New Bedford pictures, please

  • threelees1@aol.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 14, 2009
      It has got to be my computer illiteracy, but I have not been able to find
      any pics of the New Bedford meeting. If you post or see any, please send
      me a link. Thanks.

      Walter Seltzer
      Threelees1@...

      In a message dated 10/14/2009 2:00:03 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
      ss369369@... writes:

      Thank you Carol for your suggestions. The truth is that I really want the
      members and the people in the yet to be shared pictures to want them shared
      as well.
      Not that tthe pictures are all that great, but still they give a small
      feeling to the gathering.
      It was great!

      I'll wait for more input from others.

      SS

      --- On Wed, 10/14/09, Carol Wang <_wangc@..._

      From: Carol Wang <_wangc@..._ (mailto:wangc@...) >
      Subject: Re: [KnotTyers] New Bedford meeting
      To: _knottyers@yahoogrouknotty_ (mailto:knottyers@yahoogroups.com)
      Date: Wednesday, October 14, 2009, 12:49 PM

      On 13-Oct-09, at 7:57 PM, ss wrote:

      > I don't know from politically correct, but I would like to read

      > from others their opinions.

      Privacy is a big issue and I commend you for giving it a second

      thought. Accusing people of being excessively PC is not useful in

      any way.

      What I do for blogging of random pictures I've taken of things which

      include people and cars:

      1) if possible, just crop out the people or license plates

      2) selectively blur the faces of people or license plates (or other

      identifying thing)

      3) slightly easier but more heavy handed would be to apply big black

      boxes to features that you want to block out.

      --

      Carol Wang _http://www.daoofsil_ (http://www.daoofsil/) k.com/ The Dao of
      Silk

      _http://www.chinesek_ (http://www.chinesek/) notting.org The Chinese
      Knotting Home Page

      _http://www.skate._ (http://www.skate./) org/ Information for the Figure
      Skating Fan

    • ss
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 14, 2009
        Hi Walter,

        if you try this link > http://www.khww.net/forum/viewthread.php?thread_id=711&pid=6603#post_6603

        Or copy and paste it to your browser. You will find a few.

        SS

        Threelees1@aol. com

        --- On Wed, 10/14/09, Carol Wang <_wangc@skate. wan_

        From: Carol Wang <_wangc@skate. wan_ (mailto:wangc@skate. org) >

        To: _knottyers@yahoogro uknotty_ (mailto:knottyers@yahoogrou ps.com)

        Date: Wednesday, October 14, 2009, 12:49 PM

        On 13-Oct-09, at 7:57 PM, ss wrote:

        > I don't know from politically correct, but I would like to read

        > from others their opinions.

        Privacy is a big issue and I commend you for giving it a second

        thought. Accusing people of being excessively PC is not useful in

        any way.

        What I do for blogging of random pictures I've taken of things which

        include people and cars:

        1) if possible, just crop out the people or license plates

        2) selectively blur the faces of people or license plates (or other

        identifying thing)

        3) slightly easier but more heavy handed would be to apply big black

        boxes to features that you want to block out.

        --

        Carol Wang _http://www.daoofsil _ (http://www.daoofsil /) k.com/ The Dao of

        Silk

        _http://www.chinesek _ (http://www.chinesek /) notting.org The Chinese

        Knotting Home Page

        _http://www.skate _ (http://www.skate /) org/ Information for the Figure

        Skating Fan

      • Robert Black
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 15, 2009
          I have had some experience with this when I made a video of the History of the IGKT. I did several interviews of Guild past Presidents plus individual members showing their weares and techniques at annual meetings. People like Des Pawson and Jeff Budworth participated. Everyone knew they were being filmed and that a DVD was going to be made. All agreed that it would be good for knotting. Initial copies were justed handed out - free - to branches and interested members. When I went to post the material on YouTube, www.youtube.com/marlinspikeknotworks, I made courtsy contacts to those I could locate letting them know what I was intending. Everyone said fine. I think that it's appropriate to let people know you are photographing them especially if you intend to publish the photograph. When I made the DVD back in 2004, know one thought about written permission and those kinds of things. Everyone trusted to make something good that would represent the Guild well. The DVD was my effort to give something back to an organization that had given so much to me. In today's world, good intentions wouldn't hold much water if there were ever a formal legal dispute. Afew years ago, the Guild had a meeting in a local anamial park in Britian. A woman from the US wanted to film the meeting and had to pay a fee to film in the park. I took all my film outside the park. Yesterday was yesterday. Today you have to be a little more carefull. You have to know who you are dealing with and on what basis.

