Re: latin word for knot....

  • f_caccin
    Message 1 of 26 , Jan 10, 2009
      Nodus is the singular, nodi is plural, nodo is the verb and nodology
      would be the legitimate form
    • Howard Gibbins
      Message 2 of 26 , Jan 10, 2009
        f_caccin,

        Not sure of your source as you didn't cite it.

        According to University of Notre Dame on-line dictionary: http://www.archives.nd.edu/latgramm.htm

        nodus -i m. [a knot; a girdle; any tie , bond, connection, obligation;
        a knotty point, difficulty].
        nodo -are [to knot , tie in a knot].

        nodosus -a -um [full of knots , knotty].

        Neither "nodi" nor "nodology" are listed in their book

        According to "Collins Pocket Latin Dictionary:

        nodo - (verb transitive) "to knot, tie"

        nodosus (adjective) "knotty"

        nodus (masculine) figurative "knot, knob, girdle, knotty point"

        In addition the suffix "ology" is an informal Greek noun, so whether
        it could be added to a Latin word is debatable.

        Howard

      • donb@donb.com
        Message 3 of 26 , Jan 10, 2009
          So, does this make the way in which I tie knots my "nodus operandi"?

          Sorry, couldn't resist!

          -Don B.

          "Nodology" is a neologism made in France to describe the science of knots, but this word is still unofficial today
          Bernard Elne (Aldorande) IGKT France

        • thomashorton@gmail.com
          Message 4 of 26 , Jan 10, 2009
            Yes, I think it is your nodus operandi. :) Incidentally, a Google
            search on nodology reveals at least one source describing it as the
            study of bird nesting. It seems to be a natural extension of our
            definition to me. Nodology for knots and weaving. Why not?