Re: ABOK

  • willeke_igkt
    Message 1 of 22 , Mar 3, 2007
      I have the '94 version of ABOK, and I have never seen any pictures not
      included in my (English) copy. I believe the American version is the
      same save for the print on the cover.
      In some of the older versions some of the photo pages may be missing.
      But any version of ABOK is worth having.

      Willeke

      --- In knottyers@yahoogroups.com, "Hugo" <poon_hugo@...> wrote:

      > I have heard that IGKT members are making corrections and possibly
      > improvements, however some also say that in a few later editions,
      > there are some pictures that are missing in the beginning pages, does
      > anyone have info on this?
    • bazz_pard
      Message 2 of 22 , Mar 3, 2007
        How Do All ;-)

        The pages that are missing from later re-prints of the book are the
        end papers, these are pictures of most or all of the chest/chest
        beckets that are described in the decorative marlinspike seamanship
        section of the book.

        I have a 1993 copy of the book which does not have these, I found
        this to be quite annoying as imho they are an important part of the
        book as they are refered to in the above section, I have seen these
        missing end papers in an old copy and if I could get one cheap I
        would buy it just for the end papers.

        if anyone does have good pictures they could post of email of the end
        papers I would love to see them and would be very grateful.

        As to which copy is best; each to their own, both have mistakes.

        I hope this helps?
        Take care,
        Barry ;-)

        --- In knottyers@yahoogroups.com, "willeke_igkt" <willeke_igkt@...>
        wrote:

        > I have the '94 version of ABOK, and I have never seen any pictures
        not
        > included in my (English) copy. I believe the American version is
        the
        > same save for the print on the cover.
        > In some of the older versions some of the photo pages may be
        missing.
        > But any version of ABOK is worth having.
        >
        > Willeke
        >

        > --- In knottyers@yahoogroups.com, "Hugo" <poon_hugo@> wrote:
        > >
        > > I have heard that IGKT members are making corrections and possibly
        > > improvements, however some also say that in a few later editions,
        > > there are some pictures that are missing in the beginning pages,
        does
        > > anyone have info on this?

      • David
        Message 3 of 22 , Mar 3, 2007
          My version is 1946, no photo pages at all.
          It is inscribed on the flyleave to a Commander J.A.B. Harrisson from Susan &
          Daem van Doornuck, 1948.
          Well that's what the names look like.
          David.

          >I have the '94 version of ABOK, and I have never seen any pictures not
          > included in my (English) copy. I believe the American version is the
          > same save for the print on the cover.
          > In some of the older versions some of the photo pages may be missing.
          > But any version of ABOK is worth having.
          >
          > Willeke
        • Hugo
          Message 4 of 22 , Mar 3, 2007
            --- In knottyers@yahoogroups.com, "David" <hairy.dave@...> wrote:

            > My version is 1946, no photo pages at all.
            > It is inscribed on the flyleave to a Commander J.A.B. Harrisson from
            Susan &
            > Daem van Doornuck, 1948.
            > Well that's what the names look like.
            > David.

            Yes, however, I remember someone on IGKT saying that the later
            versions are missing the sea chest pictures in the front or something.
            Willeke, it's nice to see you're in this group too! I wanted to join
            IGKT but I never get the confirmation email. I wonder why...
          • Howard Gibbins
            Message 5 of 22 , Mar 3, 2007
              Greetings,

              A few of us were trying to start up a knotting database on the internet, but
              I'm not sure if the others are still involved. I wasn't able to contribute
              much to it due to life interfering with my hobbies.

              Howard

              On Friday March 2 2007 8:28 pm, Hugo wrote:
              > I have heard that IGKT members are making corrections and possibly
              > improvements, however some also say that in a few later editions,
              > there are some pictures that are missing in the beginning pages, does
              > anyone have info on this?
              >

              > --- In knottyers@yahoogroups.com, hugo ackermann <dggoll1@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > For an author that is no longer with us, is this book being updated
              > or improoved?
              > > Hugo
              > >
              > > Hugo <poon_hugo@...> wrote:
              > > I would like to ask, which year of publication is the best
              > ABOK? I
              > > have 1994, and I would like to know your opinions of which is best.
              > >
              > > Hugo

              Latitude: 053 Deg. 32' 22" North, Longitude 113 Deg. 26' 29" West

              Websites: www.telusplanet.net/public/hgibbins
              www.edmontonrasc.com
              www.worldwidefirstaid.com
            • Jimmy R. Williams
              Message 6 of 22 , Mar 3, 2007
                My ABOK has the pix of the sea chests with the beckets. I made pix
                and posted them on http://photos.yahoo.com/igktpab. The album title
                is 070303 end papers. I believe that since these pix are not in the
                newer versions, that I am NOT infringing copyright?

