Re: Turks Head

  • martin540907
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 13, 2008
      Thanks to all for your suggestions, I will have a go and see what i
      can produce. Some of the pics were really impressive. I think my
      doostop will be a bit simpler, at least to begin with.

      One other question: I don't know how many members are in the UK but I
      am looking for rope suppiers, preferably in the North. Any
      suggestions?

      Thanks

      Martin

      -- In knottyers@yahoogroups.com, "Beth Hilborn" <poodle@...> wrote:

      > I'm real late chiming in on this but, if you go here:
      > http://www.flickr.com/photos/cbrew6/2056687127/in/set-
      72157600638151703/
      > or - in tiny url form: http://tinyurl.com/5fr2gx
      > there are a couple of stones that Bud Brewer of www.khww.net made
      into door
      > stops.
      >
      > ***
      > Beth Hilborn
      > http://www.kangaroolead.com
      > http://www.bethhilborn.ca
      >

      > > On Sat, Sep 6, 2008 at 3:14 PM, martin540907 <m.shaw153@...>
      > > wrote:
      > >> Hi all, I am a bit new to knot tying but I want to try and make
      some
      > >> Turk's Head door stops. I have seen these for sale made out of
      about
      > >> 20mm hemp rope. They seem to have something heavy inside and i
      am not
      > >> sure what is best to use. If anyone has any tips i would be
      grateful.

      > >> Thanks
      > >>

      > >> Martin

      > > --
      > > Heather Twist
      > > http://eatingoffthefoodgrid.blogspot.com/

      > > http://www.eset.com

    • druesne
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 21, 2008
        Hello Beth,
        I have a look on these beautiful door stops.
        I would like to realize a "a 6 pass heel knot". Where do you find it ?
        Another question, how many miles of cord do you use to do it ? :)
        Patrick ( from France)

        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 21, 2008
          hello Patrick...
          ....here are some sites that may help to make a doorstop
          with a pineapple knot??:

          http://www.lautard.com/knots.htm
          http://www.knotical-arts.com/granthall.html
          http://pineapple.myfunforum.org/

          ...there are several turk's head calculators to help you
          figure how long the rope has to be....etc...
          (Pineapple Knot Forum >Turk's Head Knots)...

          Dan-Alaska

          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 22, 2008
            I just wanted to share something I stumbled upon. The below link is a blog
            posting at Craft Magazine's blog about finger loop braiding. It will take
            you to their site, which links to an Instructable site and youtube sites.
            This is are method of braiding I had not heard of before. It appears to be
            fast and the results are very nice.

            http://blog.craftzine.com/archive/2008/09/how_to_multi_strand_finger_loo.html?CMP=OTC-5JF307375954

            For those who prefer it, a tinyurl follows:
            http://tinyurl.com/4c3weg