Re: [KnotTyers] How to tie a seizing

  • Peggy Trout
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 31, 2009
      Thank you Lindsey,
      My original frustration came from the term "common seizing" that everybody said they used. I couldn't find anything on it anywhere. Then it finally hit me when I read "whipping=1, seizing=2, same knot" that what I needed to find was instructions for "common whipping". Then the light dawned and it all made sense. I appreciate all the help everyone has given me. The more info one has to work with the better.
      Peggy

      ________________________________
      From: peggytrout@ymail. com <peggytrout@ymail. com>
      Subject: [KnotTyers] How to tie a seizing
      To: knottyers@yahoogrou ps.com
      Date: Sunday, March 29, 2009, 8:12 PM

      I have been learning to tie the TH bracelets from tutorials. They all end, "Now all you have to do to finish is seize the ends". Well, I can't figure out how to seize the ends. I have looked at tons of pics in books and read messages posted but none tell exactly how to tie the seizing. Some posts call it a "common seizing". I can't find instructions for that anywhere. I chatted with one poster who said any seizing in ABOK would work but that confused me even more. Is it so simple that no one posts any "how to's"? It seems the more I read and the more I try to tie a seizing the more frustrated I get. Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
      Thanks,
      Peggy

    • Ford Walton
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 2, 2009
        Peggy,

        A seizing (wrap of small cord) can be tied around the end of a rope to prevent unravelling, or around two ropes side by side to form a loop. On a turkshead bracelet make two seizings: wrap several tight turns of thread around each end of the cord AND the cord it lies beside, then do three wraps around those turns BETWEEN the side-by-side cords and tie the ends of the thread. (Much like a lashing.) This keeps the ends of the bracelet cord from working loose. Keep the seizings on the inside where they won't show.

        Good luck,
        Ford