Finishing a Monkey's Fist

  • garyewright
    Message 1 of 28 , Jun 16, 2009
      Many years ago I saw the instructions somewhere to tie a monkey's fist and bam, I was hooked. Since then I have daubled with all kinds of knots and acquired many tools, kits , & books (but not ABOK, yet). I'm a little embarrassed to admit this, but I have no idea how to tie a fist as seen on this link:

      http://devilchasnme.blogspot.com/2008/12/standard-vs-turks-head-monkey-fists_21.html

      I always have both ends of the rope sticking out of the monkey's fist. Can someone please tell me the secret to making the fist where it appears to have a loop instead of two rope ends tied together (this method would lend itself to have keys, a whistle, etc. attached and be more visually appealing).
      Thx,
      Gary
    • Lindsey Philpott
      Message 2 of 28 , Jun 16, 2009
        Gary,

        Here is the secret:

        When you have tied the Monkey's fist, go to the end of either end of the line sticking out of the MF - after it is all tightened up.  Leave this length of line sticking out of the MF that will be the length you need for the whole loop - a two-inch long loop will need four inches of string hanging out of the end.  Pull the end hanging out back into the MF and retrace it back all the way to the middle of the middle set of turns, then stop.  The four-inch length you have now pulled back will be the two-inch loop.  This works best with an odd number of turns around each of the three faces of the MF, otherwise it just looks weird.  You can also make the middle pass as a longer length when you are making the MF, tie a Matthew Walker, a True Lover's knot or any other single strand knot under the loop, and then continue feeding the line as before to the end.  With this second method you will have to adjust in both directions in all likelihood, just to
        get it all balanced.  Good luck!  Let us see a photograph when you have it finished...

        Lindsey
        Board Member IGKTPAB

        Message 3 of 28 , Jun 16, 2009
          Although this isn't a looped monkey fist, here's a Royal Navy version that
          Eddie Climo sent me a pick of that has both ends coming out together. A
          little neater than usual.
          http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/hdI7-1i7EvsDiQpV5R75mg?feat=directlink

          Since you're a fan of the MF and all.

          --
          Ken Gray
          The Macro Hook.blogspot.com <http://www.TheMacroHook.blogspot.com>

          On Tue, Jun 16, 2009 at 9:38 PM, Lindsey Philpott
          <pilgrimsailor@...>wrote:

          > Gary,
          >
          > Here is the secret:
          >
          > When you have tied the Monkey's fist, go to the end of either end of
          > the line sticking out of the MF - after it is all tightened up. Leave this
          > length of line sticking out of the MF that will be the length you need for
          > the whole loop - a two-inch long loop will need four inches of string
          > hanging out of the end. Pull the end hanging out back into the MF and
          > retrace it back all the way to the middle of the middle set of turns, then
          > stop. The four-inch length you have now pulled back will be the two-inch
          > loop. This works best with an odd number of turns around each of the three
          > faces of the MF, otherwise it just looks weird. You can also make the
          > middle pass as a longer length when you are making the MF, tie a Matthew
          > Walker, a True Lover's knot or any other single strand knot under the loop,
          > and then continue feeding the line as before to the end. With this second
          > method you will have to adjust in both directions in all likelihood, just to
          > get it all balanced. Good luck! Let us see a photograph when you have it
          > finished...
          >
          > Lindsey
          > Board Member IGKTPAB
          >
          > --- On Tue, 6/16/09, garyewright <garyewright@...<garyewright%40bellsouth.net>>
          > wrote:
          >
          > From: garyewright <garyewright@... <garyewright%40bellsouth.net>
          > >
          > Subject: [KnotTyers] Finishing a Monkey's Fist
          > To: knottyers@yahoogroups.com <knottyers%40yahoogroups.com>
          > Date: Tuesday, June 16, 2009, 5:50 PM
          >

          > Many years ago I saw the instructions somewhere to tie a monkey's fist and
          > bam, I was hooked. Since then I have daubled with all kinds of knots and
          > acquired many tools, kits , & books (but not ABOK, yet). I'm a little
          > embarrassed to admit this, but I have no idea how to tie a fist as seen on
          > this link:
          >
          > http://devilchasnme .blogspot. com/2008/ 12/standard- vs-turks-
          > head-monkey- fists_21. html
          >
          > I always have both ends of the rope sticking out of the monkey's fist. Can
          > someone please tell me the secret to making the fist where it appears to
          > have a loop instead of two rope ends tied together (this method would lend
          > itself to have keys, a whistle, etc. attached and be more visually
          > appealing).
          > Thx,
          > Gary

        • leadchipmunk
          Message 4 of 28 , Jun 17, 2009
            One thing that I do to make the loop is to tie the lanyard knot before the fist, then I will place the knot on the corner of my jig with one string on either side and proceed to tie two sides of the fist with one strand, and the other side with the other strand.

