Hello fellow knot tyers

  • sf_knotworks
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 12, 2010
      My husband and I have lost our minds and are attempting run a small booth at reniassance and craft fairs to sell our knotted items. We're making everything ourselves. It's getting off to a slow but steady start - the learning curve is steep! Right now we're sticking to small and simple sellable items because we don't think the market is going to bear anything complex and costly at this time. Is anyone else doing the craft fair circuit? Any advice to pass on? Any experiences you'd like to share?

      cheers,

      Cathy B.
    • threelees1@aol.com
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 12, 2010
        Cathy:

        I have thought about craft fairs, but haven't done anything about it. I
        am in Brooklyn, New York. I would love to find out what you learn.

        Walter
        _threelees1@..._ (mailto:threelees1@...)

        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 12, 2010
          Walter:

          So far, my most important lesson has been: "Don't quit your day job". I love interacting with people and giving knot tying demonstrations. Our friends are very involved with the local Ren Fairs, Pirate festivals, Dickens, etc. and this gives us a great way to spend time with these good folks. We have to keep our designs really simple in order to keep the costs down. I uploaded some pictures today if you're interested in what we're doing.

          -Cathy

          --- In knottyers@yahoogroups.com, threelees1@... wrote:

          > Cathy:
          >
          > I have thought about craft fairs, but haven't done anything about it. I
          > am in Brooklyn, New York. I would love to find out what you learn.
          >
          > Walter
          > _threelees1@..._ (mailto:threelees1@...)
          >

          > In a message dated 10/12/2010 5:14:07 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
          > sf_knotworks@... writes:
          >

          > My husband and I have lost our minds and are attempting run a small booth
          > at reniassance and craft fairs to sell our knotted items. We're making e
          > verything ourselves. It's getting off to a slow but steady start - the
          > learning curve is steep! Right now we're sticking to small and simple sellable
          > items because we don't think the market is going to bear anything complex and
          > costly at this time. Is anyone else doing the craft fair circuit? Any advice
          > to pass on? Any experiences you'd like to share?
          >
          > cheers,
          >
          > Cathy B.

        • Marcella Ruso
          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 12, 2010
            Where are your pictures Walter I would also like to see... Thank you, Marcella
             Joyfully twisted in knots!! Yours, Marcella
            www.MarcellaRuso.com

            ________________________________
            So far, my most important lesson has been: "Don't quit your day job". I love
            interacting with people and giving knot tying demonstrations. Our friends are
            very involved with the local Ren Fairs, Pirate festivals, Dickens, etc. and this
            gives us a great way to spend time with these good folks. We have to keep our
            designs really simple in order to keep the costs down. I uploaded some pictures
            today if you're interested in what we're doing.

            -Cathy

            --- In knottyers@yahoogroups.com, threelees1@... wrote:

            > Cathy:
            >
            > I have thought about craft fairs, but haven't done anything about it. I
            > am in Brooklyn, New York. I would love to find out what you learn.
            >
            > Walter
            > _threelees1@..._ (mailto:threelees1@...)
            >

            > In a message dated 10/12/2010 5:14:07 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
            > sf_knotworks@... writes:
            >

            > My husband and I have lost our minds and are attempting run a small booth
            > at reniassance and craft fairs to sell our knotted items. We're making e
            > verything ourselves. It's getting off to a slow but steady start - the
            > learning curve is steep! Right now we're sticking to small and simple sellable

            > items because we don't think the market is going to bear anything complex and
            > costly at this time. Is anyone else doing the craft fair circuit? Any advice
            > to pass on? Any experiences you'd like to share?
            >
            > cheers,
            >
            > Cathy B.

          • sf_knotworks
            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 12, 2010
              They are here in the group photos called 'sf_knotworks'.

              thanks
              -Cathy

              --- In knottyers@yahoogroups.com, Marcella Ruso <marcellaruso@...> wrote:

              > Where are your pictures Walter I would also like to see... Thank you, Marcella
              >  Joyfully twisted in knots!! Yours, Marcella
              > www.MarcellaRuso.com
              >

              > ________________________________

            • Marcella Ruso
              Message 6 of 14 , Oct 12, 2010
                Thank you but I keep getting
                Sorry, the page you requested was not found.... What m I doing?

              • Heather Twist
                Message 7 of 14 , Oct 12, 2010
                  I haven't run a booth, but I have gone to several. There are always some
                  vendors that do tons of business, and many that do none. I think part of it
                  is to have something that is pretty cheap as a lead-in, and lots of variety.

                  One thing that I think would be popular: a set of jug/bottle slings, and a
                  case of water. People get thirsty at these things. But I made some bottle
                  slings for our family and friends and they are VERY popular, because they
                  can be used on any old bottle of water or pop and they are reusable, and
                  seem sort of magic. I've taught people to make them, but no one ever seems
                  to remember, so they come back for more. So I think they would make a great
                  "lead in" ... you could sell them for a buck and still make a profit.

                  This is the one I'm talking about:

                  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bottle_sling

                  <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bottle_sling>Instead of an "Asher's equalizer"
                  my husband uses a carabiner to hold the ends together, which doubles as a
                  hook to hook it to something if he needs to. They are very fast to make!