                I hope this is helpful
                Jimmy

                --- In knottyers@yahoogroups.com, Howard Gibbins <hgibbins@...> wrote:

                > Greetings,
                >
                > A few of us were trying to start up a knotting database on the
                internet, but
                > I'm not sure if the others are still involved. I wasn't able to
                contribute
                > much to it due to life interfering with my hobbies.
                >
                > Howard
                >
                > On Friday March 2 2007 8:28 pm, Hugo wrote:
                > > I have heard that IGKT members are making corrections and possibly
                > > improvements, however some also say that in a few later editions,
                > > there are some pictures that are missing in the beginning pages,
                does
                > > anyone have info on this?
                > >

                > > --- In knottyers@yahoogroups.com, hugo ackermann <dggoll1@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > For an author that is no longer with us, is this book being
                updated
                > > or improoved?
                > > > Hugo
                > > >
                > > > Hugo <poon_hugo@> wrote:
                > > > I would like to ask, which year of publication is the
                best
                > > ABOK? I
                > > > have 1994, and I would like to know your opinions of which is
                best.

                > > > Hugo

                > > Yahoo! Groups Links
                > >

                > --
                > Latitude: 053 Deg. 32' 22" North, Longitude 113 Deg. 26' 29" West
                >
                > Websites: www.telusplanet.net/public/hgibbins
                > www.edmontonrasc.com
                > www.worldwidefirstaid.com

              • bazz_pard
                Message 7 of 22 , Mar 3, 2007
                  Hi Jimmy,

                  Thank you for doing that jimmy, but no one will be able to view the
                  pictures as you have posted them in th old pab album, this can not be
                  viewed.
                  if you can post them in this one that would be great.

                  http://new.photos.yahoo.com/igktpab/albums

                  I think that yahoo has changed the album set up.

                  Take care,
                  Barry ;-)

                  --- In knottyers@yahoogroups.com, "Jimmy R. Williams" <aknotter@...>
                  wrote:

                  > My ABOK has the pix of the sea chests with the beckets. I made pix
                  > and posted them on http://photos.yahoo.com/igktpab. The album title
                  > is 070303 end papers. I believe that since these pix are not in the
                  > newer versions, that I am NOT infringing copyright?
                  >
                  > I hope this is helpful
                  > Jimmy
                  >
                  > --- In knottyers@yahoogroups.com, Howard Gibbins <hgibbins@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Greetings,
                  > >
                  > > A few of us were trying to start up a knotting database on the
                  > internet, but
                  > > I'm not sure if the others are still involved. I wasn't able to
                  > contribute
                  > > much to it due to life interfering with my hobbies.
                  > >
                  > > Howard
                  > >
                  > > On Friday March 2 2007 8:28 pm, Hugo wrote:
                  > > > I have heard that IGKT members are making corrections and
                  possibly
                  > > > improvements, however some also say that in a few later
                  editions,
                  > > > there are some pictures that are missing in the beginning
                  pages,
                  > does
                  > > > anyone have info on this?
                  > > >

                  > > > --- In knottyers@yahoogroups.com, hugo ackermann <dggoll1@>

                  > updated
                  > > > or improoved?

                  > best
                  > > > ABOK? I
                  > best.

                  > > > Yahoo! Groups Links
                  > > >

                  > > --
                  > > Latitude: 053 Deg. 32' 22" North, Longitude 113 Deg. 26' 29" West
                  > >
                  > > Websites: www.telusplanet.net/public/hgibbins
                  > > www.edmontonrasc.com
                  > > www.worldwidefirstaid.com

                • willeke_igkt
                  Message 8 of 22 , Mar 3, 2007
                    Would it be posible to change the privacy settings of the old albums,
                    that seems the problem right now.

