Re: Meeting on December 3 - 5, 2010 in St. Michaels Maryland

  • Frayed Knot Arts
    Message 1 of 21 , Oct 5, 2010
      Hi, all!

      Jim T pointed out to me that we really should get some sort of count on who may be attending for a day or for the weekend for this hoo-raw. Seeing as it's not an "Official" meeting of the IGKT, Jim and I want to see just how many tables we'll need for the room and if we can swing a "special meal" for Friday nite. He favours a place about ten miles away on Tilghman Island that has an "all you can eat" special with Oysters... fried, steamed, Rockefeller.... oysters galore as well as a great regular menu (with Alpo for those who don't like seafood... phillistines...) so if you'd be so kind as to drop me an email as well as John Burke, I'll start compiling a list.

      www.frayedknotarts.com/email.html

      Thenkew!

      So far:

      Brian O'Neel (for a day)
      Cap't Walt Seltzer
      Jim Torbert
      Me
      Matt Beaudoin
      Bob Dollar (R&W Rope)
      "Rigger Dan"

      WE NEED MORE FOLKS FOR THE SQUAREDANCE!

      ("Beatings and hangings WILL continue until the morale of the crew improves!"

      Cap'n Bligh)
    • threelees1@aol.com
      Message 2 of 21 , Oct 5, 2010
        I am planning to attend, although my wife wants me to go Christmas shopping
        given the proximity to Christmas. I told her she can purchase my present
        at the show.

        I will opt for the Alpo, as I am a carnivore who is allergic to sea food.
        My wife is ok with either chicken or sea food.

        By the way, my crew called me "Bligh" among other things not suitable for
        consumption in mixed or polite company, "numbn*ts" being the most common.

        Walter Seltzer
        Threelees1@...

        In a message dated 10/5/2010 8:15:16 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,

[...]

      • userMike
        Message 3 of 21 , Oct 6, 2010
          Since some of us locals may opt to show up for only one of the days,
          has there been any thinking about what will take place each day? E.G.
          you mentioned a possible dinner Friday night, but if I do come for
          only one day it will probably be a weekend day (fyi, probably Sat in
          my case). Any demos being planned? Anyone else thinking about going
          down but for less than the three days?
        • Frayed Knot Arts
          Message 4 of 21 , Oct 6, 2010
            Those of us who are displaying will be MORE than happy to demonstrate how to do the items we have on display... nothing a knottyer likes more than to show someone "how to do it"!

            The whole idea of these shows is to exchange knowledge of knotting... in my case, small-work fancywork, and for others, the functional and practical knots.

            Jump in... ask questions... dazzle everyone with YOUR footwork!

            After hours, come and eat and drink... after a while we will all descend to the same level of incomprehensability, and THAT'S where the FUN starts!

            Message 5 of 21 , Oct 31, 2010
              Hey:

              Any update on the head count? I will be there, but my wife won't.

              I plan to drive down from Brooklyn, NY and I am trying to get a room at the
              hotel that was recommended in the announcement.

              I will not be needing a table, but I will need a chair to sit on while I
              splice.

              I am ok with anyplace people want to go for food so long as I can meat
              there. I do not eat anything from the ocean. Fish poop out there. Really, I
              am allergic to sea food. I can find any place to get a sammich and I will
              be ok.

              Walter Seltzer

[...]

            • Rev
              Message 6 of 21 , Nov 1, 2010
                Vince,
                As long as there's decent crab cakes nearby, you can count me and my wife in. Not sure if we'll get there Friday or Saturday, or some other choice, but we'll be there. She's pretty anxious to see some other knotters at work. Guess she's bored with the knots I have taught her but I wouldn't dare say that to her face.

                Doubt if we'll stay the entire weekend so we won't need a table. Rather, I'm interested in putting some faces to the names I see on this group and maybe learning a few knew knots. We might actually tell a few lies, uhhhh, Sea Stories too.

                Now, where are those crab cakes?

                CU
                Jerry
              • Kevin Zembower
                Message 7 of 21 , Nov 2, 2010
                  I'll be coming from Baltimore, probably just arriving Friday afternoon
                  and leaving Saturday evening. I have room for another person to ride, if
                  anyone's interested.

                  Also, I'd like to volunteer to do a presentation or demonstration on the
                  rigging we do on USS CONSTELLATION. I can demonstrate the serving we
                  do, or the lashing on the shrouds and deadeye tensioning.

                  Let me know if this is of interest and if there's an available time
                  slot.

                  Looking forward to seeing folks.