                  Also what would be popular I think is some cheap little rope "animals" that
                  kids could play with ... or dogs chew ... all nontoxic, no beads etc. People
                  love to buy things for their kids and animals.

                  On Tue, Oct 12, 2010 at 1:14 PM, sf_knotworks <sf_knotworks@...>wrote:

                  > My husband and I have lost our minds and are attempting run a small booth
                  > at reniassance and craft fairs to sell our knotted items. We're making
                  > everything ourselves. It's getting off to a slow but steady start - the
                  > learning curve is steep! Right now we're sticking to small and simple
                  > sellable items because we don't think the market is going to bear anything
                  > complex and costly at this time. Is anyone else doing the craft fair
                  > circuit? Any advice to pass on? Any experiences you'd like to share?
                  >
                  > cheers,
                  >
                  > Cathy B.

                  Heather Twist
                  http://eatingoffthefoodgrid.blogspot.com/

                  http://www.etsy.com/shop/HeatherTwist
                  www.dunkers.us

                • sf_knotworks
                  Message 8 of 14 , Oct 12, 2010
                    Marcella,

                    trying going to the 'home' link on the left of the yahoo groups page. Once there, you may be able to see the photos link. I had several similar issues this afternoon and had to keep going back to the home page.

                  • M Beaudoin
                    Message 9 of 14 , Oct 12, 2010
                      Cathy,
                      I think Vince might be the expert on going to fairs, but his are mostly
                      nautical themed and a more discerning crowd than I see.

                      I did spend 3 years doing boat shows, festivals, and a motorcycle rally.
                      My wife and I make 3x11 5x9 th, monkey fists ranging from bb sized through
                      5# bricks. We also do rope mats and the like. I learned that I can spend
                      14 hours in a 10x10 booth and sell less items on a rainy day than I do
                      online. Since January, Jill and I have sold over 20,000 of the bracelets we
                      made with another order of 4,000 due on November 30. I shipped out around
                      300 today. We are still taking wholesale customers too.

                      I got sick of the corporate b.s. and quit my job in April. There is no
                      worse boss to have but yourself. I don't give myself a day off and don't
                      give myself time for 'personal development.' I actually left my job to give
                      myself more time to learn the knots I haven't used since I was 18. Instead
                      I find myself playing whack-a-mole with the turkshead orders. Good money,
                      low creativity.

                      If you are thinking of doing this full time, I've found that 80 hours a
                      week is spent alone with your tv and racks of string with 20 hours a month
                      spent out retailing in a booth. (I went wholesale because if I leave the
                      house, its to go where I want when I want.. I do not enjoy the circus life)

                      I'm not seeing the exact venue you sell in, but if it’s the 'SCA' realize
                      it’s a closed market. (I spent 20 years in that organization and earned
                      high rank). Once everyone has their toy, there is rarely a new member to
                      sell to. If it’s a general Ren Faire, the typical visitor is not
                      particularly sophisticated. I would stick to a combination of high impact,
                      low time investment items. Also, outsource.. turn to an OCD person like me
                      to make your basic bracelets so you can make money off wholesale labor, then
                      focus on the cool stuff.

                      If I were doing a ren-faire, I'd make:
                      1. Nerf ball or rag cored monkey fists whipped to a piece of flexible
                      wood (cotton mace)

                      2. Medieval Shuttle Cock: Take a square of cotton, fill the center with
                      rag and pocket them to make a 'doll head.' Whip the head closed and build a
                      simple crochet sennit tail to use to spin it around and throw. These were
                      great fun at medieval demos. We had kids playing lawn darts with them.

                      3. Braided vanguards: leatherwork with holes punched to support
                      decorative braidwork

                      4. Macrame creatures: Dragonfly, scorpion, people, ants, dragons, etc

                      5. Anything 'Celtic' You might want to embed pieces in Acrylic to put
                      them 'under glass' and use glitter or other inclusions to create a more
                      'gothic' look....

                      6. fetish/adult accessories...don't go too far, but stupid suede whips
                      seem to sell at all of these things... might find something to cash in on.

                      7. Make flattened turkshead and carrick work in leather as appliqués to
                      your pouches or as add ons to other peoples work

                      8. Monkey Fist Juggling Balls!

                      9. basic 3x11 turksheads, macramé 'slave bracelets,' granny knot twist
                      bracelets..all that jazz...(this is where you source to people like me that
                      make stuff dirt cheap)

                      I guess that’s my evening's brain dump. I wish you the best of luck.
                      Realize that making money is a job whether you work for someone you can
                      complain about or work for the man inside your own skull...

                      I'll be glad to help you off list if any of this is helpful, feel free to
                      google me at MysticKnotwork or grab my email address from the header.

                      Matt Beaudoin

                      Message 10 of 14 , Oct 12, 2010
                        Thanks for the ideas! Keep 'em coming! One of our easiest items to produce is a monkey's fist knot tied around a tennis ball. I've sold a couple of them as dog toys. The thing is, you have to get a cheap supply of tennis balls, and of course the manilla rope.

