Re: Try this new bend in a net??

  • Hugo
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 11, 2007
      It sure looks like the knot I used in making a net for use on a boat of
      mine. These nets were only about 24" x 40" , but were intended to be
      sure that none of the knots could slip, no matter which two lines were
      pulled. It's about twenty years old and still good as new, and no
      slippage.
      Also if you look very closly at some comercial made small nets that
      are round with an approxiamate cylinder shape, this knot is often used
      to join the layers as a seam at various points.
      hugo

      --- In knottyers@yahoogroups.com, "Satish Patki" <sapatki@...> wrote:

      > Hello,
      >
      > I have created an Album named Satish Patki and kept six photos in it.
      >
      > They show the making of the new bend described in message No.6005.
      >
      > Please see these photos.
      >
      > Satish Patki.

    • Satish Patki
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 15, 2007
        Could you please post the knot tyeing instructions for the knot
        you used for making the nets? The name of the knot would also be
        helpful. In case the knot has been published anywhere the reference
        may please be given.A photograph of your net and the knot would be
        welcome. Please do respond.

        Satish Patki

        --- In knottyers@yahoogroups.com, "Hugo" <dggoll1@...> wrote:

        > It sure looks like the knot I used in making a net for use on a
        boat of
        > mine. These nets were only about 24" x 40" , but were intended to
        be
        > sure that none of the knots could slip, no matter which two lines
        were
        > pulled. It's about twenty years old and still good as new, and no
        > slippage.
        > Also if you look very closly at some comercial made small nets
        that
        > are round with an approxiamate cylinder shape, this knot is often
        used
        > to join the layers as a seam at various points.
        > hugo
        >
        > --- In knottyers@yahoogroups.com, "Satish Patki" <sapatki@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Hello,
        > >
        > > I have created an Album named Satish Patki and kept six photos in
        it.

        > > They show the making of the new bend described in message No.6005.
        > >
        > > Please see these photos.
        > >
        > > Satish Patki.

      • roo_two
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 5, 2007
          Hi Satish,

          I quickly looked over your photos, so I hope I didn't miss something.
          Your bend seems very easy to untie. It stays open so much, that it
          seems to negatively affect its security when shaked.

          Now, maybe I'm not drawing it up correctly, or maybe I'm missing
          something in my haste, so feel free to set me straight.

          I noticed similiar properties in the inverse of the bend, where the
          free ends are treated as the parent line.
        • Satish Patki
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 7, 2007
            --- In knottyers@yahoogroups.com, "roo_two" <roo_two@...> wrote:

            > Hi Satish,
            >
            > I quickly looked over your photos, so I hope I didn't miss
            something.
            > Your bend seems very easy to untie. It stays open so much, that it
            > seems to negatively affect its security when shaked.
            >
            > Now, maybe I'm not drawing it up correctly, or maybe I'm missing
            > something in my haste, so feel free to set me straight.
            >
            > I noticed similiar properties in the inverse of the bend, where the
            > free ends are treated as the parent line.

            Hello,

            If the knot has been formed correctly by pulling on the standing
            parts and the ends it gives a very tight knot. One of the remarks
            which I got about the knot reads as under.

            "It happens to be the reverse (or nearly so) of a couple that have
            --both 1425-A and Roger Miles's "B12"/"Crossover Bend"."
          • roo_two
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 9, 2007
              --- In knottyers@yahoogroups.com, "Satish Patki" <sapatki@...> wrote:

              > --- In knottyers@yahoogroups.com, "roo_two" <roo_two@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Hi Satish,
              > >
              > > I quickly looked over your photos, so I hope I didn't miss
              > something.
              > > Your bend seems very easy to untie. It stays open so much, that
              it
              > > seems to negatively affect its security when shaked.
              > >
              > > Now, maybe I'm not drawing it up correctly, or maybe I'm missing
              > > something in my haste, so feel free to set me straight.
              > >
              > > I noticed similiar properties in the inverse of the bend, where
              the
              > > free ends are treated as the parent line.
              > >
              > Hello,
              >
              > If the knot has been formed correctly by pulling on the standing
              > parts and the ends it gives a very tight knot. One of the remarks
              > which I got about the knot reads as under.
              >
              > "It happens to be the reverse (or nearly so) of a couple that have
              > --both 1425-A and Roger Miles's "B12"/"Crossover Bend"."

              I think it was the way I was drawing it up. Many bends assume their
              final form without any appreciable coaxing. The present bend seems
              to need coaxing. I'll look into it more. Thanks.