                    Willeke

                    --- In knottyers@yahoogroups.com, "bazz_pard" <bazbrown@...> wrote:

                    > Hi Jimmy,
                    >
                    > Thank you for doing that jimmy, but no one will be able to view the
                    > pictures as you have posted them in th old pab album, this can not
                    be
                    > viewed.
                    > if you can post them in this one that would be great.
                    >
                    > http://new.photos.yahoo.com/igktpab/albums
                    >
                    > I think that yahoo has changed the album set up.
                    >
                    > Take care,
                    > Barry ;-)
                    >
                    > --- In knottyers@yahoogroups.com, "Jimmy R. Williams" <aknotter@>
                    > wrote:
                    > >
                    > > My ABOK has the pix of the sea chests with the beckets. I made
                    pix
                    > > and posted them on http://photos.yahoo.com/igktpab. The album
                    title
                    > > is 070303 end papers. I believe that since these pix are not in
                    the
                    > > newer versions, that I am NOT infringing copyright?
                    > >
                    > > I hope this is helpful
                    > > Jimmy
                  • Jimmy R. Williams
                    Message 9 of 22 , Mar 3, 2007
                      Well, firstly it is a personal album, and secondly I'm dumb enough to
                      have posted it as "private". But I wised up (after reading the posts)
                      and changed it to public! the address again for convenience is . . .
                      http://photos.yahoo.com/igktpab and the album name is 070303 end
                      papers.

                      Sorry for the "senior moment".

                      wrote:

                      > Would it be posible to change the privacy settings of the old
                      albums,
                      > that seems the problem right now.
                      >
                      > Willeke
                      >

                      > --- In knottyers@yahoogroups.com, "bazz_pard" <bazbrown@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Hi Jimmy,
                      > >
                      > > Thank you for doing that jimmy, but no one will be able to view
                      the
                      > > pictures as you have posted them in th old pab album, this can
                      not
                      > be
                      > > viewed.
                      > > if you can post them in this one that would be great.
                      > >
                      > > http://new.photos.yahoo.com/igktpab/albums
                      > >
                      > > I think that yahoo has changed the album set up.
                      > >
                      > > Take care,
                      > > Barry ;-)
                      > >
                      > > --- In knottyers@yahoogroups.com, "Jimmy R. Williams" <aknotter@>
                      > > wrote:
                      > > >
                      > > > My ABOK has the pix of the sea chests with the beckets. I made
                      > pix
                      > > > and posted them on http://photos.yahoo.com/igktpab. The album
                      > title
                      > > > is 070303 end papers. I believe that since these pix are not in
                      > the
                      > > > newer versions, that I am NOT infringing copyright?
                      > > >
                      > > > I hope this is helpful
                      > > > Jimmy

                    • hugo ackermann
                      Message 10 of 22 , Mar 3, 2007
                        I had no problem viewing, you must take off the period and the spaces, works fine

                        willeke_igkt <willeke_igkt@...> wrote: Would it be posible to change the privacy settings of the old albums,
                        that seems the problem right now.

                        Willeke

                        --- In knottyers@yahoogroups.com, "bazz_pard" <bazbrown@...> wrote:

                        > Hi Jimmy,
                        >
                        > Thank you for doing that jimmy, but no one will be able to view the
                        > pictures as you have posted them in th old pab album, this can not
                        be
                        > viewed.
                        > if you can post them in this one that would be great.
                        >
                        > http://new.photos.yahoo.com/igktpab/albums
                        >
                        > I think that yahoo has changed the album set up.
                        >
                        > Take care,
                        > Barry ;-)
                        >
                        > --- In knottyers@yahoogroups.com, "Jimmy R. Williams" <aknotter@>
                        > wrote:
                        > >
                        > > My ABOK has the pix of the sea chests with the beckets. I made
                        pix
                        > > and posted them on http://photos.yahoo.com/igktpab. The album
                        title
                        > > is 070303 end papers. I believe that since these pix are not in
                        the
                        > > newer versions, that I am NOT infringing copyright?
                        > >
                        > > I hope this is helpful
                        > > Jimmy

                      • bazz_pard
                        Message 11 of 22 , Mar 4, 2007
                          How Do Jimmy ;-)

                          Thank you for putting the photos in there for us, much appreciated.
                          I think it is a shame that the publishers felt the need to remove
                          them from later editions, the fact that they left in the relevant
                          text to go with them makes you wonder if they even bothered reading
                          any of it, if they had I think they would have kept them.