                        cheers,

                        Cathy

                      • threelees1@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 14 , Oct 13, 2010
                          Cathy:

                          Please send me a link to your pics. Thanks.

                          Walter

                          --- In _knottyers@yahoogroups.com_ (mailto:knottyers@yahoogroups.com) ,
                          threelees1@... wrote:

                          > Cathy:
                          >
                          > I have thought about craft fairs, but haven't done anything about it. I
                          > am in Brooklyn, New York. I would love to find out what you learn.
                          >
                          > Walter
                          > _threelees1@..._ (mailto:threelees1@...)
                          >

                          > In a message dated 10/12/2010 5:14:07 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                          > sf_knotworks@... writes:
                          >

                          > My husband and I have lost our minds and are attempting run a small
                          booth
                          > at reniassance and craft fairs to sell our knotted items. We're making e
                          > verything ourselves. It's getting off to a slow but steady start - the
                          > learning curve is steep! Right now we're sticking to small and simple
                          sellable

                          > items because we don't think the market is going to bear anything
                          complex and
                          > costly at this time. Is anyone else doing the craft fair circuit? Any
                          advice
                          > to pass on? Any experiences you'd like to share?
                          >
                          > cheers,
                          >
                          > Cathy B.

                        • Richard Cornish
                          Message 12 of 14 , Oct 13, 2010
                            The photo album is over at Knotters, not Yahoo mail and/or not
                            Marlinspikeknotworks (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Marlinspikeknotworks/).

                            Cathy, your frames are amazing!!!

                            Rick
                            skyout

                            ________________________________
                            trying going to the 'home' link on the left of the yahoo groups page. Once
                            there, you may be able to see the photos link. I had several similar issues
                            this afternoon and had to keep going back to the home page.

                            cheers,

                            Cathy
                            --- In knottyers@yahoogroups.com, Marcella Ruso <marcellaruso@...> wrote:

                            > Thank you but I keep getting
                            > Sorry, the page you requested was not found.... What m I doing?
                            > Joyfully twisted in knots!! Yours, Marcella
                            > www.MarcellaRuso.com
                            >

                            > ________________________________

                          • Frayed Knot Arts
                            Message 13 of 14 , Oct 13, 2010
                              Indeed, I may be the "Grand Old Man" in this respect:

                              1: Do NOT expect the show to 'cover' the expenses: The fee may be (X) but the expenses will be (X x N). Food, entertainment, and other costs will FAR over-reach the actual revenues from the show itself. (99%)

                              2: Be sure you have a recognizable (read: Unique) business card and put it at at least three places on your table:

                              As people come past and say. "Oh! You do such lovely work!" (a sure sign of "I like it but I'm not buying any right now"), tell them to "take a card... you never know what you may want for [Christmas] [an Anniversary] [ a random gift]", and be SURE you tell them that the "show prices" will obtain if only they tell you WHICH show they saw you at...

                              My business is built on the (after-show) calls I get. Most people will walk a show, look at the goodies and only buy what is cheapest or that which grabs them immediately.

                              Let's face it. A $110 knife lanyard AIN'T an IMMEDIATE grabber, but later on, they suddenly think about something for "Cousin Jerry" who is an avid boater, and what better than a knife lanyard, or a knife pouch, or (God Forbid!) a knife, pouch and lanyard set???

                              I get twenty applications a year for a wheel, about fifty lanyards, about thirty full sets and assorted jewelry requests, including some I'd have never thought of: One woman wanted her "ankle bells" put onto a six-strand half-round sennit.

                              LOTS'A buckaroos there!

                              If you don't offer, you ain't a-gonna get. That simple.

                              VISIBLE Business cards are point #1;

                              Personality is Point #2

                              Good quality material is point #3

                              DON'T do "Crafts Shows" is point #4

                              (especially if you're offering rope jewelry: You'll be competing with the jack***es who import the 'almost finished' goods from the Phillipines or South America, then put an earring finding on it and say it was assembled "in the US" or "by the vendor". You CANNOT compete with these people.

                              Ensure that your craft faire (If you choose to participate in one) insists on a true "assembled by artisan" policy and will eject any found offering "pre-assembled" items for sale.

                              I'm not gonna lie... most shows I do have this policy AND a booth fee in excess of $400 per show. It costs money to MAKE money!

                              Cover the above points, and you'll at least cover your costs going to shows. You may even make a peso or two.

                              (Don't forget: [b]ALL[/b] expenses relating to the show are tax-deductible, including 50% of your meals! A BIG incentive to go!)
                            • threelees1@aol.com
                              Message 14 of 14 , Oct 14, 2010
                                Vince:

                                The craft shows I have in mind make certain of that. There are no
                                resellers! I think it would help if you actually do your craft while sitting at
                                the fair. There are also a number of fishing tournaments and sportsmen's
                                shows in my area that have booths with people selling everything from junk to
                                expensive crafts. I think a nice display that people can touch and feel
                                is important in terms of people ordering things on the spot as well as in
                                the future.

                                See you in St Michael.

                                Walter Seltzer
                                _Threelees1@..._ (mailto:Threelees1@...)