Book suggestion

  • Ken Gray
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 31, 2008
      Has anyone seen this book? Does it have a lot of pics and explanations?

      The Art of Rigging
      George Biddlecombe
      http://www.amazon.com/Art-Rigging-George-Biddlecombe/dp/0486263436/ref=wl_it_dp?ie=UTF8&coliid=I2ST5HG2WWSQ9L&colid=2A78N1OKS7GCZ

      --
      Ken Gray
      The Macro Hook.blogspot.com <http://www.TheMacroHook.blogspot.com>

    • Steve Mason
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 1, 2008

        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 1, 2008
          It sort of depends on what you're looking for. It's purely a ship
          rigging book, lots of explanations of ships/sailing terms, (it's not
          really a knot tying book as such). If you want an illustration showing
          where to find, for example, the Main-top-sail bunt-line, or the
          Fore-top-mast studding-sail, or you want a chart to show the
          comparitive strengths of chain and hemp rigging, and weight per
          fathom, and how much you'd need for a particular type of vessel, it's
          good. A nice way to see how it was all done, and the origins of a lot
          of ropework, I guess.

          At the price, it's a nice book to have in a collection.

          It's also an old work, (Based on the extensively revised and updated
          1848 edition, written then by George Biddlecombe).
          Hope some of this helps

          Best wishes

          Steve Mason

          --- In knottyers@yahoogroups.com, "Ken Gray" <kenegray@...> wrote:

          > Has anyone seen this book? Does it have a lot of pics and explanations?
          >
          > The Art of Rigging
          > George Biddlecombe

          http://www.amazon.com/Art-Rigging-George-Biddlecombe/dp/0486263436/ref=wl_it_dp?ie=UTF8&coliid=I2ST5HG2WWSQ9L&colid=2A78N1OKS7GCZ

          > --
          > Ken Gray
          > The Macro Hook.blogspot.com <http://www.TheMacroHook.blogspot.com>

        • Heather Twist
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 1, 2008
            I have it. I really like it. It's about a lot more than "knots"
            though. It's about the whole art of holding large objects
            and otherwise solving problems with nothing but rope.
            It was reading that book that opened my eyes to the
            actual miracle of sailing ships: they were held together
            mostly with *rope*. Miles of it. I mean, those guys
            could lose a mast, go to an island, chop down a
            tree, and replace the main mast ... with nothing but a
            few hand tools.

            The author goes into the pragmatics of all that ... how
            pulleys work, how to keep a tent rope tight. I don't have
            it right with me or I could quote directly. It seemed to have
            enough pictures at least for me to understand what he is
            talking about, but it's not a "tying guide".

            On Fri, Oct 31, 2008 at 7:04 PM, Ken Gray <kenegray@...> wrote:
            > Has anyone seen this book? Does it have a lot of pics and explanations?
            >
            > The Art of Rigging
            > George Biddlecombe
            > http://www.amazon.com/Art-Rigging-George-Biddlecombe/dp/0486263436/ref=wl_it_dp?ie=UTF8&coliid=I2ST5HG2WWSQ9L&colid=2A78N1OKS7GCZ
            >

            > --
            > Ken Gray
            > The Macro Hook.blogspot.com <http://www.TheMacroHook.blogspot.com>

            Heather Twist
            http://eatingoffthefoodgrid.blogspot.com/
          • Don Burrhus
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 1, 2008
              I would like to second that opinion and add that the illustrations are
              excellent. I have loaned mine to model ship makers several times. (they went
              out and purchased their own after seeing it.)

              -Don Burrhus

              --- In knottyers@yahoogrou <mailto:knottyers%40yahoogroups.com> ps.com, "Ken

              http://www.amazon
              <http://www.amazon.com/Art-Rigging-George-Biddlecombe/dp/0486263436/ref=wl_i
              t_dp?ie=UTF8&coliid=I2ST5HG2WWSQ9L&colid=2A78N1OKS7GCZ>
              com/Art-Rigging-George-Biddlecombe/dp/0486263436/ref=wl_it_dp?ie=UTF8&coliid
              =I2ST5HG2WWSQ9L&colid=2A78N1OKS7GCZ

              > --
              > Ken Gray
              > The Macro Hook.blogspot.com <http://www.TheMacro
              <http://www.TheMacroHook.blogspot.com> Hook.blogspot.com>

            • William Rutiser
              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 1, 2008
                Ken Gray wrote:
                > Has anyone seen this book? Does it have a lot of pics and explanations?
                >
                > The Art of Rigging
                > George Biddlecombe
                > http://www.amazon.com/Art-Rigging-George-Biddlecombe/dp/0486263436/ref=wl_it_dp?ie=UTF8&coliid=I2ST5HG2WWSQ9L&colid=2A78N1OKS7GCZ

                See
                http://books.google.com/books?id=9RkEAAAAQAAJ
                for the original edition.

                -- Bill
              • bill dengler
                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 1, 2008
                  The book "The Art of Rigging" by George Biddlecombe is available from Dover Publications for $10.95.

                  Bill Dengler

                  To: knottyers@yahoogroups.com
                  From: HeatherTwist@...
                  Date: Sat, 1 Nov 2008 01:20:34 -0800
                  Subject: Re: [KnotTyers] Book suggestion

                  Message 8 of 9 , Nov 1, 2008
                    WOW! thanks all! I knew we would have some folks who had a hankering for
                    1700's ship rigging [?]

                    I was really looking to see what the pics looked like and the Google Books
                    link was AWESOME!!!
                    I love Google....just LOVE the Goog! I'm gonna get all my 19th Century
                    military sailing manuals there! [?]

                    Thanks again all.

                    --

                    On Sat, Nov 1, 2008 at 9:01 AM, William Rutiser <wruyahoo05@...>wrote:

                    > Ken Gray wrote:
                    > > Has anyone seen this book? Does it have a lot of pics and explanations?
                    > >
                    > > The Art of Rigging
                    > > George Biddlecombe
                    > >
                    > http://www.amazon.com/Art-Rigging-George-Biddlecombe/dp/0486263436/ref=wl_it_dp?ie=UTF8&coliid=I2ST5HG2WWSQ9L&colid=2A78N1OKS7GCZ
                    > >
                    > See
                    > http://books.google.com/books?id=9RkEAAAAQAAJ
                    > for the original edition.
                    >
                    > -- Bill

                  • Vince Brennan
                    Message 9 of 9 , Nov 7, 2008
                      Don't forget half.com for a source.... they have this for a low price
                      of $8.40 including the shipping.