Re: [KnotTyers] Re: New to Group - Some Background and Some Questions Short Explanation

  • hugo ackermann
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 30, 2007
      Vince,
      Thought this might have looked a little suspicious about buying the "dip net" then turning right around and taking it back, because I have routinly done this with quite a few "Walmart" products. Some times they will take the item off the display if it was a default issue.
      In the case of the "dip net" I told the man at the sports counter what I was going to do. He said great, possibly in part because they had just had some bad casting nets that I mentioned to them they were no good because of a bad connection at the top where the main casting line attached to the ring and the gathering lines. They were unaware until I showed them that the knots were not secure and would loosen over time and use and could very easily lose the net when casting, then have nothing in your hand except the main retreaving line, nothing else.
      When I returned the "dip net" I deliberately showed him the net and asked him to find the knots I had loosened and retightened. He couldn't find them so I showed them to him, he said I still can't see that they had been messed with.
      Regards,
      Hugo

      hugo ackermann <dggoll1@...> wrote:
      Vince,
      Wheew, thought I lost your note!
      Just to give you a flavor of my knots information. About 37 years ago, didn't have the money to buy the ABOK, so I asked the company that I worked for if they minded if I copied most of the book on their machine, they said ok so I made a copy [98%] of one book and 90% of another amaller book, took me about 2 months to do it because of the count mechanism on the machne and the number of pages allowed per day. After that I made a cover and bound the pages into a pretty tough set of books, even amazed me.

      This beginning of the books on knots has served as my base. Since the growth of collection has slowed considrably, but each time I get some rope or cordage I save the knot information into the books. In one case I bought a dip new dip net and proceeded to slowly loosen each knot that I thought I hadn't seen before, made a sketch, retightened the knot, returned to the store. As it turned out in the whole net there were only two knots that seemed unfamiliar. Later in a very deliberat review of ABOK and the other knot books I had, it turned out that the two knots actually were in ABOK, not the other book. So, I think what I'm saying here is that the knots in many cases are in the books, just a mater of paying attention, especially to the orientation and detail of the knot at hand.

      Not sure of how many sheets of these flyers are in the base books. I know I'm short many of the more used knot drawings / scketches of the thiner line [mostly nylon] used for fishing. The "Spyder" string, which is especially strong, slippery and thinner, I have none of those knots, because I don't have any of that string and have heard of other problems that develope on a fishing spool. In some cases I have thesse knots in fishing related books or flyers only.

      I believe that putting all of these knots into one volume or set of volumes would be a good idea. The thing that matters a lot would be keeping them sorted much like ABOK and a cross referencing either like ABOK or similar fashion.

      A new or fresh approach to making such a volume would have to include the new synthetic materials related knots. While the vast majority of knots will work on synthetic materials some simply will not perform as needed useing synthetic string or rope.

      One group of knots that seems to be missing in most places is the ones for larger diameter rope nets, which is usually also larger nets. Example the knots used for ship rope ladders like the ones used in WWII. There is a lady in Washington state looking for these about two years ago.

      A project with this subject has pieces all over the place. While I wouldn't consider it out of the question,, at this point in time I afraid my time is some what limited, and would likely prohibit taking it on. One thing for sure knot making material is over the internet, including mini movies on making a knot.

      Regards,
      Hugo

      Vince Brennan <artisan@...> wrote:
      --- In knottyers@yahoogroups.com, hugo ackermann <dggoll1@...> wrote:

      > One thing that will stand out after a while is that one of the
      most valued books of information is "ABOK", ASHLEY'S BOOK of KNOTS,
      with lots of detailed sketches and references.

      While there are knots today that have become useful because of
      materials that weren't available when Clifford wrote ABOK it is a
      basis that I've used for adding notes and supplemental file separate
      from the book itself.

      > Hugo

      Hugo: Any thoughts on publishing a monograph or pamphlet on the
      subject? Sounds like a worthwhile project and one you already have in
      process.

      I'd be interested.

      Vince

    • Vince Brennan
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 5, 2007
        --- In knottyers@yahoogroups.com, hugo ackermann <dggoll1@...> wrote:

        > Vince,
        > Thought this might have looked a little suspicious about buying
        the "dip net" then turning right around and taking it back, because
        I have routinly done this with quite a few "Walmart" products.

        NOTHING you can do to WALMART is illegal, in my opinion, as they are
        the biggest perpetrators of unfair business practices in the world. I
        won't get on that hobby-horse here, but if you want to demonstrate the
        better way of doing the knots and the manager is interested, that's
        great, but please note that that's where it's gonna stop. Walmart
        couldn't care less about whether the product is shoddily made... they
        EXIST on shoddy.

        On a happier note, it sounds as though you do have the basis for a
        useful knot book updating knots and materials. You should consider
        collating your materials and investigating publication.