Re: Book recommendations?

  • brianoneel66
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 4 4:55 PM
      --- In knottyers@yahoogroups.com, "sharondweaves" <weaver_cat@...> wrote:

      > I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations as to good books for beginners. I am trying to start a workbook of my own, with the instructions for the knot along with the finished knot itself.
      >
      > Sharon

      Sharon ~ welcome to the board....

      When I was getting started (only a year ago or so) I found two books most helpful.

      Des Pawson's "Knot Craft" not only had good illustrations, but he founded the knots in the creation of a project. So to create the project, you needed to learn the knots which he provides instructions for. The projects grow in difficulty so that with practice and patience, the frustration level shouldn't climb too quickly.

      This approach works well for me as learning something with out an application never has seemed to work well for me.

      To augment Pawson's illustrations, Geoffrey Budworth's "The Complete Book of Decorative Knots" has diagrams which sometimes are a duplication of Pawson's and in other times shed light on a knot in such a way as to cement what I saw in "Knot Craft".

      Hope this helps
    • brianoneel66
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 5 2:56 AM
        --- In knottyers@yahoogroups.com, "sharondweaves" <weaver_cat@...> wrote:

        > I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations as to good books for beginners. I am trying to start a workbook of my own, with the instructions for the knot along with the finished knot itself.
        >
        > Sharon

        Sharon ~ welcome to the board...

        When I was getting started, I relied on two books:

        Des Pawson's "Knot Craft"

        Budworth's "Complete Book of Decorative Knots"

        Both good basic books with good illustrations. Pawson's has the added value of illustrating knots which are ingredients in project recipes. Projects start small/easy and grow in level of challenge.

        Budworth's book is the one I turn to first if I'm having an issue tying a knot I thought I knew. His diagrams work very well for me.

        Enjoy
      • Steve
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 5 2:34 PM
          Let me suggest "Knot Craft" by Des Pawson. It is project oriented, so
          you walk through various knots to make a particular item: key fob, bell
          rope, etc.

          ABOK, while probably the most comprehensive reference in print, is more
          akin to a dictionary of knots. You have to use your own imagination and
          creativity to put knots together to make an object ('sentence' in this
          bad metaphor).

          Steve

          sharondweaves wrote:
          > I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations as to good books for beginners.

          Disclaimer - This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and contain privileged or copyrighted information. You must not present this message to another party without first gaining permission from the sender. If you are not the intended recipient, you must not copy, print, distribute or use this email or the information contained in it for any purpose other than to notify us.

          If you received this email in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete this email from your system. We do not guarantee that this email is free from viruses or any other defects although due care has been taken to minimize the risk.