Re: Short fids and other questions

  • Terry Paul Brown
    Message 1 of 27 , Dec 5, 2007
      I use aluminum knitting needles, and some wooden ones also.

      In particular, I cut the aluminum knitting needle to length and then
      threaded the inside of the open end making it possible to attach a cord
      of similar diameter and pull through the work piece. Without threading
      one can also insert the cordage and wedge it in place with a toothpick
      or wooden skewer.

      Works for me.

      tbrown
    • Trevor Tutt
      Message 2 of 27 , Dec 5, 2007
        On Wed, 5 Dec 2007 03:26:16 -0800 (PST), you wrote:

        >Alternatively try this website. http://www.apsltd.com/Tree/d3000/e893.asp
        >I am lusting after the set of Swedish fids they have.
        >
        > <safr@...> wrote: Rodger, that's pretty clever. I wonder where I can find stainless steel tubing, I'll have to keep my eyes open.

        try these sites out:

        http://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant.cfm?id=902&step=2&top_cat=1

        http://www.smallparts.com/search/search.cfm

        http://www.mcmaster.com/ search for stainless steel tubing

        --

        "What is twisted cannot be straightened..."

        Hand made, Hard Laid cotton cordage.
        For updating information, visit me at:
        www.oldbelfast.net
      • meghanspal
        Message 3 of 27 , Dec 5, 2007
          I use aluminum knitting needles, which are actually hollow, and some
          wooden ones also.

          In particular, I cut the aluminum knitting needle to length and then
          threaded the inside of the open end making it possible to attach a
          cord of similar diameter and pull through the work piece. Without
          threading one can also insert the cordage and wedge it in place with a
          toothpick or wooden skewer.

          I hadn't thought of shaving the pointed end, but then that's the great
          thing about sharing in these groups.

          Works for me.

          tbrown
        • Dann Johnson
          Message 4 of 27 , Dec 5, 2007
            The chrome tube pipes that bolt from the rear wheel to help hold up a "banana seat" makes great fids.

            Cut it into fid length sections, at an oblique angle. Polish the sharp edges on a grinder and then a brass brush, or sand paper. It becomes sort of a Swedish Fid.

            I've collected a number of old single speed 20 inch bikes from garbage days, or garage sales at a $1 or 2 each.
            There are always one bike or more with a banana seat.

            Gears / chains etc from Old bikes can be made into rope machines. Old garage door openers with the wireless remote can power a bicycle chain rope machine.

            Dann

          • Trevor Tutt
            Message 5 of 27 , Dec 5, 2007
              On Wed, 5 Dec 2007 12:57:27 -0800 (PST), you wrote:

              >The chrome tube pipes that bolt from the rear wheel to help hold up a "banana seat" makes great fids.

              surely, you're not going to cut up the kids bikes for a fid, are you?
              ;)

              and so close to christmas too!

              >Cut it into fid length sections, at an oblique angle. Polish the sharp edges on a grinder and then a brass brush, or sand paper. It becomes sort of a Swedish Fid.
              >
              >I've collected a number of old single speed 20 inch bikes from garbage days, or garage sales at a $1 or 2 each.
              > There are always one bike or more with a banana seat.
              >
              >Gears / chains etc from Old bikes can be made into rope machines. Old garage door openers with the wireless remote can power a bicycle chain rope machine.

              all I can say in defense of new pipe, is that its going to be mostly
              clean on the inside. depending on where you get it, it could be
              extremely clean inside.

              i'd like to make a rope machine that I can sit down and pedal to
              twist. good exercize for a rapidly aging old goat.
              its more likely I'd make one of the kids get up there and pedal.

              --

              "What is twisted cannot be straightened..."

              Hand made, Hard Laid cotton cordage.
              For updating information, visit me at:
              www.oldbelfast.net
            • Rodger Atkin
              Message 6 of 27 , Dec 5, 2007
                The snare is two pieces of metal set at an angle so the cord jams into them, similar to the cleats used on small boats to jam rope.

                <safr@...> wrote: Rodger,

                Drool is right. Cool stuff and these are the lowest prices I've seen. I do wonder what they mean about an internal snare with the straight fids. I'm thinking the smaller sizes would be great for fancywork, but what is the snare? Thanks for the link.

