Re: [KnotTyers] Re: Knot boards

  • Howard Gibbins
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 16, 2007
      Chuck,

      When I did my first board I sewed the various knots onto the felt, but this
      wasn't a whole lot of fun. I've never tried hot glue. On my second one I used
      brass escutchion pins. I added to the "brass" feeling by using the little
      brass card holders you see on file drawers for my name plates.

      I have used the 50/50% white glue & water (preferably distilled in case you
      have any impurities in it) as a wash and it works quite well. Make sure you
      don't use "carpenter's glue" though as it dries with a slight yellowish tint.

      Howard

      --
      Latitude: 053 Deg. 32' 22" North, Longitude 113 Deg. 26' 29" West

      Websites: www.telusplanet.net/public/hgibbins
      www.edmontonrasc.com
      www.worldwidefirstaid.com
    • Chuck Henderson
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 8, 2007
        soI took the suggestion and I am using 5'16 nylone rope( that way it
        doesn't get stained by the oil from my hands) how long would you make
        the knots? I was thinking of 5 inches from end to end

        --- In knottyers@yahoogroups.com, Lindsey Philpott
        <pilgrimsailor@...> wrote:

        > I use a half/half mixture of white glue and water, which makes for
        a nice stiffening agent on cotton, without too much rigidity. Flax,
        hemp and manila seem not to need any stiffening if they are not to be
        handled. I recommend against brass tacks, because eventually they
        corrode/go blue and hot glue can tend to fail if the background has
        any fibers in it (like velvet) - it works well with solid board or
        card if using that as the background. How are you attaching the
        sennit? plain white glue works well there, without any water. I
        have also used fine stainless steel wire loops through a strand of
        the individual knot-cords, well hidden in the cord itself and then
        the two ends of the wire put through a hole behind the knot and then
        twisted through a small wooden or plastic bead.

        > Chuck Henderson <chu62003@...> wrote: one more question
        about displaying the knots, I read that some brush
        > white glue over the finished knot and let it dry, resulting in a
        very
        > stiff display, others sugest using a glue gun or small brass tacks.
        > what have you used?
        >
        > --- In knottyers@yahoogroups.com, Lindsey Philpott
        > <pilgrimsailor@> wrote:
        > >
        > > I would suggest limiting the number of knots and lashings to not
        > more than forty, using a line approximately 1/4-inch to 5/16-inch
        in
        > diameter (whipped each end of course). That way you can leave
        enough
        > room for your sennit and for a nameplate. Do post a photograph when
        > you have finished it! All the best with your project...
        > >
        > > Chuck Henderson <chu62003@> wrote: I am making a nice
        > knot board for my scout troop and have decided on
        > > the knots and lashings i want to show , my question is what size
        > rope
        > > to use, my board is 30X18 and I am putting black felt as a
        > background
        > > and using a Russian Sennit for the borders
        > >

        > > Lindsey
        > > Board Member IGKTPAB

        > Lindsey
        > Board Member IGKTPAB

      • Lindsey Philpott
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 8, 2007
          That sounds very good Chuck - each knot would then occupy an area of about 15 square inches (5" by 3") including the label and you could get 36 knots on the board altogether, with no overlap. If you overlap areas a little by staggering the knots horizontally and/or vertically, you can probably fit all forty, depending on each one taking up certain parts next to another or snuggling in next to a label.

          Chuck Henderson <chu62003@...> wrote: soI took the suggestion and I am using 5'16 nylone rope( that way it

          <pilgrimsailor@...> wrote:

          > I use a half/half mixture of white glue and water, which makes for
          a nice stiffening agent on cotton, without too much rigidity. Flax,
          hemp and manila seem not to need any stiffening if they are not to be
          handled. I recommend against brass tacks, because eventually they
          corrode/go blue and hot glue can tend to fail if the background has
          any fibers in it (like velvet) - it works well with solid board or
          card if using that as the background. How are you attaching the
          sennit? plain white glue works well there, without any water. I
          have also used fine stainless steel wire loops through a strand of
          the individual knot-cords, well hidden in the cord itself and then
          the two ends of the wire put through a hole behind the knot and then
          twisted through a small wooden or plastic bead.

          > Chuck Henderson <chu62003@...> wrote: one more question
          about displaying the knots, I read that some brush
          > white glue over the finished knot and let it dry, resulting in a
          very
          > stiff display, others sugest using a glue gun or small brass tacks.
          > what have you used?
          >
          > --- In knottyers@yahoogroups.com, Lindsey Philpott
          > <pilgrimsailor@> wrote:
          > >
          > > I would suggest limiting the number of knots and lashings to not
          > more than forty, using a line approximately 1/4-inch to 5/16-inch
          in
          > diameter (whipped each end of course). That way you can leave
          enough
          > room for your sennit and for a nameplate. Do post a photograph when
          > you have finished it! All the best with your project...
          > >
          > > Chuck Henderson <chu62003@> wrote: I am making a nice
          > knot board for my scout troop and have decided on
          > > the knots and lashings i want to show , my question is what size
          > rope
          > > to use, my board is 30X18 and I am putting black felt as a
          > background
          > > and using a Russian Sennit for the borders
          > >

          > > Lindsey
          > > Board Member IGKTPAB

          > Lindsey
          > Board Member IGKTPAB