Re: [KnotTyers] Re: Globe knots and cardboard tubes

  • Steve
    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 15, 2011
      For a stronger cardboard tube, check your local fabric store.
      Upholstery fabric often comes on heavy duty cardboard tubing - perhaps
      1/8" or maybe even 1/4" wall thickness, and 5 feet long or so, 2 or
      perhaps 3 inches in diameter. I picked up several at the local JoAnn's
      Fabric awhile back - they were happy to give me a couple for free. They
      hold pushpins well and I've used them as forms to tie pineapple knots.

      Steve

      On 3/6/2011 1:29 PM, pat_ducey wrote:
      > If you can't find toilet paper tubes, paper towel tubes are the same diameter, and longer length. It

      Disclaimer - This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and contain privileged or copyrighted information. You must not present this message to another party without first gaining permission from the sender. If you are not the intended recipient, you must not copy, print, distribute or use this email or the information contained in it for any purpose other than to notify us.

      If you received this email in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete this email from your system. We do not guarantee that this email is free from viruses or any other defects although due care has been taken to minimize the risk.
    • Terry Baldridge
      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 15, 2011
        I noticed that a couple of the rolls of Christmas wrapping paper I bought
        last year didn't have tubes in them. I hadn't thought about tp tubes going
        away.

        If you have access to them, the rolls of paper for a big plotter comes on
        stiff tubes. Might be too big for some work, but they would hold a screw if
        they are the right size for you.

        terry

        On Tue, Mar 15, 2011 at 11:00 AM, Steve <lawresh@...> wrote:

        > For a stronger cardboard tube, check your local fabric store.
        > Upholstery fabric often comes on heavy duty cardboard tubing - perhaps
        > 1/8" or maybe even 1/4" wall thickness, and 5 feet long or so, 2 or
        > perhaps 3 inches in diameter. I picked up several at the local JoAnn's
        > Fabric awhile back - they were happy to give me a couple for free. They
        > hold pushpins well and I've used them as forms to tie pineapple knots.
        >
        > Steve
        >

        > On 3/6/2011 1:29 PM, pat_ducey wrote:
        > > If you can't find toilet paper tubes, paper towel tubes are the same
        > diameter, and longer length. It
        >
        > Disclaimer - This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential
        > and contain privileged or copyrighted information. You must not present this
        > message to another party without first gaining permission from the sender.
        > If you are not the intended recipient, you must not copy, print, distribute
        > or use this email or the information contained in it for any purpose other
        > than to notify us.
        >
        > If you received this email in error, please notify the sender immediately
        > and delete this email from your system. We do not guarantee that this email
        > is free from viruses or any other defects although due care has been taken
        > to minimize the risk.

      • gerald diamond
        Message 3 of 16 , Mar 15, 2011
          I've done the same thing at carpet stores
          especially places that sell reminants
          The stronger ones also make good wine racks if you
          need to unwind and get the knots out.

          gerald

          ________________________________

        • LoopyLacer@aol.com
          Message 4 of 16 , Mar 16, 2011
            I use these all the time. They come in several diameters and can be cut
            easily (I use my kitchen electric knife). LOL

            Hope this helps...

            Lily

            Happily entangled in my own knots!
            Lily Qualls Morales
            Yucaipa, California, USA
            California Inland Empire Council, _http://www.bsa-ciec.org_
            (http://www.bsa-ciec.org/)
            Mail to: _loopylacer@..._ (mailto:loopylacer@...)
            Facebook: _http://www.facebook.com/LoopyLacer_
            (http://www.facebook.com/LoopyLacer)
            Photo album: _http://www.flickr.com/photos/8557207@N05/collections_
            (http://www.flickr.com/photos/8557207@N05/collections)
            Blog: _http://loopylacer.blogspot.com_ (http://loopylacer.blogspot.com/)
            Exodus 35:35

            In a message dated 3/15/2011 8:42:37 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
            threelees1@... writes:

            Try those squishy foam straws or noodles that kids use in swimming
            pools.
            They can be cut to length, thick enough to hold pins without them falling
            out, and are about the right diameter for bracelets