          If I were going to use someone's work in a published work that was going to be sold or used in marketing, I would ask them to sign a release before I took the photograph or video. I have written articles about workshops I do with the Girl Scouts here in Oklahoma. I have writted permission from each parent for photograps that are published in the articles. If three girls appear in a photograph and only two parents give permission, then the photo cannot be used. Sometimes we meet in Barnes & Noble Bookstore for our lessons. We have to get permission from the bookstore for photos taken if they will be used in an article.

          I also write how-to articles for craft magazines. Any photos that are not my work must have permission to include. For instance, I wrote an article about making a braided hat band. I wanted a photo of the finished hat band of a high dollar hat. You guessed it, I had to have permission from the hat maker. It was no problem because they got what was esentially free advertising.

          If you are in my vacation pictures and I post them to an on-line album, well, I'll use my own judgement. You won't get a call from me asking permission. If you see the online photo and don't want to be in the album, just tell me and I'll take the photo out. If you don't want your picture taken, then make it known and raise a stink if the request is not honored.

          As far as the Guild goes, it's been my experience that every member is more than willing to share in any manner possible especially if it will lead to expansion of the craft. I always ask before I shoot. I always give credit and/or document what's in the photograph before I publish or share the photo - ie. this is Mr. X demonstrating the XYZ technique at the New Bedford meeting.

          I hope this helps,

          Robert Black

          3134 NW Expressway, Suite 173 YouTube Video Gallery: www.youtube.com/marlinspikeknotworks

          Oklahoma ity, OK 73112

          (405) 946-7665

          To: knottyers@yahoogroups.com

          From: Carol Wang <_wangc@..._ (mailto:wangc@...) >
          To: _knottyers@yahoogrouknotty_ (mailto:knottyers@yahoogroups.com)
          Date: Wednesday, October 14, 2009, 12:49 PM

          On 13-Oct-09, at 7:57 PM, ss wrote:

          > I don't know from politically correct, but I would like to read

          > from others their opinions.

          Privacy is a big issue and I commend you for giving it a second

          thought. Accusing people of being excessively PC is not useful in

          any way.

          What I do for blogging of random pictures I've taken of things which

          include people and cars:

          1) if possible, just crop out the people or license plates

          2) selectively blur the faces of people or license plates (or other

          identifying thing)

          3) slightly easier but more heavy handed would be to apply big black

          boxes to features that you want to block out.

          --

          Carol Wang _http://www.daoofsil_ (http://www.daoofsil/) k.com/ The Dao of
          Silk

          _http://www.chinesek_ (http://www.chinesek/) notting.org The Chinese
          Knotting Home Page

          _http://www.skate._ (http://www.skate./) org/ Information for the Figure
          Skating Fan

        • mysticknotwork
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 15, 2009
            I just posted this link on the IGKT forums. Unfortunately, I met more people than I can put names to. Also, I tried to credit work as best I can. I ask that if you recognize someone's work, please help me give credit.

            Thanks for the meeting, I had a great time,
            Matt

            http://www.flickr.com/photos/mysticknotwork
            http://www.mysticknotwork.com

            --- In knottyers@yahoogroups.com, Robert Black <rhblack@...> wrote:

> [...]
            > Subject: Re: [KnotTyers] New Bedford meeting
            > To: _knottyers@yahoogrouknotty_ (mailto:knottyers@yahoogroups.com)
            > Date: Wednesday, October 14, 2009, 12:49 PM
            >
            > On 13-Oct-09, at 7:57 PM, ss wrote:
            >
            > > I don't know from politically correct, but I would like to read
            >
            > > from others their opinions.
            >

            > Privacy is a big issue and I commend you for giving it a second
            >
            > thought. Accusing people of being excessively PC is not useful in
            >
            > any way.
            >
            > What I do for blogging of random pictures I've taken of things which
            >
            > include people and cars:
            >
            > 1) if possible, just crop out the people or license plates
            >
            > 2) selectively blur the faces of people or license plates (or other
            >
            > identifying thing)
            >
            > 3) slightly easier but more heavy handed would be to apply big black
            >
            > boxes to features that you want to block out.

