Re: [KnotTyers] ABOK Blackjack

  • ss
    Message 1 of 21 , Jan 1, 2011
      I am sure that wherever you live Doug there are trees and tree service people. ;-) They would know the local supplier.
      When I purchased my own for actual line throwing I just bought it online.
      Just now Googled "throw line" images and some locations popped up. Some made using Codura as well as leather.

      Good hunting and Happy New Year.

      From: ss <ss369369@...>

      To: knottyers@yahoogroups.com

      Date: Friday, December 31, 2010, 8:56 PM

      For those short on leather stitching capabilities, there is something called a "throw weight" used by aborists / treeclimbers to heave a messenger line over a branch to then attach a larger work line to and drag over. They are leather and come in a couple of weights. Another plus is that they have sewn to them a "D" ring.

      I suspect that they can take a hearty amount of abuse.

      Check them out.

      Scott

      From: Douglas Morgan <doug_morgan05@...>

      To: knottyers@yahoogroups.com

      Date: Friday, December 31, 2010, 9:29 AM

      Ken,

      Sir writes, "A leather bag containing shot is needle hitched and seized around the neck of a knot on the lanyard." Fascinating.

      I'm starting mine today. When I go out to buy the leather, I hope I remember to get some batteries for my camera, so's I can document it for all posterior.

      Doug

      From: Ken Gray <kenegray@...>

      To: knottyers@yahoogroups.com

      Date: Wednesday, December 29, 2010, 8:33 PM

      ok, i have a ball that's been hitched but how do i attach it to a lanyard

      like in the abok knots listed above?

      Ken

      On Wed, Dec 29, 2010 at 4:12 AM, Douglas Morgan <doug_morgan05@...>wrote:

      > Ha! You crafty scofflaw! I wish I'd thought of that in high school!

      > Doug

      > --- On Tue, 12/28/10, threelees1@... <threelees1%40aol.com> <

      > threelees1@... <threelees1%40aol.com>> wrote:

      > From: threelees1@... <threelees1%40aol.com> <threelees1@...<threelees1%40aol.com>

      > Subject: Re: [KnotTyers] ABOK Blackjack

      > To: knottyers@yahoogroups.com <knottyers%40yahoogroups.com>

      > Date: Tuesday, December 28, 2010, 4:35 PM

      > Ken:

      > I don't know from ABOK numbers.

      > However, I took a length of 1" three strand nylon rope and on one end I

      > made an eye splice just large enough to put my hand through and grip the

      > rest

      > of the rope, and I clipped the other end to allow me to make a 6 or 8 inch

      > end splice. Technically, this isn't an illegal weapon since I use it to

      > display my eye and end splices I plan to do business with, yet it can do

      > one

      > heck of a lot of damage coming across an attacker's cranium. I know I

      > would walk away if someone wielded that toward my head.

      > Walter

      > threelees1@... <threelees1%40aol.com>

      > In a message dated 12/28/2010 2:45:44 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,

      > kenegray@... <kenegray%40gmail.com> writes:

      > What's the ABOK number?

      > Ken

      > On Tue, Dec 28, 2010 at 12:39 PM, doug_morgan05

      > <doug_morgan05@... <doug_morgan05%40yahoo.com>>wrote:

      > > Hey, Folks.

      > > Anyone here ever make a blackjack, a la ABOK? My daughters saw one in the

      > > Robert Downey, Jr. movie _Sherlock Holmes_, and now they want one. (I

      > think

      > > it's their last ditch effort to rub me out; but I can take care of

      > myself. I

      > > have a star knot man rope I made from HGS's TMS. An awesome weapon. I

      > > recommend it.)

      > > Doug

    • Douglas Morgan
      Message 2 of 21 , Jan 1, 2011