                Cole 'grommet'

                Message 7 of 27 , Dec 5, 2007
                  Trevor,

                  Great links! I need more money to spend on stuff ;-)

                  I picked up some stainless steel tubing at a local hardware store today, 5/16,1/4,3/16. I'm going to angle cut the ends and polish. One advantage of fids of this type as opposed to self-threading needles is, I don't have to dedicate a needle to a line. Just push the small fid through, make the tuck and move on to the next line/tuck. At least this is what I am hoping :-)

                  I enjoy making my own self-threading needles, though the tapping is tricky for me with the small stuff.

                  Now what I would really like, and boy am I looking, are some wire loops with handles. Still hard for me to call them wire loops. Where I grew up (learned rigging) they called them 'cheaters'. I've seen some lovely examples in knot books and I always wonder when I see them, where did they get those. I'd make my own if I could figure how to secure the wire loop to the handle. I'd like any suggestions.

                  BTW besides making my own tools, I do find time to actually tie some knot too ;-)

                  Cole 'grommet'

                  On Wed, 5 Dec 2007 03:26:16 -0800 (PST), you wrote:

                  >Alternatively try this website. http://www.apsltd.com/Tree/d3000/e893.asp
                  >I am lusting after the set of Swedish fids they have.
                  >
                  > <safr@...> wrote: Rodger, that's pretty clever. I wonder where I can find stainless steel tubing, I'll have to keep my eyes open.

                  try these sites out:

                  http://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant.cfm?id=902&step=2&top_cat=1

                  http://www.smallparts.com/search/search.cfm

                  http://www.mcmaster.com/ search for stainless steel tubing

                  --

                  "What is twisted cannot be straightened..."

                  Hand made, Hard Laid cotton cordage.
                  For updating information, visit me at:
                  www.oldbelfast.net

                • Eddie Climo
                  Message 8 of 27 , Dec 6, 2007
                    On 6 Dec 2007, at 04:30, "" <safr@...> wrote:
                    > I picked up some stainless steel tubing at a local hardware store
                    > today, 5/16,1/4,3/16. I'm going to angle cut the ends and polish.
                    > One advantage of fids of this type as opposed to self-threading
                    > needles is, I don't have to dedicate a needle to a line. Just push
                    > the small fid through, make the tuck and move on to the next line/
                    > tuck. At least this is what I am hoping :-)

                    If you want to go even smaller than that, you can get tubing in a
                    range of sizes from model-makers shops (at least, you can here in
                    England). It's seemingly used for model steam engines, ships etc.,
                    and the shops have all sorts of tiny tools that are ideal for the
                    knotter working in small stuff!

                    I like to use the brass tubing myself, but it's also sometimes
                    available in stainless steel as well; the aluminium should, of
                    course, be avoided! These mini-fids can either be finished off, as
                    someone described, with the likes of a turk's head, or (for the
                    really small diameters) a spare tool handle (here they're sold under
                    the Python brand name).

                    > I enjoy making my own self-threading needles, though the tapping is
                    > tricky for me with the small stuff.

                    With the really small ones, you can use self-tapping screws, which
                    come in a range of diameters.

                    > Now what I would really like, and boy am I looking, are some wire
                    > loops with handles. Still hard for me to call them wire loops.
                    > Where I grew up (learned rigging) they called them 'cheaters'. I've
                    > seen some lovely examples in knot books and I always wonder when I
                    > see them, where did they get those. I'd make my own if I could
                    > figure how to secure the wire loop to the handle. I'd like any
                    > suggestions.

                    Using one of the empty handles I mentioned, start by dry-fitting your
                    wire loop into the hole. You may have to drill out the hole a little
                    to make room for it. If the hole's too big, you'll need to pack
                    something else in with the wire -- another short length of wire, or a
                    cocktail stick might do. This would be glued in place at the same
                    time as the wire loop.

                    Once you have a snug fit, remove the wire (and any packing) and use
                    one of those 2-part epoxy resins (brands over here include Araldite
                    and Evo-Stik Superstrong). Do take note of the safety warnings on the
                    packaging! Cyanoacrylate 'superglue' is not a good choice, as that is
                    intended for gluing 2 close-fitting surfaces together, and what you
                    need here is to fill up the gaps with glue instead.

