Re: [KnotTyers] Re: Knotboard plaques

  • Dominicanpapi
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 11, 2007
      Does anyone can help me make a dominican flag
      El chulo
    • Rodger Atkin
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 11, 2007
        Just a thought that occurred to me, in electronics outlets catering to
        the electronics builder you can buy printed circuit board which has
        copper on one side and is made of brown or green fibre glass, this is
        then either written on with a special pen or can be printed with stick
        on letters or labels. this is then etched with acid to remove the
        copper where it is not covered. I don't know the cost but would think
        it much cheaper than having engraving done. Alternatively there is
        always the computer and stock card used for business cards or for
        smaller labels one of the printing machines that prints on plastic
        labelling.
        Hope this gives you some ideas

        --- In knottyers@yahoogroups.com, larryhelber <no_reply@...> wrote:

        > Does anyone have any recommended ways of creating the little name
        > plates for knots in a knot board? I am looking at two situation.
        > First is the simple name plaque that says "bowline" or "sheet bend".
        > The other would be one where I would put a description or interesting
        > information about a knot. This would typically be 1 or 2 paragraphs.
        >
        > Farming this out to an engraver would be expensive. If an engraver is
        > recommended then where is a cheap place to get the tools? I have also
        > seen plaques made by photo etching (typically copies of newspaper
        > articles) is this a possibility too?
        >
        > Any help or ideas would be appreciated.

      • Elizabet Curiel
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 12, 2007
          Hi, I am dominican, too (assuming you are). What kind of help do you need
          exactly? We need the details of the project you have in mind.

          Elizabet

          On 4/11/07, Dominicanpapi <dominicanpapi@...> wrote:

          > Does anyone can help me make a dominican flag
          > El chulo

        • Kohanzo, Keith
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 12, 2007
            Our scout troop made a large knot board (felt covered plywood). The
            labels were printed by computer in large type on card stock, which was
            in turn glued to a slightly larger piece of darker colored cardstock to
            make a border, then nailed on with brass escutcheon pins.

            Photo etching around here (rural Illinois) costs around $10 for a 1"x 3"
            plate, with the price increasing substantially with size.

            Keith Kohanzo
            Charleston, Illinois
          • Dominicanpapi
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 12, 2007
              Yes, I will like to make a dominican flag made with lanyard , but need
              help putting everything together
              El chulo
            • Dominicanpapi
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 12, 2007
                Yes, I will like to make a dominican flag made with lanyard , but need
                help putting everything together

                do anyone ca help me, que parte tu eres?
                El chulo
              • qz2vw0
                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 14, 2007
                  First I'd check with a trophy supplier - they may have more options
                  than the typical engraved aluminum stick-ons. Then check with a
                  scrapbook store for "journalling" and "embellishing" ideas. Finally,
                  you might do something tricky like print out a sheet of several
                  labels, then xerox that text onto acetate (a "flimsy" for overhead
                  projection) and mount that on top of a contrasting surface... or
                  something like that.

                  At a few computer shows I've attended, I've seen a wide variety of
                  specialty papers... you can print on silver or parchment...

                  The Garret (Garrett?) Wade catalog has some tools for fancy
                  attachments (like a combination paper punch / grommet setter).