Fire destroys vacant rope factory in Xenia

  • Kate H
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 24, 2009
      The Hooven & Allison factory burned today - again. This is the
      second fire since the factory closed in 2004.

      http://www.daytondailynews.com/news/dayton-news/fire-destroys-vacant-
      rope-factory-in-xenia-263593.html

      A gallery of photos from today's fire: http://
      projects.daytondailynews.com/cache/galleries/News/Local/082409xeniafire/

      The H&A made rope and twine in Xenia for 135 years. My ancestors
      helped start it in 1869. It was the largest, and longest-lasting, of
      six rope factories in Xenia.
      The factory is the subject of the documentary, Ropewalk: A Cordage
      Engineer's Journey Through History. Many photos from inside the plant
      are posted in the galleries at http://www.StoryOfRope.org

      "Hearts & Stars" is a vintage film that is on the DVD and the website
      - all shot inside the H&A in the 1940's.

      The property has been pretty much a disaster area since the first
      fire in 2005. I can't guess what will happen to it now.
      Kate
      http://www.StoryOfRope.org