                    Put some glue in the hole using something thin (like a cocktail
                    stick); the glue gets more runny if you heat it (with a hair drier,
                    perhaps), and will flow down the hole more readily (it'll also set a
                    little more quickly, so work fast!). Smear some more of the glue down
                    the shanks of the wire (and any packing) and slowly push it all home,
                    wiping off any surplus glue. This can be messy, and the glue is NOT a
                    good idea on skin, so best to wear gloves.

                    Some of these glues claim to be 'Superfast!', and boast curing times
                    of a few minutes, but I think it's best to leave it to cure overnight
                    just to be on the safe side.

                    Hope this helps,

                    Eddie Climo

                    ps. I've posted a couple of photos into the Files section to show the
                    completed mini-fids.
                  • Trevor Tutt
                    Message 9 of 27 , Dec 6, 2007
                      On Wed, 5 Dec 2007 20:30:10 -0800, you wrote:

                      >Now what I would really like, and boy am I looking, are some wire loops with handles.
                      >Still hard for me to call them wire loops. Where I grew up (learned rigging) they called them 'cheaters'.
                      > I've seen some lovely examples in knot books and I always wonder when I see them,
                      > where did they get those. I'd make my own if I could figure how to secure the wire loop to the handle.
                      > I'd like any suggestions.

                      can you post a picture or a link to an example?
                      what are these used for?

                      --

                      "What is twisted cannot be straightened..."

                      Hand made, Hard Laid cotton cordage.
                      For updating information, visit me at:
                      www.oldbelfast.net
                    • dmjcsurf
                      Message 10 of 27 , Dec 6, 2007
                        Vince Brennan's site has good instruction on how to make a puller.

                        Check out http://www.frayedknotarts.com/knifetool.html

                        The second section has the line pullers.

                        Here is the link to the pics

                        http://www.frayedknotarts.com/images/pullers-lg.gif

                        Dave

                        --- In knottyers@yahoogroups.com, Trevor Tutt <ttutt@...> wrote:

                        > On Wed, 5 Dec 2007 20:30:10 -0800, you wrote:
                        >
                        > >Now what I would really like, and boy am I looking, are some wire
                        loops with handles.
                        > >Still hard for me to call them wire loops. Where I grew up
                        (learned rigging) they called them 'cheaters'.
                        > > I've seen some lovely examples in knot books and I always wonder
                        when I see them,
                        > > where did they get those. I'd make my own if I could figure how
                        to secure the wire loop to the handle.
                        > > I'd like any suggestions.
                        >
                        > can you post a picture or a link to an example?
                        > what are these used for?
                        >

                        > --
                        >
                        > "What is twisted cannot be straightened..."
                        >
                        > Hand made, Hard Laid cotton cordage.
                        > For updating information, visit me at:
                        > www.oldbelfast.net

                      • Trevor Tutt
                        Message 11 of 27 , Dec 6, 2007
                          On Thu, 06 Dec 2007 16:56:28 -0000, you wrote:

                          >Vince Brennan's site has good instruction on how to make a puller.
                          >
                          >Check out http://www.frayedknotarts.com/knifetool.html
                          >
                          >The second section has the line pullers.
                          >
                          >Here is the link to the pics
                          >
                          >http://www.frayedknotarts.com/images/pullers-lg.gif
                          >
                          >Dave

                          Ah! I had envisioned two handles.

                          --

                          "What is twisted cannot be straightened..."

                          Hand made, Hard Laid cotton cordage.
                          For updating information, visit me at:
                          www.oldbelfast.net
                        • Vince Brennan
                          Message 12 of 27 , Dec 7, 2007
                            Line pullers: try this:

                            .24AWG wire (or similar), cut a piece 8" long, then bend at center to
                            get (2) 4" legs.