          • Lindsey Philpott
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 15, 2009
              Hi Walter,

              Great to meet you at New Bedford!  Here is a link to photographs of people who were in a public place, looking at things on public display - no fee to enter the display and no forms to sign, also no advertising money taken or wanted for publishing the photographs.  It was also made crystal clear to us what we could and could not photograph - here you go:
              http://www.igktpab.org/igkt_galleries.html and look at the Events on the sidebar.

              Lindsey
              Board Member IGKTPAB

              From: Carol Wang <_wangc@skate. wan_ (mailto:wangc@skate. org) >
              To: _knottyers@yahoogro uknotty_ (mailto:knottyers@yahoogrou ps.com)
              Date: Wednesday, October 14, 2009, 12:49 PM

              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 16, 2009
                Lindsey:

                Thanks for the pics. The works depicted were so fantastic, they make me
                want to give up decorative knotting before I even begin. I am too old to
                get that good at it. Insofar as me being in any pictures, you can use my mug
                for any purpose whatsoever, so long as you don't use it as a model a
                Halloween scare mask, in which case I would appreciate a small royalty.

                Regards,

                Walter Seltzer
                Brooklyn, New York
                _Threelees1@..._ (mailto:Threelees1@...)

                _http://www.igktpab.http://wwhttp://wwwhttp_

                --- On Wed, 10/14/09, _threelees1@..._ (mailto:threelees1@...)

                From: Carol Wang <_wangc@skate. wan_ (mailto:wangc@_wangc@skate>
                To: _knottyers@yahoogro uknotty_ (mailto:knottyers@To: _knottyers@yahoogr
                Date: Wednesday, October 14, 2009, 12:49 PM

                __http://www.chinesek_ (http://www.chinesek/) _ (_http://www.chinesek_

                __http://www.skate._ (http://www.skate./) _ (_http://www.skate._
                (http://www.skate./) /) org/ Information for the Figure
                Skating Fan

                Cap't. Walter M. Seltzer
                236 94th Street
                Brooklyn, New York 11209

                Cell: (917) 612-0544
                Home: (718) 833-3550

                E-mail: Threelees1@...

                Cap't. Walter M. Seltzer
                236 94th Street
                Brooklyn, New York 11209

                Cell: (917) 612-0544
                Home: (718) 833-3550

                E-mail: Threelees1@...

                Cap't. Walter M. Seltzer
                236 94th Street
                Brooklyn, New York 11209

                Cell: (917) 612-0544
                Home: (718) 833-3550

                E-mail: Threelees1@...

              • Bill Paylor
                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 17, 2009
                  Walter, stop right there, My goal is to get better than I am now, NOT to be as good or better than someone else. Not to be the greatest, just to be better. It is a simple goal but I like it so please keep on trying new thing at any age.

                  BIll Paylor

                  _Threelees1@ aol.com_ (mailto:Threelees1@aol. com)

                  --- On Wed, 10/14/09, _threelees1@ aol.thr_ (mailto:threelees1@aol. com)

                  From: Carol Wang <_wangc@skate. wan_ (mailto:wangc@ _wangc@skate>
                  To: _knottyers@yahoogro uknotty_ (mailto:knottyers@ To: _knottyers@yahoogr
                  Date: Wednesday, October 14, 2009, 12:49 PM

                  On 13-Oct-09, at 7:57 PM, ss wrote:

                  > I don't know from politically correct, but I would like to read

                  > from others their opinions.

                  Privacy is a big issue and I commend you for giving it a second

                  thought. Accusing people of being excessively PC is not useful in

                  any way.

