Re: The Frame Is DUN!

  • Rev
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 1 8:41 AM
      Don and Nancy,
      You've both been kind with your comments over on the photo section; thank you.

      I wanted to say something about the "Moku" hitch pattern I used since both of you commented on it. It's a VERY easy hitch that uses two strands going in opposite directions. That's the first part that's fun to figure out.

      The trick is in your ability to tension consistently. And that would be the same if you were using a single line in the "French Grapevine" design.

      For this one, since I only wanted the design on top and not around the back, or bottom, I hitched each direction four times and then reversed which puts the smaller diamond design only on the front surface. Easy enough variation and, with what I just said, I'm sure you can figure it out.

      Look at what Vince has to say and you'll see how I've altered things to keep the design up where it would be seen.

      One other point; this design, like any hitch, consumes line big time. Plan a consumption factor of 15 - 20 times the length of whatever you are wrapping or you'll run short every time. And don't ask me how I learned that.

      CU
      Jerry
    • Richard Cornish
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 1 6:44 PM
        Jerry,

        Your frame is outstanding! Thanks so much for taking the time to document not
        only how to tie it, but the though process behind it as well. I love how you
        reversed the main and accent colors on the top, very nice touch and it really
        sets it off.It's a beautiful piece of art and I'm looking forward to seeing it
        with your chosen picture.

        Rick
        skyout

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 5 9:04 AM
          Okay folks, this is the end of it. I got the picture mounted and photographed; it's in the "Frame Lessons" photo album.

          The picture itself is fairly well known, and is of the Belem, which I believe, is a two masted Barque; I'll let you sailing types correct me if I'm wrong on that. Anyway, taking a picture like this through a telephoto lens will always result in some compression. In this case, it looks like the Belem's wheel house is about to go under. It isn't and it didn't. Just a great photo.

          So, I'm taking a break from knotting for awhile to do some light reading and think about what I need to do for spring planting. But, along the coast of Maine, we had SNOW yesterday. Not enough to amount to anything but it reminded me that our last frost day is actually the first of JUNE!

          Maybe there's enough time to do another frame.

          CU
          Jerry
        • Lindsey Philpott
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 7 6:42 PM
            Great job Jerry and congratulations indeed on getting her done!  She is indeed a barque (bark in the USA) and is rigged with square sails on the foremast and mainmast (square meaning hung across the ship on yards), but she has three masts and the aftermost mast is known as a mizzenmast, visible in your picture.  The mizzenmast is fore-and-aft rigged (meaning the sails follow parallel to the keel instead of across or athwartships) giving her the ability to sail efficiently with a smaller crew number than were required for a full-rigged ship (3 or more masts all of which are square-rigged) and thus compete well with the larger ships in speed although she may be more cumbersome than the schooners and could carry a greater cargo than a schooner.

            Again, well done in completing your project - timely and tiddley to boot!

            Lindsey
            Board Member IGKTPAB

            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 8 6:11 AM
              Lindsey,
              Thanks for getting back to me. I appreciate your generous comments too. I'll keep you around; you're good for my ego.

              I did a pretty comprehensive search on this ship and have several pages of information I'll attach to the back along with my construction notes. Whoever winds up with it, either in a sale or inheritance, will have the information they need to establish what it is and what I did to it. And in all that was a short comment about it being a barque, although I don't know much about how such things are determined. Twenty years in the US Navy and I've never even been on anything with sails. Now, you want to know what a DLG is, I'm your man, but sailing categories are beyond me. The US Navy actually used to have DLGs, but because no other country had them we reclassified all ours to something comparable to what the rest of the world owned; makes sense, doesn't it? Our lawmakers earning their pay again.

              Thanks again for your comments and your information. My hands have healed and I've got another frame in mind. Still too cold to do any outside work so I guess it's time to dig out the fid and get to it.

              CU
              Jerry
            • Lindsey Philpott
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 13 4:25 PM
                Looking forward to seeing your next effort - you are like fine wine, getting better with time!

                Lindsey
                Board Member IGKTPAB