Re: [KnotTyers] New Bedford pictures, please

  • threelees1@aol.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 26, 2009
      Peter:

      Everybody is so right on this. I can splice in my sleep, and have begun
      to tell people "no" when they need new dock lines or anchor ropes or
      mooring pendants. Seems that this is the time of year people remember my phone
      number. Amazing how many boaters, good ones at that, who can't splice their
      lines. Most, in fact, can't tie a simple bowline. I have made some pink
      survival bracelets for the women in my family and they wanted them to
      support breast cancer research. I have those down pretty well. I am going to
      try Christmas tree ornaments soon, and work on some knot boards.

      The encouragement I have received from everybody at the meeting and on line
      is wonderful. I should have asked some of the people in New Bedford to
      actually show me how to make certain knots. Unfortunately, my nature is not
      to ask; I prefer to watch to learn, and that doesn't work too well.

      Fortunately, I picked up 20 pounds of rope at R&W, so I have plenty of
      stuff with which to practice.

      Regards,

      Walter

      In a message dated 10/26/2009 12:57:54 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
      peterwhennessey@... writes:

      Walter,

      I couldn't agree more with Lindsey on this one- just start where you are
      and you won't believe what you can do in 2 years time! Progress is fast if
      you don't mind learning from a few mistakes, and knotting is really good for
      hand flexibility and mental agility- 2 reasons I took it up along with the
      sheer pleasure of making something unique and beautiful. Plus your non
      knot tying friends will soon be clamouring for those simple keyrings and other
      small stuff. Like the Chinese say - a journey of thousand miles begins
      with the first step. Just do it!

      Regards, Peter

      From: _threelees1@..._ (mailto:threelees1@...)
      <_threelees1@..._ (mailto:threelees1@...) >
      To: _knottyers@yahoogrouknotty_ (mailto:knottyers@yahoogroups.com)
      Date: Friday, October 16, 2009, 4:56 AM

      Lindsey:

      Thanks for the pics. The works depicted were so fantastic, they make me
      want to give up decorative knotting before I even begin. I am too old to
      get that good at it. Insofar as me being in any pictures, you can use my
      mug
      for any purpose whatsoever, so long as you don't use it as a model a
      Halloween scare mask, in which case I would appreciate a small royalty.

      Regards,

      Walter Seltzer
      Brooklyn, New York
      _Threelees1@ aol.com_ (mailto:Threelees1@_Threelees

      In a message dated 10/15/2009 11:04:06 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
      pilgrimsailor@ yahoo.com writes:

      Hi Walter,

      Great to meet you at New Bedford! Here is a link to photographs of people
      who were in a public place, looking at things on public display - no fee
      to enter the display and no forms to sign, also no advertising money taken
      or wanted for publishing the photographs. It was also made crystal clear
      us what we could and could not photograph - here you go:
      __http://www.igktpab._ (http://www.igktpab./) _http://wwhttp:_
      (http://wwhttp:/) //wwwhttp_
      (_http://www.igktpab._ (http://www.igktpab./) org/igkt_ galleries. html)
      and look at the Events on the sidebar.

      Lindsey
      Board Member IGKTPAB

      --- On Wed, 10/14/09, _threelees1@ aol.thr_ (mailto:threelees1@--- On Wed

      From: _threelees1@ aol.thr_ (mailto:threelees1@From:
      <_threelees1@ aol.thr_ (mailto:threelees1@_threelees>
      Subject: [KnotTyers] New Bedford pictures, please
      To: _knottyers@yahoogro uknotty_ (mailto:knottyers@To: _knottyers@yah
      Date: Wednesday, October 14, 2009, 2:55 PM

      It has got to be my computer illiteracy, but I have not been able to find
      any pics of the New Bedford meeting. If you post or see any, please send
      me a link. Thanks.

      Walter Seltzer
      Threelees1@aol. com

      In a message dated 10/14/2009 2:00:03 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
      ss369369@yahoo. com writes:

      Thank you Carol for your suggestions. The truth is that I really want the
      members and the people in the yet to be shared pictures to want them
      shared
      as well.
      Not that tthe pictures are all that great, but still they give a small
      feeling to the gathering.
      It was great!

      I'll wait for more input from others.

      SS

      --- On Wed, 10/14/09, Carol Wang <_wangc@skate. wan_

      From: Carol Wang <_wangc@skate. wan_ (mailto:wangc@ _wangc@skate>
      Subject: Re: [KnotTyers] New Bedford meeting
      To: _knottyers@yahoogro uknotty_ (mailto:knottyers@ To: _knottyers@yahoogr
      Date: Wednesday, October 14, 2009, 12:49 PM

      On 13-Oct-09, at 7:57 PM, ss wrote:

      > I don't know from politically correct, but I would like to read

      > from others their opinions.

      Privacy is a big issue and I commend you for giving it a second

      thought. Accusing people of being excessively PC is not useful in

      any way.

      What I do for blogging of random pictures I've taken of things which

      include people and cars:

      1) if possible, just crop out the people or license plates

      2) selectively blur the faces of people or license plates (or other

      identifying thing)

      3) slightly easier but more heavy handed would be to apply big black

      boxes to features that you want to block out.

      --

      Carol Wang ___http://www.daoofsil_ (http://www.daoofsil/) _
      (_http://www.daoofsil_ (http://www.daoofsil/) /) _

      ___http://www.chinesek_ (http://www.chinesek/) _ (_http://www.chinesek_