                          Thank's again,

                          wrote:

                          > Well, firstly it is a personal album, and secondly I'm dumb enough
                          > have posted it as "private". But I wised up (after reading the
                          posts)
                          > and changed it to public! the address again for convenience is . . .
                          > http://photos.yahoo.com/igktpab and the album name is 070303 end
                          > papers.
                          >
                          > Sorry for the "senior moment".
                          >
                          > --- In knottyers@yahoogroups.com, "willeke_igkt" <willeke_igkt@>
                          > wrote:
                          > >
                          > > Would it be posible to change the privacy settings of the old
                          > albums,
                          > > that seems the problem right now.
                          > >
                          > > Willeke
                          > >

                          > > --- In knottyers@yahoogroups.com, "bazz_pard" <bazbrown@> wrote:
                          > > >
                          > > > Hi Jimmy,
                          > > >
                          > > > Thank you for doing that jimmy, but no one will be able to view
                          > the
                          > > > pictures as you have posted them in th old pab album, this can
                          > not
                          > > be
                          > > > viewed.
                          > > > if you can post them in this one that would be great.
                          > > >
                          > > > http://new.photos.yahoo.com/igktpab/albums
                          > > >
                          > > > I think that yahoo has changed the album set up.
                          > > >
                          > > > Take care,
                          > > > Barry ;-)
                          > > >
                          > > > --- In knottyers@yahoogroups.com, "Jimmy R. Williams"
                          <aknotter@>

                          > > pix
                          > > title
                          > > the

                        • Ernie Bell
                          Message 12 of 22 , Mar 4, 2007
                            Hi,
                            I have the ABOK and find it very interesting. However, one thing I
                            have problems with is the concept of covering a bottle with rope. I
                            like the design and the look, but the mechanics of it appears to be a
                            challenge for me.
                            Is there any tutorials available that would better explain how to
                            start the process and how to splice in extra rope/twine when at the
                            end. Any help would be appreciated.

                            Thanks
                            Ernie
                          • roger buck
                            Message 13 of 22 , Mar 4, 2007
                              Hey brother,

                              Well covering bottles is actually not that hard needle hitching is the way i do it. Ive done about 6 now let me get my $%#@ together and ill send you pictures. Just make a line needle and half hitch it down. Ill try and email you back soon w/some pictures.

                              roger

                              Message 14 of 22 , Mar 4, 2007
                                Roger,
                                Thanks

                                Ernie

                                roger buck wrote:

                                > Hey brother,
                                >
                                > Well covering bottles is actually not that hard needle hitching is the
                                > way i do it. Ive done about 6 now let me get my $%#@ together and ill
                                > send you pictures. Just make a line needle and half hitch it down. Ill
                                > try and email you back soon w/some pictures.
                                >
                                > roger

                              • Ernie Bell
                                Message 15 of 22 , Mar 4, 2007
                                  Roger,
                                  Also, do you start from the top of the bottle or the bottom?

                                  Ernie

                                  roger buck wrote:

                                  > Hey brother,
                                  >
                                  > Well covering bottles is actually not that hard needle hitching is the
                                  > way i do it. Ive done about 6 now let me get my $%#@ together and ill
                                  > send you pictures. Just make a line needle and half hitch it down. Ill
                                  > try and email you back soon w/some pictures.
                                  >
                                  > roger

                                • roger buck
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Mar 4, 2007
                                    Well ernie,

                                    Here are some pics that may give you an idea. I just kind of took it into my own hands and started doing it ashleys was a big help if you dont have it also let me know. Start at the top you can c in these pics one of those i put a handle on one of those pretty much your imagination is your limit.

                                    roger

                                    Message 17 of 22 , Mar 4, 2007
                                      i dont see the pics...did you attach them?

                                      Ken