Monkey's fist jig

  • threelees1@aol.com
    Message 1 of 20 , Aug 20, 2008
      One time, while browsing on line, I came across a plastic jig or tool with
      which to make monkey's fists.

      Unfortunately, I did not save the site.

      Has anybody seen such a jig or tool with which to make monkey fists? I want
      to purchase one.

      Thank you.

      Walter M. Seltzer
      236 94th Street
      Brooklyn, New York 11209

      Cell: (917) 612-0544
      Home: (718) 833-3550

      E-mail: Threelees1@...

      In a message dated 8/5/2008 1:16:18 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
      nexialist02@... writes:

      deal here.

    • Fred Dant
      Message 2 of 20 , Aug 20, 2008
        You should try using four nails hammered into a block of wood, with the heads cut off and rounded. Make several different sizes. Keep the block as small as you are comfortable handling it, cause then you are not limited to one plane. Makes it easy to feed lines thru when you can just spin it around in your hand.
        I don't use one, but tie all my 3x5 MF in hand, even the ones I make for ear rings. They are about 3/8th inch, with a fake pearl bead in them.
        I also use a pair of tweezers with a 45% bend in the end. With 2 of them I can tie quicker than your agrandmother can knit.
        fred

        E-mail: Threelees1@...<mailto:Threelees1%40aol.com>

        In a message dated 8/5/2008 1:16:18 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
        nexialist02@...<mailto:nexialist02%40yahoo.com> writes:

        deal here.
        (http://information.travel.aol.com/deals?ncid=aoltrv00050000000047<http://information.travel.aol.com/deals?ncid=aoltrv00050000000047>)

      • knot tyer
        Message 3 of 20 , Aug 20, 2008
          hello Walter...
          ....i make the jigs with a little piece of hardwood and 1/8" brass (bronze??)
          brazing rod (from any welding shop)....(...if you are using 1/2" wooden
          balls you drill the 4 holes for the rod 1/2" apart...1" balls = 1" apart...etc)
          ....here is a photo of a couple i use to make monkey's fists for magician's
          cups & balls:

          http://knotical-arts.com/toolrack01.jpg

          ....Dan-Alaska
          ...((see: Monkey's Fists & Globe Knots)):

          http://pineapple.myfunforum.org/

          threelees1@... wrote:
          One time, while browsing on line, I came across a plastic jig or tool with
          which to make monkey's fists.

          Unfortunately, I did not save the site.

          Has anybody seen such a jig or tool with which to make monkey fists? I want
          to purchase one.

          Thank you.

          Walter M. Seltzer
          236 94th Street
          Brooklyn, New York 11209

          Cell: (917) 612-0544
          Home: (718) 833-3550

          E-mail: Threelees1@...

          In a message dated 8/5/2008 1:16:18 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
          nexialist02@... writes:

          deal here.

        • threelees1@aol.com
          Message 4 of 20 , Aug 21, 2008
            Dan

            thanks. the one i recall seeing was a blue plastic contraption which seems
            would work better in my arthritic fingers.

            Walter

            In a message dated 8/21/2008 1:42:34 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
            knot_tyer@... writes:

            hello Walter...
            ....i make the jigs with a little piece of hardwood and 1/8" brass (bronze??)
            brazing rod (from any welding shop)....(..brazing rod (from any welding sho

            _http://knotical-http://knhttp://knothtt_

            _http://pineapple.http://pinehttp_ (http://pineapple.myfunforum.org/)

            _threelees1@..._ (mailto:threelees1@...) wrote:
            One time, while browsing on line, I came across a plastic jig or tool with
            which to make monkey's fists.

            Unfortunately, I did not save the site.

            Has anybody seen such a jig or tool with which to make monkey fists? I want
            to purchase one.

            Thank you.

            Walter M. Seltzer
            236 94th Street
            Brooklyn, New York 11209

            Cell: (917) 612-0544
            Home: (718) 833-3550

            E-mail: _Threelees1@..._ (mailto:Threelees1@...)

            In a message dated 8/5/2008 1:16:18 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
            _nexialist02@nexialist_ (mailto:nexialist02@...) writes:

            ************************<WBR>**It's only a deal if it's where you want to
            go.
            deal here.
            (_http://information.http://infohttp://infhttp://informatihttp://in_
            (http://information.travel.aol.com/deals?ncid=aoltrv00050000000047) )

            deal here.

