a class)
            >
            > for teaching a class for DonB style globe knots, I made a tool out of chopsticks, toothpicks and elastic bands. it's not pretty but it works and the materials are essentially free. show them Don's pretty tools and books to encourage them to buy the good tools if they like the globe knot they've made. here's my blog about the class with pictures of the tool we made.
            >
            > http://www.knottynotions.com/globe/makeshift-tool
            >
            > for the mat knots, use a scrap piece of wood and some nails.
            > --
            > Carol Wang http://www.daoofsilk.com/ The Dao of Silk
            > http://www.chineseknotting.org/ The Chinese Knotting Home Page
            > http://www.skate.org/ Information for the Figure Skating Fan

          • DonB
            Message 5 of 24 , Jun 1, 2011
              Nancy, regarding this:

              --- In knottyers@yahoogroups.com, "fancnanc" <nancy@...> wrote:

              > I am hoping there is a program in English which will work, rather than to learn a french program - tis hard enough in English for a beginner! lol
              > Nancy B

              Quit yer whining. With all your time spent knotting, you should be able to learn French in a day or two.

              NOT!

              Have fun...

              Don Bursell
              Mora, MN
            • Richard Cornish
              Message 6 of 24 , Jun 1, 2011
                Hi Nancy,

                Your original message sounds like you needed suggestions for a mandrel. I
                thought Carol's reply was great. I love hearing how others come up with ideas,
                so thanks Carol!

                As to the GM making Pineapple Knots, Tim's working on it. Check out this one he
                sent us.
                http://www.khww.net/forum/viewthread.php?thread_id=1062

                You could make your own PK grid, too. I made a tutorial/grid for a 16p x 16b, 2
                pass, Type 1 Pineapple Knot and Brian was kind enough to put it in the tutorial
                section over at KHWW.net. I used the Grid Maker to make the base knot and used
                Adobe to draw in the interweave. If you don't have Adobe, a ruler and magic
                marker will work just as well. I then re-sized it to fit a toilet paper tube. I
                was only able to do this after learning the rules of the PKs, which I learned
                by following tutorials here: http://pineapple.myfunforum.org/index.php Pat's
                grids are much better. lol
                You can always re-size the grid from the GM to fit any size mandrel. If you know
                the size of the knot, using cereal box cardboard and resizing the grid to just a
                little larger will cut down dressing the knot, although I kind of like that part
                as sometimes I feel this is harder than tying the knot. lol Cardboard "gives" a
                little so you can squeeze your "under" if the knot gets tight towards the latter
                half cycles.

                Scott taught us how to re-size the grids:
                Scott wrote:
                Hi, for those out there who would like to be able to print the generated thk
                graphic for later use on a mandrel to follow, here is what I have found works
                for me. :

                Generate the THK on site.
                Right click on image to view image.
                Right click "Save as".
                Save to a knotting directory (folder).
                Create word document with name of the THK.
                Open document.
                Click on Insert at the top then Picture in the drop down menu.
                Navigate to the folder with the picture and double click on that file.
                Once picture is in the document click on format at top, then picture in small
                window, find tab for size click and adjust according to desire.

                Then copy and paste in the O/U chart.
                Print.
                This procedure will give you the graphic without the black background so the
                numbers will show and the ability to size it accordingly.

                I know it's not as easy as just following overs and unders, but once you learn
                the rules, we don't need no stinking run lists. jk lol

                Hope this helps,

                Rick
                skyout

                ________________________________
                I do not want to make a 'tool' I want to draw a knot and have the program tell
                me whether it can be made with one strand of cord and also draw the overs and
                unders in the grid, etc.

                So many replies and only one with a program like I asked...hmm

                I am hoping there is a program in English which will work, rather than to learn
                a french program - tis hard enough in English for a beginner! lol

                Nancy B

                --- In knottyers@yahoogroups.com, Carol Wang <wangc@...> wrote:

                > > --- In knottyers@yahoogroups.com, "fancnanc" <nancy@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > I want to draw some grids for knots for a class - tried making a knot over
                >a cork - size was ok, pins were too long, and needs some paper or covering to
                >allow the needle and cord to slide through easier. (Cheaper than purchasing the
                >tools from DonB at this point for a class)
                >
                > for teaching a class for DonB style globe knots, I made a tool out of
                >chopsticks, toothpicks and elastic bands. it's not pretty but it works and the
                >materials are essentially free. show them Don's pretty tools and books to
                >encourage them to buy the good tools if they like the globe knot they've made.
                >here's my blog about the class with pictures of the tool we made.
                >
                > http://www.knottynotions.com/globe/makeshift-tool
                >
                > for the mat knots, use a scrap piece of wood and some nails.
                > --
                > Carol Wang http://www.daoofsilk.com/ The Dao of Silk
                > http://www.chineseknotting.org/ The Chinese Knotting Home Page
                > http://www.skate.org/ Information for the Figure Skating Fan