                  -Kevin

                  On Sun, 2010-10-31 at 14:59 -0400, threelees1@... wrote:

                  > Hey:
                  >
                  > Any update on the head count? I will be there, but my wife won't.
                  >
                  > I plan to drive down from Brooklyn, NY and I am trying to get a room
                  > at the
                  > hotel that was recommended in the announcement.
                  >
                  > I will not be needing a table, but I will need a chair to sit on while
                  > splice.
                  >
                  > I am ok with anyplace people want to go for food so long as I can
                  > meat
                  > there. I do not eat anything from the ocean. Fish poop out there.
                  > Really, I
                  > am allergic to sea food. I can find any place to get a sammich and I
                  > will
                  > be ok.
                  >
                  > Walter Seltzer
                  >

                  > In a message dated 10/5/2010 8:15:16 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                  > frayedknotarts@... writes:
                  >
                  > Hi, all!
                  >
                  > Jim T pointed out to me that we really should get some sort of count
                  > on
                  > who may be attending for a day or for the weekend for this hoo-raw.
                  > Seeing as
                  > it's not an "Official" meeting of the IGKT, Jim and I want to see just
                  > how
                  > many tables we'll need for the room and if we can swing a "special
                  > meal"
                  > for Friday nite. He favours a place about ten miles away on Tilghman
                  > Island
                  > that has an "all you can eat" special with Oysters... fried, steamed,
                  > Rockefeller.... oysters galore as well as a great regular menu (with
                  > Alpo for
                  > those who don't like seafood... phillistines...) so if you'd be so
                  > kind as to
                  > drop me an email as well as John Burke, I'll start compiling a list.
                  >
                  > www.frayedknotarts.com/email.html
                  >
                  > Thenkew!
                  >
                  > So far:
                  >
                  > Brian O'Neel (for a day)
                  > Cap't Walt Seltzer
                  > Jim Torbert
                  > Me
                  > Matt Beaudoin
                  > Bob Dollar (R&W Rope)
                  > "Rigger Dan"
                  >
                  > WE NEED MORE FOLKS FOR THE SQUAREDANCE!
                  >
                  > ("Beatings and hangings WILL continue until the morale of the crew
                  > improves!"
                  >
                  > Cap'n Bligh)

                • roundturn
                  Message 8 of 21 , Nov 19, 2010
                    I'll be driving up early saturday morning and stay for the night.

                    Marty
                    Elizabeth City, NC
                    Message 9 of 21 , Nov 21, 2010
                      All,

                      I'd love to attend, but work's travel schedule has made it difficult once again to join in... I'll be thinking of what I'm missing -- keep me in mind was the weekend progresses.

                      Ed

                      --- In knottyers@yahoogroups.com, roundturn <no_reply@...> wrote:

                      > I'll be driving up early saturday morning and stay for the night.
                      >
                      > Marty
                      > Elizabeth City, NC

                    • M Beaudoin
                      Message 10 of 21 , Nov 28, 2010
                        stuff happened, and an order for 8,000 custom bracelets fell through, 1,000
                        being due this coming weekend.. SOOO.. you guys are stuck with me and
                        whatever random fiddlings I can scrounge together.

                        I just got my reservations at the Best Western. I'll be arriving in town on
                        Friday and staying until Sunday.

                        Sorry for such short notice, I hope I can still get a corner of a table.

                        Does anyone have John Burke's email? I'll be cross posted into the IGKT
                        forums as well.

                        Thanks for putting up with the short notice,
                        matt

                        Message 11 of 21 , Nov 28, 2010
                          dear Mr Baudoin,i am sure you know of some machnical knotting devices,let me
                          know.I am making baskets, all by hand
                          Girdharilal

                          On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 7:02 AM, M Beaudoin <matthew.beaudoin@...>wrote:

                          > stuff happened, and an order for 8,000 custom bracelets fell through, 1,000
                          > being due this coming weekend.. SOOO.. you guys are stuck with me and
                          > whatever random fiddlings I can scrounge together.
                          >
                          > I just got my reservations at the Best Western. I'll be arriving in town on
                          > Friday and staying until Sunday.
                          >
                          > Sorry for such short notice, I hope I can still get a corner of a table.
                          >
                          > Does anyone have John Burke's email? I'll be cross posted into the IGKT
                          > forums as well.
                          >
                          > Thanks for putting up with the short notice,
                          > matt

                        • M Beaudoin
                          Message 12 of 21 , Dec 5, 2010
                            Girdharilal,
                            Sadly, I only have 10 'mechanical knotting devices' and they are what my
                            mom gave me when I was born. In a way, I wish there was a mechanical way to
                            make them, but if there was, I'd be quickly out of a job to a big
                            corporation.
                            Instead of mechanical means, I use my compulsive tendancies to make them
                            for around 6-10 hours every day.
                            Matt

                            Message 13 of 21 , Dec 7, 2010
                              To all:

                              I would like to thank Jim Torbert and John Burke for all they did to make
                              this mini-meeting happen, and to all the attendees who participated and
                              worked to make the meeting the success it turned out to be.

                              I didn't count heads, but it seemed as though there were about 20 people
                              in attendance, give or take a few. From my perspective, having only
                              attended one large meeting and a workshop, the size of the group enabled me to
                              meet, chat with and annoy everybody with my silly questions. It was a
                              learning experience for me. For example, I had always been intimidated by turk's
                              heads, but after sitting with people such as Tim Allwine, I came to
                              understand some of the basics, and when I got home, I was able to tie a few
                              without using a mandrel. I would say that my knowledge base doubled between the
                              time I got there to the time I left.

                              I look forward to the next get together.

                              Walter Seltzer
                              Brooklyn, New York
                              (917) 612-0544
                              Threelees1@...