Re: [KnotTyers] Re: latin word for knot....

  • Howard Gibbins
    Message 1 of 26 , Jan 10, 2009
      f_caccin,

      Not sure of your source as you didn't cite it.

      According to University of Notre Dame on-line dictionary: http://www.archives.nd.edu/latgramm.htm

      nodus -i m. [a knot; a girdle; any tie , bond, connection, obligation;
      a knotty point, difficulty].
      nodo -are [to knot , tie in a knot].

      nodosus -a -um [full of knots , knotty].

      Neither "nodi" nor "nodology" are listed in their book

      According to "Collins Pocket Latin Dictionary:

      nodo - (verb transitive) "to knot, tie"

      nodosus (adjective) "knotty"

      nodus (masculine) figurative "knot, knob, girdle, knotty point"

      In addition the suffix "ology" is an informal Greek noun, so whether
      it could be added to a Latin word is debatable.

      Howard

    • donb@donb.com
      Message 2 of 26 , Jan 10, 2009
        So, does this make the way in which I tie knots my "nodus operandi"?

        Sorry, couldn't resist!

        -Don B.

        "Nodology" is a neologism made in France to describe the science of knots, but this word is still unofficial today
        Bernard Elne (Aldorande) IGKT France

      • thomashorton@gmail.com
        Message 3 of 26 , Jan 10, 2009
          Yes, I think it is your nodus operandi. :) Incidentally, a Google
          search on nodology reveals at least one source describing it as the
          study of bird nesting. It seems to be a natural extension of our
          definition to me. Nodology for knots and weaving. Why not?