            It puts the loop in a corner and makes it look much better than just pulling out one of the loops of the fist.

            --- In knottyers@yahoogroups.com, "garyewright" <garyewright@...> wrote:

            > Many years ago I saw the instructions somewhere to tie a monkey's fist and bam, I was hooked. Since then I have daubled with all kinds of knots and acquired many tools, kits , & books (but not ABOK, yet). I'm a little embarrassed to admit this, but I have no idea how to tie a fist as seen on this link:
            >
            > http://devilchasnme.blogspot.com/2008/12/standard-vs-turks-head-monkey-fists_21.html
            >
            > I always have both ends of the rope sticking out of the monkey's fist. Can someone please tell me the secret to making the fist where it appears to have a loop instead of two rope ends tied together (this method would lend itself to have keys, a whistle, etc. attached and be more visually appealing).
            > Thx,
            > Gary

          • Gary E. Wright
            Message 5 of 28 , Jun 17, 2009
              Thanks Lindsey, I will.
              Regards,
              gary

              Message 6 of 28 , Jun 17, 2009
                Thx Ken.
                Gary

                <pilgrimsailor@...>wrote:

                > Gary,
                >
                > Here is the secret:
                >
                > When you have tied the Monkey's fist, go to the end of either end of
                > the line sticking out of the MF - after it is all tightened up. Leave this
                > length of line sticking out of the MF that will be the length you need for
                > the whole loop - a two-inch long loop will need four inches of string
                > hanging out of the end. Pull the end hanging out back into the MF and
                > retrace it back all the way to the middle of the middle set of turns, then
                > stop. The four-inch length you have now pulled back will be the two-inch
                > loop. This works best with an odd number of turns around each of the three
                > faces of the MF, otherwise it just looks weird. You can also make the
                > middle pass as a longer length when you are making the MF, tie a Matthew
                > Walker, a True Lover's knot or any other single strand knot under the loop,
                > and then continue feeding the line as before to the end. With this second
                > method you will have to adjust in both directions in all likelihood, just to
                > get it all balanced. Good luck! Let us see a photograph when you have it
                > finished...
                >
                > Lindsey
                > Board Member IGKTPAB
                >
                > --- On Tue, 6/16/09, garyewright <garyewright@...<garyewright%40bellsouth.net>>
                > wrote:
                >
                > From: garyewright <garyewright@... <garyewright%40bellsouth.net>
                > >
                > Subject: [KnotTyers] Finishing a Monkey's Fist
                > To: knottyers@yahoogroups.com <knottyers%40yahoogroups.com>
                > Date: Tuesday, June 16, 2009, 5:50 PM
                >

                > Many years ago I saw the instructions somewhere to tie a monkey's fist and
                > bam, I was hooked. Since then I have daubled with all kinds of knots and
                > acquired many tools, kits , & books (but not ABOK, yet). I'm a little
                > embarrassed to admit this, but I have no idea how to tie a fist as seen on
                > this link:
                >
                > http://devilchasnme .blogspot. com/2008/ 12/standard- vs-turks-
                > head-monkey- fists_21. html
                >
                > I always have both ends of the rope sticking out of the monkey's fist. Can
                > someone please tell me the secret to making the fist where it appears to
                > have a loop instead of two rope ends tied together (this method would lend
                > itself to have keys, a whistle, etc. attached and be more visually
                > appealing).
                > Thx,
                > Gary

              • gerald diamond
                Message 7 of 28 , Jun 21, 2009
                  I'm a scout leader and monkey's fists are quite popular in our troop
                  with the result that we teach it most years.

                  Generally (as someone else said) I pull one end through so it is hidden and make a loop
                  at the other end with a diamond knot

                  e.g. mf1 on
                  http://ca.groups.yahoo.com/group/knottyers/photos/album/757042458/pic/list

                  We use these to hand cups off our knapsack or small stuff on lines (coats say)
                  and the scouts use them for trading
                  (We have a strict "no swinging them around" policy :->  )

                  Sometimes though I make key fobs by ending the m/f with two even leads and
                  finishing them around a split ring
                  (mf2 & mf3)

                  One way is to tie a diamond knot (again), lead the cord around the ring and
                  then a sinnet around them back to the knot, tucking the ends through and
                  trimming off anything that comes out

                  The other way I use is through a bead (or such) around the ring and then
                  in a xxx (can't remember the name)  tucking the ends back out of sight
                  in the middle

                  These make really good little thank you's when we are visiting somewhere
                  or someone comes in to speak to the youth.

                  g.d.