          • Beth Hilborn
            Message 5 of 20 , Aug 21, 2008
              Not having access to a shop, power tools (hubby won't let me play with
              them!) I made my own from a coat hanger. A series of bends, and it does the
              trick. http://www.flickr.com/photos/16238118@N00/2783428293/ is a photo of
              it.

              Beth

              > thanks. the one i recall seeing was a blue plastic contraption which
              > seems
              > would work better in my arthritic fingers.
              >
              > Walter
              >

              > In a message dated 8/21/2008 1:42:34 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,

            • Vince Brennan
              Message 6 of 20 , Aug 21, 2008
                Very nice!

                I made up some for varying line sizes by snapping and gluing a bunch
                of SQUARE toothpicks, leaving one pick out for eachcorner, then using
                4 8-penny finish nails for the posts, lashing the whole thing together
                and then varnishing the whole.

                If making this style, be sure you put the pointy ends facing OUT, not
                IN...makes life a lot easier in the long run!

                http://www.frayedknotarts.com/images/tools/monkeyfistjigsL.jpg

                I'm making another set and this time I'll make a minor "pyramid" shape
                on the inside when putting the picks together... this will tend to
                force the line outboard and sped things up a bit.

                Finished small monkeysfists :
                http://www.frayedknotarts.com/images/Jewelry/earrings/MF/all-lg.jpg

                Vince
              • T J Bartruff
                Message 7 of 20 , Aug 21, 2008
                  I've been tying Monkeys Fists for 30 years, and I bent a coat hanger almost
                  exactly the same way! It works GREAT! It's simple, cheap, and easy to use
                  and make. If you loose it, make another, and you can make them any size you
                  need.

                  K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple, Stupid

                  TJ Bartruff

                  Bos,n and Knot Tyer of Blackbeard's Crew

                  www.BlackbeardsCrew.org

                  _____

                  Message 8 of 20 , Aug 21, 2008
                    Hi there,

                    Here is a link to a picture of the jig I use to tie my monkey's fist
                    on.
                    http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/viewPhoto?
                    uname=avdsalm1&aid=5144340688612567617&iid=5144345477501105202

                    Hope this helps

                    kind regards
                    André

                  • threelees1@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 20 , Aug 26, 2008
                      thank you

                      trick. _http://www.flickr.http://www.http://wwhttp://www.flic_
                      (http://www.flickr.com/photos/16238118@N00/2783428293/) is a photo of
                      it.

                      Beth

                      > thanks. the one i recall seeing was a blue plastic contraption which
                      > seems
                      > would work better in my arthritic fingers.
                      >
                      > Walter
                      >

                      > In a message dated 8/21/2008 1:42:34 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                      > _knot_tyer@knotical-knot_tye_ (mailto:knot_tyer@...) writes:

                      deal here.

                    • threelees1@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 20 , Aug 26, 2008
                        Andre:

                        the link you sent doesn't come up.

                        Walter

                        In a message dated 8/21/2008 6:11:08 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                        avds_1@... writes:

                        Hi there,

                        Here is a link to a picture of the jig I use to tie my monkey's fist
                        on.
                        _http://picasaweb.http://picahttp://picasa_
                        (http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/viewPhoto?)
                        uname=avdsalm1&<WBR>aid=5144340<WBR>ai&iid=iid=<WBR>5144345iid

                        Hope this helps

                        kind regards
                        André

                        --- In _knottyers@yahoogrouknotty_ (mailto:knottyers@yahoogroups.com) ,
                        threelees1@., thr

                        > One time, while browsing on line, I came across a plastic jig or
                        tool with
                        > which to make monkey's fists.
                        >
                        > Unfortunately, I did not save the site.
                        >
                        > Has anybody seen such a jig or tool with which to make monkey
                        fists? I want
                        > to purchase one.
                        >
                        > Thank you.
                        >

                        > Walter M. Seltzer
                        > 236 94th Street
                        > Brooklyn, New York 11209
                        >
                        > Cell: (917) 612-0544
                        > Home: (718) 833-3550
                        >
                        > E-mail: Threelees1@. E
                        >

                        > In a message dated 8/5/2008 1:16:18 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                        > nexialist02@ nexial

                        > ************ ************<WBR>**It's only a deal if it's where you wan
                        your travel
                        > deal here.
                        > (_http://information.http://infohttp://infhttp://informatihttp://in_
                        (http://information.travel.aol.com/deals?ncid=aoltrv00050000000047) )

                        deal here.