              • Ricco Dev
                Message 7 of 24 , Jun 2, 2011
                  Hello Nancy
                  I developed two software in French AND in English (so Spanish, Italian, German, Dutch, Portuguese). The first for turk¡¦s head single strand with all coding : U1O1, column coded, row coded and neither row nor column coded, in my knowledge RKnot Builder is the only software that offers this type of coding wih grid drawing and list of Over/Under, and full various functions ¡K but unfortunately the khww¡¦s administrator excluded me ƒº maybe my programs is too difficult for him and/or he don¡¦t love french !! After Rknot Builder V3, I develop Ariane, this soft do globe knots, do also nested bights for all coverings, do regular, asymmetric and irregular knots and do herringbone, pineapple, ¡K but a new time ¡K. Excluded me, maybe ¡K. Finally it does not matter, the stupidity is everywhere, isn¡¦t it?. I developed software for expert knot tyers but also and especially for beginner. Nancy if it¡¦s for a chidren class these software are free for you , I love children (Ihave four) and I love american (my son works in Boston), you can contact me by mail
                  Best regards
                  Claude

                  --- In knottyers@yahoogroups.com, "fancnanc" <nancy@...> wrote:

                  > Soo - you all are telling me that GridMaker is the only program available to draw a knot, right? Does it do globe knots as well as turks heads? will it also do nested bights for spherical coverings?
                  > I find this hard to believe... only one suggestion for a program???
                  > Nancy Barnhart
                  >
                  > Has anyone tried RKnotBuilder by Claude Houchet (french guy)?? I know it was written in French, but there's an English version of the manual/instructions to go along with the program...
                  >

                  > --- In knottyers@yahoogroups.com, "Brian" <boneel@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > also - paper towel or toilet paper tubes stuffed with newspaper with T Pins make a great, inexpensive starting point for pinned mandrels. personally, i find larger is better as one learns...
                  > >
                  > > i use paper towel tubes, and paracord when introducing folks to THKs
                  > >
                  > > --- In knottyers@yahoogroups.com, "fancnanc" <nancy@> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > Hi - anyone know of a/some programs that draw out the grids for a knot and perhaps the run list as to when to go over or under, etc. ??
                  > > >
                  > > > I want to draw some grids for knots for a class - tried making a knot over a cork - size was ok, pins were too long, and needs some paper or covering to allow the needle and cord to slide through easier. (Cheaper than purchasing the tools from DonB at this point for a class)
                  > > >
                  > > > Thanks
                  > > > Nancy B

                • Ricco Dev
                  Message 8 of 24 , Jun 2, 2011
                    Ohhhhhh no RKnot Builder and Ariane are in English, manual in English, it¡¦s possible to learn French but not for use these software ƒº
                    Best regards at all
                    Claude

                    --- In knottyers@yahoogroups.com, "DonB" <donbursell@...> wrote:

                    > Nancy, regarding this:
                    >
                    > --- In knottyers@yahoogroups.com, "fancnanc" <nancy@> wrote:
                    >
                    > > I am hoping there is a program in English which will work, rather than to learn a french program - tis hard enough in English for a beginner! lol
                    > > Nancy B
                    > >

                    > Quit yer whining. With all your time spent knotting, you should be able to learn French in a day or two.
                    >
                    > NOT!
                    >
                    > Have fun...
                    >
                    > Don Bursell
                    > Mora, MN

                  • Ricco Dev
                    Message 9 of 24 , Jun 2, 2011
                      I know it's not as easy as just following overs and unders, but once you learn
                      the rules, we don't need no stinking run lists. jk lol

                      Ohh, oh again and again !!! I do not think Ariane/RKnot Builder do not stink lists
                      Best regards all
                      Claude

                      Message 10 of 24 , Jun 2, 2011
                        Ohhhhhh no ! RKnot Builder and Ariane are in English, manual in English, it's possible to learn French but not for use these software
                        :-))
                        Best regards at all
                        Claude

                        --- In knottyers@yahoogroups.com, "DonB" <donbursell@...> wrote:

                        > Nancy, regarding this:
                        >
                        > --- In knottyers@yahoogroups.com, "fancnanc" <nancy@> wrote:
                        >
                        > > I am hoping there is a program in English which will work, rather than to learn a french program - tis hard enough in English for a beginner! lol
                        > > Nancy B
                        > >

                        > Quit yer whining. With all your time spent knotting, you should be able to learn French in a day or two.
                        >
                        > NOT!
                        >
                        > Have fun...
                        >
                        > Don Bursell
                        > Mora, MN

                      • fancnanc
                        Message 11 of 24 , Jun 5, 2011
                          First off I, personally, want to welcome Claude H. to our group here. Claude is the author of the two programs I have been using grids from (through Charles H).

