Re: Book suggestion

  • Steve Mason
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 1, 2008

      http://www.amazon.com/Art-Rigging-George-Biddlecombe/dp/0486263436/ref=wl_it_dp?ie=UTF8&coliid=I2ST5HG2WWSQ9L&colid=2A78N1OKS7GCZ

      > --
      > Ken Gray
      > The Macro Hook.blogspot.com <http://www.TheMacroHook.blogspot.com>

    • Steve Mason
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 1, 2008
        It sort of depends on what you're looking for. It's purely a ship
        rigging book, lots of explanations of ships/sailing terms, (it's not
        really a knot tying book as such). If you want an illustration showing
        where to find, for example, the Main-top-sail bunt-line, or the
        Fore-top-mast studding-sail, or you want a chart to show the
        comparitive strengths of chain and hemp rigging, and weight per
        fathom, and how much you'd need for a particular type of vessel, it's
        good. A nice way to see how it was all done, and the origins of a lot
        of ropework, I guess.

        At the price, it's a nice book to have in a collection.

        It's also an old work, (Based on the extensively revised and updated
        1848 edition, written then by George Biddlecombe).
        Hope some of this helps

        Best wishes

        Steve Mason

        --- In knottyers@yahoogroups.com, "Ken Gray" <kenegray@...> wrote:

        > Has anyone seen this book? Does it have a lot of pics and explanations?
        >
        > The Art of Rigging
        > George Biddlecombe

        http://www.amazon.com/Art-Rigging-George-Biddlecombe/dp/0486263436/ref=wl_it_dp?ie=UTF8&coliid=I2ST5HG2WWSQ9L&colid=2A78N1OKS7GCZ

        > --
        > Ken Gray
        > The Macro Hook.blogspot.com <http://www.TheMacroHook.blogspot.com>

      • Heather Twist
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 1, 2008
          I have it. I really like it. It's about a lot more than "knots"
          though. It's about the whole art of holding large objects
          and otherwise solving problems with nothing but rope.
          It was reading that book that opened my eyes to the
          actual miracle of sailing ships: they were held together
          mostly with *rope*. Miles of it. I mean, those guys
          could lose a mast, go to an island, chop down a
          tree, and replace the main mast ... with nothing but a
          few hand tools.

          The author goes into the pragmatics of all that ... how
          pulleys work, how to keep a tent rope tight. I don't have
          it right with me or I could quote directly. It seemed to have
          enough pictures at least for me to understand what he is
          talking about, but it's not a "tying guide".

          On Fri, Oct 31, 2008 at 7:04 PM, Ken Gray <kenegray@...> wrote:
          > Has anyone seen this book? Does it have a lot of pics and explanations?
          >
          > The Art of Rigging
          > George Biddlecombe
          > http://www.amazon.com/Art-Rigging-George-Biddlecombe/dp/0486263436/ref=wl_it_dp?ie=UTF8&coliid=I2ST5HG2WWSQ9L&colid=2A78N1OKS7GCZ
          >

          > --
          > Ken Gray
          > The Macro Hook.blogspot.com <http://www.TheMacroHook.blogspot.com>

          Heather Twist
          http://eatingoffthefoodgrid.blogspot.com/
        • Don Burrhus
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 1, 2008
            I would like to second that opinion and add that the illustrations are
            excellent. I have loaned mine to model ship makers several times. (they went
            out and purchased their own after seeing it.)