                            Start the covering (2 or 3 lines appx 18" long depending on size of
                            cord used) and form a footrope in the centre of them, giving you (4 or
                            6) legs and fender-hitch for three courses around both wires. Then bend
                            the wires outwards (90degrees), do one more course, bend the wires in
                            and crossing each other (180 degrees), do another course, bend back and
                            across each other (180 degrees), do another course, then bend the wires
                            back again (180 degrees), but this time where they cross bend then an
                            additional 90 degrees so they continue along the axis of the handle, do
                            as many more courses around the two wires as you wish to get the
                            approximate length desired, cut off the excess wire and do two more
                            courses* then end off with whatever knot you want (another footrope
                            works well here, or a star or....) clip everything tight and short and
                            varnish.

                            (*You can do as many more courses as you wish at the end... the idea is
                            to be sure that you don't have the wire ends where they can poke out and
                            attack you.)

                            To keep the loop open, put a small crimp in one leg of the exposed loop
                            and you''ll come up with the scimitar look I get. (see the pictures on
                            the site <http://www.frayedknotarts.com/knifetool.html> )

                            They last about 30-40 hours of pulling and then usually fail at the bend
                            at the tip of the puller: for that reason, I usually make up at least
                            four or five at a time and save them as replacements. Better the wire,
                            longer they last. I use .24awg guitar string from Musicians Friend.

                            You can adorn them with footropes as you go, or apply other covering
                            knots, or just leave the fender cover plain.

                          • Beth Hilborn
                            Message 13 of 27 , Dec 7, 2007
                              I'm going to combine a "hi, I'm here & know diddley squat" post with a plea.
                              Some of us are visual learners (meaning me) and translating words into
                              actions are kinda tough on occasion. Is there any chance for a couple of
                              drawings or 'do it this way' pics?

                              I'm new to knotting, having started braiding my own showdog leads and
                              wanting to fancy them up. That led me to various and sundry sites, and
                              forums and ultimately to this email list (amongst others).
                              I do almost all of my work with Kangaroo lace (and no, I do NOT cut my own -
                              city girls know that lace comes on spools, which grow on trees in Australia)
                              and am just starting to mess around with cord.

                              I'm looking forward to furthering my knowledge of thing 'knotical'!

                              Beth
                              http://www.kangaroolead.com
                              Message 14 of 27 , Dec 7, 2007
                                Not to worry... many of us (and I include ME in 'da groop') are "visual"
                                learners. Show me how to do something once (possibly twice if it's REEL
                                tricky) and I've got it. Let me drive somewhere and I can almost always
                                get there again. Drive me somewhere and there's at least a 60% chance
                                I'll not be able to do it.

                                I'll work up a photo tutorial and post it to my TUTORIALS
                                <http://www.frayedknotarts.com/tutor1.html> page... it'll be after
                                Chrissy, though.

                                Anyone who thinks they'd like to work up a tutorial on their favourite
                                knot/sennit/whatever is more than welcome to do so and send it to me...
                                I'll be delighted to post it and give all credit to the author(s).
                                Email me for details.

                                Especially looking for different flat sennits at present. Several
                                requests for them.

                                Vince

                              • threelees1@aol.com
                                Message 15 of 27 , Dec 8, 2007
                                  iF YOU ARE GOING TO DO A WHOLE LOT OF ROPE WORK, YOU MIGHT WANT TO SEE BRYON
                                  TOSS' SPLICING WANDS. OTHERWISE, LOOK ON EBAY

                                  In a message dated 12/2/2007 9:49:14 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
                                  carteradamscott@... writes:

                                  I found mine at a local disposal/camping store.

                                  On Dec 3, 2007 1:32 PM, Adam Carter <_carteradamscott@carterada_
                                  (mailto:carteradamscott@...) > wrote:
                                  > Hey,
                                  >
                                  > I don't use a metal fyd, but I do have a metal marlinespike in tandom
                                  > with a folding sailors knife. The marlinespike is about 5cm long and
                                  > probably about 1 to 1.5 cm in diameter. I find it remarkably useful,
                                  > for both pretty and practical work. It's not quite as useful as a fyd,
                                  > which are generally more tapered, but for smaller work that normally
                                  > isn't an issue.

                                  _http://www.worldknihttp://www.worldhttp://www.worldhttp://www.wohttp://www.wohttp://www.wohttp://w_ (http://www.worldknives.com/product
                                  s/joseph-rodgers-british-army-marlin-spike-knife-sabask-376.html)