                  What I do for blogging of random pictures I've taken of things which

                  include people and cars:

                  1) if possible, just crop out the people or license plates

                  2) selectively blur the faces of people or license plates (or other

                  identifying thing)

                  3) slightly easier but more heavy handed would be to apply big black

                  boxes to features that you want to block out.

                  --

                  Carol Wang __http://www.daoofsil _ (http://www.daoofsil /) _
                  (_http://www.daoofsil _ (http://www.daoofsil /) /) k.com/ The Dao of
                  Silk

                  __http://www.chinesek _ (http://www.chinesek /) _ (_http://www.chinesek _
                  (http://www.chinesek /) /) notting.org The Chinese
                  Knotting Home Page

                  __http://www.skate. _ (http://www.skate. /) _ (_http://www.skate. _
                  (http://www.skate. /) /) org/ Information for the Figure
                  Skating Fan

                  Cap't. Walter M. Seltzer
                  236 94th Street
                  Brooklyn, New York 11209

                  Cell: (917) 612-0544
                  Home: (718) 833-3550

                  E-mail: Threelees1@aol. com

                  Cap't. Walter M. Seltzer
                  236 94th Street
                  Brooklyn, New York 11209

                  Cell: (917) 612-0544
                  Home: (718) 833-3550

                  E-mail: Threelees1@aol. com

                  Cap't. Walter M. Seltzer
                  236 94th Street
                  Brooklyn, New York 11209

                  Cell: (917) 612-0544
                  Home: (718) 833-3550

                  E-mail: Threelees1@aol. com

                • Lindsey Philpott
                  Message 8 of 10 , Oct 19, 2009
                    Hi Walter,

                    You will not have any problems whatsoever!  You will be practising and producing in no time, I feel sure!  If not, then why not just sit back and enjoy?  This is not a competitive craft or art - it is all in the perception and I came to learn a while ago that I may never be as good as someone else, but it will never stop me from trying!

                    Lindsey
                    Board Member IGKTPAB

                    From: Carol Wang <_wangc@skate. wan_ (mailto:wangc@ _wangc@skate>
                    To: _knottyers@yahoogro uknotty_ (mailto:knottyers@ To: _knottyers@yahoogr
                    Date: Wednesday, October 14, 2009, 12:49 PM

                  • peterwhennessey@hotmail.com
                    Message 9 of 10 , Oct 26, 2009
                      Walter,

                      I couldn't agree more with Lindsey on this one- just start where you are and you won't believe what you can do in 2 years time! Progress is fast if you don't mind learning from a few mistakes, and knotting is really good for hand flexibility and mental agility- 2 reasons I took it up along with the sheer pleasure of making something unique and beautiful. Plus your non knot tying friends will soon be clamouring for those simple keyrings and other small stuff. Like the Chinese say - a journey of thousand miles begins with the first step. Just do it!

                      Regards, Peter

                      From: Carol Wang <_wangc@skate. wan_ (mailto:wangc@ _wangc@skate>
                      To: _knottyers@yahoogro uknotty_ (mailto:knottyers@ To: _knottyers@yahoogr
                      Date: Wednesday, October 14, 2009, 12:49 PM

                      Message 10 of 10 , Oct 26, 2009
                        Peter:

                        Everybody is so right on this. I can splice in my sleep, and have begun
                        to tell people "no" when they need new dock lines or anchor ropes or
                        mooring pendants. Seems that this is the time of year people remember my phone
                        number. Amazing how many boaters, good ones at that, who can't splice their
                        lines. Most, in fact, can't tie a simple bowline. I have made some pink
                        survival bracelets for the women in my family and they wanted them to
                        support breast cancer research. I have those down pretty well. I am going to
                        try Christmas tree ornaments soon, and work on some knot boards.

                        The encouragement I have received from everybody at the meeting and on line
                        is wonderful. I should have asked some of the people in New Bedford to
                        actually show me how to make certain knots. Unfortunately, my nature is not
                        to ask; I prefer to watch to learn, and that doesn't work too well.

                        Fortunately, I picked up 20 pounds of rope at R&W, so I have plenty of
                        stuff with which to practice.

                        Regards,

                        Walter

                        --- On Fri, 10/16/09, _threelees1@..._ (mailto:threelees1@...)