                  Message 8 of 28 , Jun 21, 2009
                    The best way I have found (if I can explain this well enough) is to make the
                    monkey's fist leaving the two ends free but don't tighten it up too much.
                    Then tie a loose double overhand knot in one end and thread the other end
                    through it so that if you were doing it without the monkey's fist, you would
                    have a circle rather than a noose-like loop.

                    Tighten up the double-overhand knot.

                    You should now have a loose monkey's fist with a loop coming out of it with
                    that knot in it.

                    Thread the loose end without the knot (the end that goes through the
                    double-overhand) through the monkey's fist and out the other side.

                    Tighten up the monkey's fist by first drawing the double-overhand into the
                    centre of the monkey's fist. Make it almost as tight as you are going to
                    want it, but leave enough movement for the next step.

                    Pull on the sliding loose end (the end that goes through the
                    double-overhand) until the loop you are trying to leave is the right size.
                    The right size is smaller than the final size because it will take up the
                    slack of the final tightening.

                    Tie an overhand knot in the sliding free end and pull it into the monkey's
                    fist.

                    Cut off the loose ends and do the final tightening.

                    It's not easy to explain, but it is easy to do, and allows you to adjust the
                    final loop length just before the final tightening.

                    If you are confused but interested, I'll put some photos up somewhere.

                    Ian

                    Getting knotted as requested.

                  • Gary E. Wright
                    Message 9 of 28 , Jun 23, 2009
                      Interesting ideas. Let me see if I can make any of them as nice as the pics you provided.
                      Thx a bunch,
                      Gary

                      Message 10 of 28 , Jun 23, 2009
                        I'm very interested. I think I know what you are trying to do, but I just can't seem to make it work. You get some pics up and I'll owe you. :)
                        Thx,
                        Gary

                        Message 11 of 28 , Jun 23, 2009
                          So I assume the lanyard knot becomes the center of the monket fist?
                          Regards,
                          Gary

                          One thing that I do to make the loop is to tie the lanyard knot before the fist, then I will place the knot on the corner of my jig with one string on either side and proceed to tie two sides of the fist with one strand, and the other side with the other strand.

                          It puts the loop in a corner and makes it look much better than just pulling out one of the loops of the fist.

                          --- In knottyers@yahoogroups.com, "garyewright" <garyewright@...> wrote:

                          > Many years ago I saw the instructions somewhere to tie a monkey's fist and bam, I was hooked. Since then I have daubled with all kinds of knots and acquired many tools, kits , & books (but not ABOK, yet). I'm a little embarrassed to admit this, but I have no idea how to tie a fist as seen on this link:
                          >
                          > http://devilchasnme.blogspot.com/2008/12/standard-vs-turks-head-monkey-fists_21.html
                          >
                          > I always have both ends of the rope sticking out of the monkey's fist. Can someone please tell me the secret to making the fist where it appears to have a loop instead of two rope ends tied together (this method would lend itself to have keys, a whistle, etc. attached and be more visually appealing).
                          > Thx,
                          > Gary

                        • leadchipmunk
                          Message 12 of 28 , Jun 23, 2009
                            I always had it just outside the monkey fist, but I've also seen people that do use it as the core.

                            I'll try to get some pics up for you as soon as possible.

                            --- In knottyers@yahoogroups.com, "Gary E. Wright" <garyewright@...> wrote:

                            > So I assume the lanyard knot becomes the center of the monket fist?
                            > Regards,
                            > Gary

                          • leadchipmunk
                            Message 13 of 28 , Jun 24, 2009
                              I just finished uploading the pictures of the process.
                              They can be found here:

                              http://www.flickr.com/photos/22376225@N02/sets/72157620352684125/
                              <http://www.flickr.com/photos/22376225@N02/sets/72157620352684125/>

                              --- In knottyers@yahoogroups.com, "leadchipmunk" <leadchipmunk@...>
                              wrote:

                              > I always had it just outside the monkey fist, but I've also seen
                              people that do use it as the core.

                              > I'll try to get some pics up for you as soon as possible.
                              >
                              > --- In knottyers@yahoogroups.com, "Gary E. Wright" <garyewright@>
                              wrote:

                              > > So I assume the lanyard knot becomes the center of the monket fist?
                              > > Regards,
                              > > Gary

                            • igktpab
                              Message 14 of 28 , Jun 25, 2009
                                Another take on finishing a Monkey's Fist may be found at http://khww.net/articles.php?article_id=103
                              • Ken Gray
                                Message 15 of 28 , Jul 13, 2009
                                  Can you give me some details on the cable(?) used as shown in your last
                                  pick?