            -Don Burrhus

            --- In knottyers@yahoogrou <mailto:knottyers%40yahoogroups.com> ps.com, "Ken

            http://www.amazon
            <http://www.amazon.com/Art-Rigging-George-Biddlecombe/dp/0486263436/ref=wl_i
            t_dp?ie=UTF8&coliid=I2ST5HG2WWSQ9L&colid=2A78N1OKS7GCZ>
            com/Art-Rigging-George-Biddlecombe/dp/0486263436/ref=wl_it_dp?ie=UTF8&coliid
            =I2ST5HG2WWSQ9L&colid=2A78N1OKS7GCZ

            > --
            > Ken Gray
            > The Macro Hook.blogspot.com <http://www.TheMacro
            <http://www.TheMacroHook.blogspot.com> Hook.blogspot.com>

          • William Rutiser
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 1, 2008
              Ken Gray wrote:
              > Has anyone seen this book? Does it have a lot of pics and explanations?
              >
              > The Art of Rigging
              > George Biddlecombe
              > http://www.amazon.com/Art-Rigging-George-Biddlecombe/dp/0486263436/ref=wl_it_dp?ie=UTF8&coliid=I2ST5HG2WWSQ9L&colid=2A78N1OKS7GCZ

              See
              http://books.google.com/books?id=9RkEAAAAQAAJ
              for the original edition.

              -- Bill
            • bill dengler
              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 1, 2008
                The book "The Art of Rigging" by George Biddlecombe is available from Dover Publications for $10.95.

                Bill Dengler

                To: knottyers@yahoogroups.com
                From: HeatherTwist@...
                Date: Sat, 1 Nov 2008 01:20:34 -0800
                Subject: Re: [KnotTyers] Book suggestion

                I have it. I really like it. It's about a lot more than "knots"

                though. It's about the whole art of holding large objects

                and otherwise solving problems with nothing but rope.

                It was reading that book that opened my eyes to the

                actual miracle of sailing ships: they were held together

                mostly with *rope*. Miles of it. I mean, those guys

                could lose a mast, go to an island, chop down a

                tree, and replace the main mast ... with nothing but a

                few hand tools.

                The author goes into the pragmatics of all that ... how

                pulleys work, how to keep a tent rope tight. I don't have

                it right with me or I could quote directly. It seemed to have

                enough pictures at least for me to understand what he is

                talking about, but it's not a "tying guide".

                On Fri, Oct 31, 2008 at 7:04 PM, Ken Gray <kenegray@...> wrote:

                > Has anyone seen this book? Does it have a lot of pics and explanations?

                > The Art of Rigging

                > George Biddlecombe

                > http://www.amazon.com/Art-Rigging-George-Biddlecombe/dp/0486263436/ref=wl_it_dp?ie=UTF8&coliid=I2ST5HG2WWSQ9L&colid=2A78N1OKS7GCZ

                > --

                > Ken Gray

                > The Macro Hook.blogspot.com <http://www.TheMacroHook.blogspot.com>

                Heather Twist

                http://eatingoffthefoodgrid.blogspot.com/

              • Ken Gray
                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 1, 2008
                  WOW! thanks all! I knew we would have some folks who had a hankering for
                  1700's ship rigging [?]

                  I was really looking to see what the pics looked like and the Google Books
                  link was AWESOME!!!
                  I love Google....just LOVE the Goog! I'm gonna get all my 19th Century
                  military sailing manuals there! [?]

                  Thanks again all.

                  --

                  On Sat, Nov 1, 2008 at 9:01 AM, William Rutiser <wruyahoo05@...>wrote:

                  > Ken Gray wrote:
                  > > Has anyone seen this book? Does it have a lot of pics and explanations?
                  > >
                  > > The Art of Rigging
                  > > George Biddlecombe
                  > >
                  > http://www.amazon.com/Art-Rigging-George-Biddlecombe/dp/0486263436/ref=wl_it_dp?ie=UTF8&coliid=I2ST5HG2WWSQ9L&colid=2A78N1OKS7GCZ
                  > >
                  > See
                  > http://books.google.com/books?id=9RkEAAAAQAAJ
                  > for the original edition.
                  >
                  > -- Bill

                • Vince Brennan
                  Message 8 of 9 , Nov 7, 2008
                    Don't forget half.com for a source.... they have this for a low price
                    of $8.40 including the shipping.