                      • William Rutiser
                        Message 11 of 20 , Aug 26, 2008
                          Walter,

                          This is the link to Andre's Monkey Fist tool:

                          http://picasaweb.google.com/avdsalm1/KeyRings/photo#5144345477501105202

                          -- Bill

                          threelees1@... wrote:
                          > Andre:
                          >
                          > the link you sent doesn't come up.
                          >
                          > Walter

                        • Beth Hilborn
                          Message 12 of 20 , Aug 26, 2008
                            the original link didn't work as it 'broke', due to its length. When you
                            are directing people to a site with a long url, such as this one, go to
                            http://www.tinyurl.com and make it smaller first.
                            The picasaweb link became http://tinyurl.com/59klov - which will not break
                            due to either length or different characters.

                            ***
                            Beth Hilborn
                            http://www.kangaroolead.com
                            http://www.bethhilborn.ca

                            > This is the link to Andre's Monkey Fist tool:
                            >
                            > http://picasaweb.google.com/avdsalm1/KeyRings/photo#5144345477501105202
                            >
                            > -- Bill
                            >
                            > threelees1@... wrote:
                            >> Andre:
                            >>
                            >> the link you sent doesn't come up.
                            >>
                            >> Walter

                          • Chuck Cotton
                            Message 13 of 20 , Aug 26, 2008
                              Hi Andre:
                              I get an error from Google - Internal Server Error - 500

                              Regards,

                              Chuck Cotton
                              cf_cotton@...

                              Message 14 of 20 , Aug 26, 2008
                                thank you

                                _http://picasaweb.http://picahttp://pihttp://pihttp://picasawebhttp://pi_
                                (http://picasaweb.google.com/avdsalm1/KeyRings/photo#5144345477501105202)

                                -- Bill

                                _threelees1@..._ (mailto:threelees1@...) wrote:
                                > Andre:
                                >
                                > the link you sent doesn't come up.
                                >
                                > Walter

                                deal here.

                              • asemery
                                Message 15 of 20 , Aug 29, 2008
                                  Because of all the nice links I made my first monkey's fist jig from a
                                  wire coat hanger. It will take getting used to. I have been tying the
                                  MF over my fingers for over 45 years. Less line is used with the jig
                                  than over my big fingers and the knot is easier to tighten up. Once I
                                  get familiar with using the jig I am sure to appreciate it. Tony
                                • Mark Smith
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Sep 1, 2008
                                    It's because the link is too long, and has been wrapped on to 2 lines.

                                    Try this shortened version of the same link:
                                    http://tinyurl.com/5v7pm4

                                    --Mark

                                    Message 17 of 20 , Sep 3, 2008
                                      I am liking the bent wire jig better each time I use it. I was able to
                                      tie a MF with each face woven OU, UO. In other words each of the six
                                      sides has 4 parts showing. I would never have been able to do that in
                                      hand. Tony
                                    • knot lover
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Sep 13, 2008
                                        Hi Martin
                                        i tried your website to check for TOM hall's books on turkshead but it wasn't somehow working,can you please contact one on my email address hak_libra@...
                                        thankyou
                                        Harryyyyy khan

                                      • André
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Sep 13, 2008
                                          Harry,

                                          This URL is working for me, perhaps you should give it a go ??

                                          http://www.angelfire.com/ak/skateworld/index.html

                                          cheers
                                          Andre

                                          --- In knottyers@yahoogroups.com, knot lover <hak_libra@...> wrote:

                                          > Hi Martin
                                          > i tried your website to check for TOM hall's books on turkshead but
                                          it wasn't somehow working,can you please contact one on my email
                                          address hak_libra@...
                                          > thankyou
                                          > Harryyyyy khan

                                        • knot lover
                                          Message 20 of 20 , Sep 13, 2008
                                            Hi Andre,Thanx for the UrL ,Yes it worked right for me this time.i was using an old url which wasn't working.i am finally done with exams and now prepared to attend toknotting once more.sincerelyHarryyyy khan