                                  Message 16 of 28 , Jul 13, 2009
                                    Well, it is safety wire twisted with safety wire pliers. Basically, just a piece of small stainless steel wire twisted so it can be inserted into the "sleeve" of the "gutted" paracord. If you'd like, I can try to get some pix of the process of twisting the wire with the safety wire pliers. (They are used on jet engines, among other items. Keeps nuts and bolds from vibrating loose.)--- In knottyers@yahoogroups.com, Ken Gray <kenegray@...> wrote:

                                    Message 17 of 28 , Jul 13, 2009
                                      yeah, i'd like to see some pics cuz i can't quite figure it out. do you
                                      make a loop at one end? if so, that's what i can't quite figure out.
                                      thanks.

                                      --

                                      On Mon, Jul 13, 2009 at 7:42 PM, igktpab <igktpab@...> wrote:

                                      > Well, it is safety wire twisted with safety wire pliers. Basically, just a
                                      > piece of small stainless steel wire twisted so it can be inserted into the
                                      > "sleeve" of the "gutted" paracord. If you'd like, I can try to get some pix
                                      > of the process of twisting the wire with the safety wire pliers. (They are
                                      > used on jet engines, among other items. Keeps nuts and bolds from vibrating
                                      > loose.)--- In knottyers@yahoogroups.com <knottyers%40yahoogroups.com>, Ken
                                      > Gray <kenegray@...> wrote:
                                      > >
                                      > > Can you give me some details on the cable(?) used as shown in your last
                                      > > pick?
                                      > >
                                      > > --
                                      > > Ken Gray
                                      > > The Macro Hook.blogspot.com <http://www.TheMacroHook.blogspot.com>
                                      > >

                                      > > On Thu, Jun 25, 2009 at 10:52 AM, igktpab <igktpab@...> wrote:
                                      > >

                                      > > > Another take on finishing a Monkey's Fist may be found at
                                      > > > http://khww.net/articles.php?article_id=103

                                    • Chuck Cotton
                                      Message 18 of 28 , Jul 15, 2009
                                        I too would like to see the pics.

                                        On 13-Jul-09, at 6:42 PM, igktpab wrote:

                                        > Well, it is safety wire twisted with safety wire pliers. Basically,
                                        > just a piece of small stainless steel wire twisted so it can be
                                        > inserted into the "sleeve" of the "gutted" paracord. If you'd like,
                                        > I can try to get some pix of the process of twisting the wire with
                                        > the safety wire pliers. (They are used on jet engines, among other
                                        > items. Keeps nuts and bolds from vibrating loose.)--- In knottyers@yahoogroups.com
                                        > , Ken Gray <kenegray@...> wrote:
                                        > >
                                        > > Can you give me some details on the cable(?) used as shown in your
                                        > last
                                        > > pick?
                                        > >
                                        > > --
                                        > > Ken Gray
                                        > > The Macro Hook.blogspot.com <http://www.TheMacroHook.blogspot.com>
                                        > >

                                        > > On Thu, Jun 25, 2009 at 10:52 AM, igktpab <igktpab@...> wrote:
                                        > >

                                        > > > Another take on finishing a Monkey's Fist may be found at
                                        > > > http://khww.net/articles.php?article_id=103

                                        Regards,

                                        Chuck
                                        cf_cotton@...

                                      • igktpab
                                        Message 19 of 28 , Jul 15, 2009
                                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8W_FbF9qUXA

                                          Above is a link to a short utube video I made using the safety wire pliers. I should have made it from my right side instead of the left side, but I think you can get the idea from the video.

                                          Oh - for those not knowing the use of the "tool" I made - it is used for splicing paracord. Pull the core out of the paracord, and you can do an eye splice, or splice two pieces together, etc., etc.
                                        • Ron
                                          Message 20 of 28 , Jul 16, 2009
                                            The .032 stainless wire is sweet to work with, but for this application picture hanging wire will work.

                                            Regular pliers can be used, it is just that without lots of practice the twist won't be up to aviation standards. One "trick" is to first put the pliers only an inch or so (less is better) from the nail or what ever is being used as a form and hold the wires parallel to each other (so not crossed) in the center of the pliers (so the wire and pliers are parallel). Then start with your palm facing down grasping the pliers, rotate your arm AND your hand (and pliers) to the inside of your body until your hand has gone 180 degrees. Repeat until there is twist in that inch or so. This will pull the wire tight against the nail without over tightening the rest of the wire. Then grasp the wire 6 ~ 8" away and go through the same rotation to get a good twist in the wire.