                          I am in awe of you, Claude, and the things he has done and made and shared. I was not aware that you spoke and wrote English OR I would have written you before! (he is French)

                          We have been pretty laid back here - not too serious - with some banter and short replies which might not translate into French as well as we understand them.

                          So to clear something up for Claude - no one was saying your programs STINK or smell - what was used as an expression was from a well known movie about "stinking badges" not being needed for the Mexican law guys.. and he used the same adjective for "stinking run lists" - NOT meant personally for you, Claude, nor your programs - I was being dealt a humorous reply to my "whining" ... I have since passed him some cheese to go with the whine (wine)...

                          I knew about your programs (RKnotBuilder and Ariane), but also wanted to learn if there were others that folks used to draw their knots - I wanted to know those other programs limitations and such. I also felt I did not know HOW your programs worked so was unable to talk much about them and stayed quiet on that subject... but did share later regarding both.

                          So, please do not get upset over the discussion on programs. I know I came across as not a pleasant person - but had a couple things going on in my life which tainted my replies - I apologize!!
                          First off, I ragged on a guy who I thought was someone else, then, an RV'ing friend passed on and another RVing friend will be shortly undergoing surgery which he has a good chance of not making it through (heart is only pumping 20% what it should) - so a couple biggies in my book BESIDES the 1,000 Xings knot I am working on and on and on.... lol

                          But in the end, WELCOME Claude!! I am really surprised to see you here!! I have soooooo enjoyed the things Charles has sent me (instructional information, grids for knots, pictures and his own extolling all your virtues... and there are many others on this list who have drooled over the finished items I have made with your grids -they wanting to know MORE! hahaha all because of your awesome programs and YOU!!

                          THANKS, BIG HUGS, as I lay down on the floor prostrate before the GREAT ONE!! (said in jest, joking, but felt very deeply!!!)

                          Thank you also for enlightening this list with information on your programs and where they can be found, as well as user manuals IN ENGLISH!

                          I seem to sit a lot last couple days, thinking of these two friends and the fun times while working on my 1,000 Xings knot - sometime soon I will have a clearer head and tackle the trying of all the knot programs.
                          Nancy B

                          <snip>
                        • fancnanc
                          Message 12 of 24 , Jun 5, 2011
                            Another bit of explanation, if I may...
                            at the end of this email are these letters - jk lol - they are a short cut way of saying "just kidding" and "laughing out loud"

                            I took these as being very light hearted comments and I hope Claude will also, once he understands how they were being used.
                            Nancy B

                            > I know it's not as easy as just following overs and unders, but once you learn the rules, we don't need no stinking run lists. jk lol

                            <snip> (means I trimmed all the other emails going back and forth)
                          • fancnanc
                            Message 13 of 24 , Jun 15, 2011
                              Thank you Claude for the information. I am working on another project but when the heat drives us inside to enjoy the air conditioner in the afternoons, I will (again) attempt to request a code and pay with Paypal for RKB, this time with English translations rather than French ones (haha). In the meantime I am reading (by bits and parts) Georg Schaake's pamphlets about knots, in particular Herringbone and Pineapple. Trying to learn what he shares regarding them. That man is something else! as you are also (grin)! Thanks again for the encouragement to download and learn how to use your program. Charles sent me the 'latest update link' for RKB from his website.
                              Nancy Barnhart

                            • threelees1@aol.com
                              Message 14 of 24 , Jun 16, 2011
                                Is there any information about this program for people considering
                                purchasing it? How about a list of Georg Schaake's pamphlets and where to get
                                them?

                                Walter Seltzer

                                --- In _knottyers@yahoogroups.com_ (mailto:knottyers@yahoogroups.com) ,
                                "Ricco Dev" <riccodev@...> wrote:

                                > Ohhhhhh no ! RKnot Builder and Ariane are in English, manual in English,
                                it's possible to learn French but not for use these software
                                > :-))
                                > Best regards at all
                                > Claude
                                >
                                > --- In _knottyers@yahoogroups.com_ (mailto:knottyers@yahoogroups.com) ,
                                "DonB" <donbursell@> wrote:

                                > > Nancy, regarding this:
                                > >
                                > > --- In _knottyers@yahoogroups.com_ (mailto:knottyers@yahoogroups.com) ,
                                "fancnanc" <nancy@> wrote:

                                > > > I am hoping there is a program in English which will work, rather
                                than to learn a french program - tis hard enough in English for a beginner!
                                lol
                                > > > Nancy B
                                > > >

                                > > Quit yer whining. With all your time spent knotting, you should be
                                able to learn French in a day or two.

