Re: [KnotTyers] Friends amazement!! My 3 'magic' knots.

  • Ian Bambury
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 1, 2009
      Hi Randy (you nasty spammer, you ;-)
      The Tautline Hitch is good, but I always reverse the last half-hitch because
      that way it is impossible to jam (although you might need to set it a bit
      more, is holds just as well and being able to undo it when wet with cold
      hands makes it worth the effort IMO).

      The Adjustable Hitch is also a fun knot but it doesn't do well if the angle
      is large (like around an oak tree!) - in that case, you are better off with
      the tautline hitch (whichever way you tie it) or go around your stay and tie
      some kind of Prusik back on to the main length.

      Blake's Hitch has won me a drink or two. With 7 or 8 turns (maybe more on
      really thin stuff) and then down and round and under two, once that is set
      properly you can put it on the thin end of a pool cue and pull on the thick
      end and it will still hold. Setting up the bet before you set up the knot
      might be a good idea - and insist on a steady pull.

      The Trucker's Hitch impresses people (a proper one, not one where you just
      tie a loop in)

      My last one I'll just pose as a question: How do you completely disable
      someone with 8 inches of string?

      Ian

    • Kyle Shannon
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 1, 2009
        The icicle hitch is a nice one too. Used on tapered spars and such. Would
        work good on a pool cue or a marlin spike.

        # ===================
        Kyle Shannon
        Physical Science Technician
        RMRS Fire Sciences Lab