                                            Hope this is clearer then mud. But I did as much or more safety wiring by hand then with the pliers and in some cases still prefer working by hand. Though "Duck-bill" pliers (flat 1/4" wide or so and jaws that are about 1/2" deep) do work better then the usual slip pliers.

                                            Ron

                                          • LoopyLacer@aol.com
                                            Message 21 of 28 , Jul 16, 2009
                                              Good to know about the wire, Ron. Thanx.

                                              I did check with a friend of mine whose DH is an airline mechanic. He
                                              says they have those in their tools and he told me he got a pair at Harbor
                                              Freight. I think I'm gonna have to go there soon. Remember, whoever dies
                                              with the most tools wins? ; - )

                                              Happy knotting, everyone. I'm busily working on the documentation for all
                                              the projects I'm going to be teaching at the _convention_
                                              (http://loopylacer.blogspot.com/2009/04/getting-ready-for-ioli-convention.html) , just a
                                              little over a week away (YIKES AND A HALF!)...

                                              Lily

                                              Happily entangled in my own knots!
                                              Lily Qualls Morales
                                              Yucaipa, California, USA
                                              Committee Member, BSA Troop 33
                                              California Inland Empire Council, _http://www.bsa-ciec.org_
                                              (http://www.bsa-ciec.org/)
                                              Mail to: _loopylacer@..._ (mailto:loopylacer@...)
                                              Website: _http://www.loopylacer.com_ (http://www.loopylacer.com/)
                                              Photo album: _http://www.flickr.com/photos/8557207@N05/collections_
                                              (http://www.flickr.com/photos/8557207@N05/collections)
                                              Blog: _http://loopylacer.blogspot.com_ (http://loopylacer.blogspot.com/)
                                              Exodus 35:35

                                              In a message dated 7/16/2009 7:17:54 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
                                              peter.pilot@... writes:

                                              The .032 stainless wire is sweet to work with, but for this application
                                              picture hanging wire will work.

                                              Regular pliers can be used, it is just that without lots of practice the
                                              twist won't be up to aviation standards.

                                              **************Can love help you live longer? Find out now.
                                              (http://personals.aol.com/articles/2009/02/18/longer-lives-through-relationships/?ncid=emlweu
                                              slove00000001)

                                            • Fred Dant
                                              Message 22 of 28 , Jul 17, 2009
                                                Hi everybody

                                                I've been twisting stainless steel welding wire for years to use in my art work. I just hook one end to a drill, and usually have someone hold the wire apart, and pull the trigger, but slowly. really works.

                                                Threestrand

                                                May I always wear a garment pleasing to the eyes of Jesus on my way to Gods celebration.

                                                To: knottyers@yahoogroups.com

                                                Message 23 of 28 , Jul 17, 2009
                                                  How is the tool used to do the splice? I looked at the tutorial, but couldn't figure it out...

                                                  Message 24 of 28 , Jul 17, 2009
                                                    feed it up through a gutted paracord and then through the wall to expose the
                                                    loop.

                                                    Message 25 of 28 , Jul 17, 2009
                                                      LOL. Bet it looks great too.

                                                      Message 26 of 28 , Oct 13, 2009
                                                        I know I'm late with this, and I'm sorry. The pictures were very helpful and I really appreciate you work in putting them together. One last question, after you tightened the monket fist, what did you do with the two loose ends? It appears you cut them as close to the knot as you could. Right?
                                                        Regards,
                                                        Gary

                                                        wrote:

                                                        > I always had it just outside the monkey fist, but I've also seen
                                                        people that do use it as the core.

                                                        > I'll try to get some pics up for you as soon as possible.
                                                        >
                                                        > --- In knottyers@yahoogroups.com, "Gary E. Wright" <garyewright@>
                                                        wrote:

                                                        > > So I assume the lanyard knot becomes the center of the monket fist?
                                                        > > Regards,
                                                        > > Gary

                                                      • leadchipmunk
                                                        Message 27 of 28 , Oct 18, 2009
                                                          They were cut close to the ends then set with a little bit of super glue.

                                                          --- In knottyers@yahoogroups.com, "Gary E. Wright" <garyewright@...> wrote:

                                                          > I know I'm late with this, and I'm sorry. The pictures were very helpful and I really appreciate you work in putting them together. One last question, after you tightened the monket fist, what did you do with the two loose ends? It appears you cut them as close to the knot as you could. Right?
                                                          > Regards,
                                                          > Gary
                                                        • Gary E. Wright
                                                          Message 28 of 28 , Oct 19, 2009