                                > > NOT!
                                > >
                                > > Have fun...
                                > >
                                > > Don Bursell
                                > > Mora, MN

                              • stwood
                                Message 15 of 24 , Jun 16, 2011
                                  threelees1@... wrote:

                                  > Is there any information about this program for people considering
                                  > purchasing it? How about a list of Georg Schaake's pamphlets and where
                                  > to get
                                  > them?
                                  >
                                  > Walter Seltzer
                                  >

                                  > .

                                  Walter;
                                  This is a link to Dr John Turner's site where you can find some history
                                  of Georg Schaake's work and a source for much of his work. This link is
                                  still active, so far as I can tell.
                                  http://jcturner.fortunecity.com/The Braide.htm

                                  Des Pawson published some of the phamplets some time ago.
                                  The only source for him that I have is des@....
                                  I don't know i8f it is still good
                                  Sidney Wood
                                • fancnanc
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Jun 16, 2011
                                    Hi Walter - and list mates...

                                    In answer to your questions, here are two links to more information on the program RKnotBuilder by Claude Houchet and English translation with help from Charles Hamel - there is also a program called Ariane still in the testing stage for nested bight knots among other things.
                                    I paid in USD for the 30 Euros payment on RKB. ($43.??) (and paid more to be able to download copies of Schaake's pamplets).

                                    http://charles.hamel.free.fr/knots-and-cordages/What_is_new.html

                                    http://charles.hamel.free.fr/knots-and-cordages/Achat-Turner.html

                                    This second link, Walter, is for the Schaake/Turner pamplets on lots of topics regarding knots and braids and the like...(60 pamplets and minimal price to help cover expenses in NZ where they originated.)

                                    Charles Hamel wrote to me (in part): plus in my (web)pages I speak at length of Schaake's work and explain some of the more obscure or interesting aspect(s). ...I am sponsoring Schaake and Turner....
                                    <snip>

                                    Nancy continues: I understand that these programs were introduced over on KHWW and received a very poor reception from the folks there - so hopefully a lesson was learned - be nice to the messenger and you can be rewarded with information about awesome new tools for our playtimes!

                                    I will stay out of the fracus over there, but offer this suggestion...
                                    Be courteous to this source of information, please. Here is the old rule, we reap what we sow. If you are nice towards others and respectful of all, we will find others more kind towards us as well.

                                    Nancy B

                                    The pamplets come in 4 or 5 volumes - with about 15 pamplets per volume/file. I received several 'extras' for my generous payment.
                                    Let me know if you would like to see a (partial) 'contents' of topics covered, there are MANY. nancy @ davidshome dot com

                                    --- In knottyers@yahoogroups.com, threelees1@... wrote:
                                    > Is there any information about this program for people considering
                                    > purchasing it? How about a list of Georg Schaake's pamphlets and where to get them?
                                    > Walter Seltzer
                                  • fancnanc70
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Oct 15, 2014

                                      Just a note of 'follow-up' for anyone interested in 'tools' to make knots over...

                                      I found, if I purchased some pvc pipe at a hardware store (dif. diameters for sml/lrg knots), and used a tap & dye/die(?) to drill some holes through the sides of this pipe, and used 'set screws' as pegs from Tacoma Screw in Washington, that I could make some functional and inexpensive tools for knot classes.  I also used my label maker (a PTouch-something-or-other #) to label the holes in rows and columns, so as to id them to match written tutorial info.  (Sharpie pens don't last long enough when worked over.)  These went over very well in class by those making (decorative) knots for the 1st time.

                                      Our whole lives involve knotting of some sort and different ways (shoe laces, square knots securing things, overhand knots and slip knots, etc.) - I've just gone a bit 'deep' into the process! and joined the club!  hahaha  (but am not looking for the 12 step group, yet - still enjoying it too much!

                                      P.S.  I found Arian program for 'drawing out my knots' and printing a run list as well - awesome little tool!  It costs, but helps the programmers who work on it too!  Takes some learning because the French wrote it but it does the job I was looking for!  (choose your language (English/French, etc.) - a real help!)

                                      Nancy Barnhart

                                      (wintering in Arizona on our RV lot, enjoying the sunshine WITH minimal humidity, as this summer seemed to be ALL about as we hit NM, TX, KY, Ind., Wisc, Michigan and then back to AZ - grin)

                                    • Kathlean Wolf
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Nov 2, 2014
                                        Nancy, I love you.  SCREWS.  Why didn't I think of that???  Not pins, screws (or nails on a dowel, or what-have-me, but NOT pins.  Thanks for the advice!