New Bedford meeting

  • ThreeLees1
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 12, 2009
      I returned home yesterday after attending the IGKT meeting in New Bedford, Massachusetts. It was my very first meeting, and I had a great time. I plan to attend future meetings.

      I arrived on Friday afternoon and joined up with the others - none of whom I met before - that evening. Rather than feeling like a stranger, I felt as though I had known the members for ages. I was instantly welcome. I met people who were previously just names to me. Martin Combs, Des Pawson, Barry Brown, PJ and others. I am brand spanking new to decorative knotting, but at no time did any of the pros look down on me or make me feel foolish for asking dumb questions. I am sure the pros were looking forward to spending time with old friends, yet they still gave me all the time I needed.

      I would like to thank Dan and, especially, Bob Dollar who as the man on the scene I am sure made most of the logistical arrangements. He was also the man who made sure that R&W Rope Warehouse opened their door on Saturday so we could shop. My Christmas shopping (for myself) is all done. Thank God I drove up, as I could never have carried everything home with me on a plane or train.

      Anybody who has not attended an IGKT meeting should try their best to get to one in the future. The nominal entrance fee pays for itself many times over by the knowledge and ideas gained and especially by the people met.

      Walter Seltzer
      Brooklyn, New York
      Threelees1@...
    • Don Burrhus
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 12, 2009
        Does anybody have photos to share?

        -Don B.

        _____

[...]

        Threelees1@aol. <mailto:Threelees1%40aol.com> com

      • ss
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 12, 2009
          Hi Don,

          Sorry you could not make it!

          Some of us did take some pictures, but I have a question.

          What is the etiquette about sharing these pictures that have members and some strangers in them?

          SS369

          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 12, 2009
            Aloha,

            Have we become so politically correct as to worry about who's in the picture? I would bet that anyone attending the meeting would have no problem with a picture having them in the background. Except maybe that guy who was there with his girlfriend, and not his wife.

            Skip Hipps
            The Knotwright

          • threelees1@aol.com
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 13, 2009
              Yes, please post pictures if you have them. My camera stayed home over
              the weekend.

              From: _knottyers@yahoogrouknotty_ (mailto:knottyers@yahoogroups.com)
[...]

              Threelees1@aol. <mailto:Threelees1%mailto:Th> com

            • ss
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 13, 2009
                I don't know from politically correct, but I would like to read from others their opinions.
                I have posted some pictures of some knotting that was there though. You can go to >   http://www.khww.net/forum/viewthread.php?thread_id=711&pid=6596#post_6596
                and view them.

                SS

                From: Don Burrhus <donb@...<mailto:donb@...>>

                To: knottyers@yahoogrou ps.com<mailto:knottyers% 40yahoogroups. com>

                Date: Monday, October 12, 2009, 8:31 PM

                From: knottyers@yahoogrou ps.com [mailto:knottyers@ yahoogrou ps.com] On Behalf

                Of ThreeLees1

                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 14, 2009
                  On 13-Oct-09, at 7:57 PM, ss wrote:

                  > I don't know from politically correct, but I would like to read
                  > from others their opinions.

                  Privacy is a big issue and I commend you for giving it a second
                  thought. Accusing people of being excessively PC is not useful in
                  any way.

                  What I do for blogging of random pictures I've taken of things which
                  include people and cars:
                  1) if possible, just crop out the people or license plates
                  2) selectively blur the faces of people or license plates (or other
                  identifying thing)
                  3) slightly easier but more heavy handed would be to apply big black
                  boxes to features that you want to block out.
                  --
                  Carol Wang http://www.daoofsilk.com/ The Dao of Silk
                  http://www.chineseknotting.org The Chinese Knotting Home Page
                  Message 8 of 9 , Oct 14, 2009
                    Thank you Carol for your suggestions. The truth is that I really want the members and the people in the yet to be shared pictures to want them shared as well.
                    Not that tthe pictures are all that great, but still they give a small feeling to the gathering.
                    It was great!

                    I'll wait for more input from others.

                    Message 9 of 9 , Oct 15, 2009
                      All,

                      Glad you enjoyed your first conference. I'm sorry I could not attend. Life's been a little crazy over the past few years.

                      It has never been a problem in the past. I don't ever remember anyone objecting. It is such a small group, and anyone trying to keep a 'secret' probably would not do it with such a warm group of people -- we are hardly standoffish with each other.

                      Ed