Re: Meeting on December 3 - 5, 2010 in St. Michaels Maryland

  • Rev
    Message 1 of 21 , Nov 1, 2010
      Vince,
      As long as there's decent crab cakes nearby, you can count me and my wife in. Not sure if we'll get there Friday or Saturday, or some other choice, but we'll be there. She's pretty anxious to see some other knotters at work. Guess she's bored with the knots I have taught her but I wouldn't dare say that to her face.

      Doubt if we'll stay the entire weekend so we won't need a table. Rather, I'm interested in putting some faces to the names I see on this group and maybe learning a few knew knots. We might actually tell a few lies, uhhhh, Sea Stories too.

      Now, where are those crab cakes?

      CU
      Jerry
    • Kevin Zembower
      Message 2 of 21 , Nov 2, 2010
        I'll be coming from Baltimore, probably just arriving Friday afternoon
        and leaving Saturday evening. I have room for another person to ride, if
        anyone's interested.

        Also, I'd like to volunteer to do a presentation or demonstration on the
        rigging we do on USS CONSTELLATION. I can demonstrate the serving we
        do, or the lashing on the shrouds and deadeye tensioning.

        Let me know if this is of interest and if there's an available time
        slot.

        Looking forward to seeing folks.

        -Kevin

        On Sun, 2010-10-31 at 14:59 -0400, threelees1@... wrote:

        > Hey:
        >
        > Any update on the head count? I will be there, but my wife won't.
        >
        > I plan to drive down from Brooklyn, NY and I am trying to get a room
        > at the
        > hotel that was recommended in the announcement.
        >
        > I will not be needing a table, but I will need a chair to sit on while
        > splice.
        >
        > I am ok with anyplace people want to go for food so long as I can
        > meat
        > there. I do not eat anything from the ocean. Fish poop out there.
        > Really, I
        > am allergic to sea food. I can find any place to get a sammich and I
        > will
        > be ok.
        >
        > Walter Seltzer
        >

        > In a message dated 10/5/2010 8:15:16 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
        > frayedknotarts@... writes:
        >
        > Hi, all!
        >
        > Jim T pointed out to me that we really should get some sort of count
        > on
        > who may be attending for a day or for the weekend for this hoo-raw.
        > Seeing as
        > it's not an "Official" meeting of the IGKT, Jim and I want to see just
        > how
        > many tables we'll need for the room and if we can swing a "special
        > meal"
        > for Friday nite. He favours a place about ten miles away on Tilghman
        > Island
        > that has an "all you can eat" special with Oysters... fried, steamed,
        > Rockefeller.... oysters galore as well as a great regular menu (with
        > Alpo for
        > those who don't like seafood... phillistines...) so if you'd be so
        > kind as to
        > drop me an email as well as John Burke, I'll start compiling a list.
        >
        > www.frayedknotarts.com/email.html
        >
        > Thenkew!
        >
        > So far:
        >
        > Brian O'Neel (for a day)
        > Cap't Walt Seltzer
        > Jim Torbert
        > Me
        > Matt Beaudoin
        > Bob Dollar (R&W Rope)
        > "Rigger Dan"
        >
        > WE NEED MORE FOLKS FOR THE SQUAREDANCE!
        >
        > ("Beatings and hangings WILL continue until the morale of the crew
        > improves!"
        >
        > Cap'n Bligh)

      • roundturn
        Message 3 of 21 , Nov 19, 2010
          I'll be driving up early saturday morning and stay for the night.

          Marty
          Elizabeth City, NC
          Message 4 of 21 , Nov 21, 2010
            All,

            I'd love to attend, but work's travel schedule has made it difficult once again to join in... I'll be thinking of what I'm missing -- keep me in mind was the weekend progresses.

            Ed

            --- In knottyers@yahoogroups.com, roundturn <no_reply@...> wrote:

            > I'll be driving up early saturday morning and stay for the night.
            >
            > Marty
            > Elizabeth City, NC

          • M Beaudoin
            Message 5 of 21 , Nov 28, 2010
              stuff happened, and an order for 8,000 custom bracelets fell through, 1,000
              being due this coming weekend.. SOOO.. you guys are stuck with me and
              whatever random fiddlings I can scrounge together.

              I just got my reservations at the Best Western. I'll be arriving in town on
              Friday and staying until Sunday.

              Sorry for such short notice, I hope I can still get a corner of a table.

              Does anyone have John Burke's email? I'll be cross posted into the IGKT
              forums as well.

              Thanks for putting up with the short notice,
              matt

              Message 6 of 21 , Nov 28, 2010
                dear Mr Baudoin,i am sure you know of some machnical knotting devices,let me
                know.I am making baskets, all by hand
                Girdharilal

                On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 7:02 AM, M Beaudoin <matthew.beaudoin@...>wrote:

                > stuff happened, and an order for 8,000 custom bracelets fell through, 1,000
                > being due this coming weekend.. SOOO.. you guys are stuck with me and
                > whatever random fiddlings I can scrounge together.
                >
                > I just got my reservations at the Best Western. I'll be arriving in town on
                > Friday and staying until Sunday.
                >
                > Sorry for such short notice, I hope I can still get a corner of a table.
                >
                > Does anyone have John Burke's email? I'll be cross posted into the IGKT
                > forums as well.
                >
                > Thanks for putting up with the short notice,
                > matt

              • M Beaudoin
                Message 7 of 21 , Dec 5, 2010
                  Girdharilal,
                  Sadly, I only have 10 'mechanical knotting devices' and they are what my
                  mom gave me when I was born. In a way, I wish there was a mechanical way to
                  make them, but if there was, I'd be quickly out of a job to a big
                  corporation.
                  Instead of mechanical means, I use my compulsive tendancies to make them
                  for around 6-10 hours every day.
                  Matt

                  Message 8 of 21 , Dec 7, 2010
                    To all:

                    I would like to thank Jim Torbert and John Burke for all they did to make
                    this mini-meeting happen, and to all the attendees who participated and
                    worked to make the meeting the success it turned out to be.

                    I didn't count heads, but it seemed as though there were about 20 people
                    in attendance, give or take a few. From my perspective, having only
                    attended one large meeting and a workshop, the size of the group enabled me to
                    meet, chat with and annoy everybody with my silly questions. It was a
                    learning experience for me. For example, I had always been intimidated by turk's
                    heads, but after sitting with people such as Tim Allwine, I came to
                    understand some of the basics, and when I got home, I was able to tie a few
                    without using a mandrel. I would say that my knowledge base doubled between the
                    time I got there to the time I left.

                    I look forward to the next get together.

                    Walter Seltzer
                    Brooklyn, New York
                    (917) 612-0544
                    Threelees1@...