ABOK

  • Hugo
    Message 1 of 22 , Mar 1, 2007
      I would like to ask, which year of publication is the best ABOK? I
      have 1994, and I would like to know your opinions of which is best.

      Hugo
    • hugo ackermann
      Message 2 of 22 , Mar 1, 2007
        For an author that is no longer with us, is this book being updated or improoved?
        Hugo

        Hugo <poon_hugo@...> wrote:
        I would like to ask, which year of publication is the best ABOK? I
        have 1994, and I would like to know your opinions of which is best.

        Hugo

      • Vince Brennan
        Message 3 of 22 , Mar 2, 2007
          --- In knottyers@yahoogroups.com, hugo ackermann <dggoll1@...> wrote:

          For an author that is no longer with us, is this book being updated or
          improved?
          Hugo

          Which year of publication is the best ABOK? I have 1994, and I would
          like to know your opinions of which is best.

          Your present volume is good to go....

          I know that Geoff Budworth (of the IGKT) did the last update and
          revision of it....
        • Hugo
          Message 4 of 22 , Mar 2, 2007
            I have heard that IGKT members are making corrections and possibly
            improvements, however some also say that in a few later editions,
            there are some pictures that are missing in the beginning pages, does
            anyone have info on this?

            --- In knottyers@yahoogroups.com, hugo ackermann <dggoll1@...> wrote:

            > For an author that is no longer with us, is this book being updated
            or improoved?
            > Hugo
            >
            > Hugo <poon_hugo@...> wrote:
            > I would like to ask, which year of publication is the best
            ABOK? I
            > have 1994, and I would like to know your opinions of which is best.
            >
            > Hugo

          • Hugo
            Message 5 of 22 , Mar 2, 2007
              I have heard that IGKT members are trying to make corrections, due to
              some missing knots. However in SOME later editions, a few pictures are
              missing from the front, so some people say. Does anyone have info on
              this?

              --- In knottyers@yahoogroups.com, hugo ackermann <dggoll1@...> wrote:

              > For an author that is no longer with us, is this book being updated or
              improoved?
              > Hugo
              >
              > Hugo poon_hugo@... wrote:
              > I would like to ask, which year of publication is the best
              ABOK? I
              > have 1994, and I would like to know your opinions of which is best.
              >
              > Hugo

            • willeke_igkt
              Message 6 of 22 , Mar 3, 2007
                I have the '94 version of ABOK, and I have never seen any pictures not
                included in my (English) copy. I believe the American version is the
                same save for the print on the cover.
                In some of the older versions some of the photo pages may be missing.
                But any version of ABOK is worth having.

                Willeke

                --- In knottyers@yahoogroups.com, "Hugo" <poon_hugo@...> wrote:

                > I have heard that IGKT members are making corrections and possibly
                > improvements, however some also say that in a few later editions,
                > there are some pictures that are missing in the beginning pages, does
                > anyone have info on this?
              • bazz_pard
                Message 7 of 22 , Mar 3, 2007
                  How Do All ;-)

                  The pages that are missing from later re-prints of the book are the
                  end papers, these are pictures of most or all of the chest/chest
                  beckets that are described in the decorative marlinspike seamanship
                  section of the book.

                  I have a 1993 copy of the book which does not have these, I found
                  this to be quite annoying as imho they are an important part of the
                  book as they are refered to in the above section, I have seen these
                  missing end papers in an old copy and if I could get one cheap I
                  would buy it just for the end papers.

                  if anyone does have good pictures they could post of email of the end
                  papers I would love to see them and would be very grateful.

                  As to which copy is best; each to their own, both have mistakes.

                  I hope this helps?
                  Take care,
                  Barry ;-)

                  --- In knottyers@yahoogroups.com, "willeke_igkt" <willeke_igkt@...>
                  wrote:

                  > I have the '94 version of ABOK, and I have never seen any pictures
                  not
                  > included in my (English) copy. I believe the American version is
                  the
                  > same save for the print on the cover.
                  > In some of the older versions some of the photo pages may be
                  missing.
                  > But any version of ABOK is worth having.
                  >
                  > Willeke
                  >

                  > --- In knottyers@yahoogroups.com, "Hugo" <poon_hugo@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > I have heard that IGKT members are making corrections and possibly
                  > > improvements, however some also say that in a few later editions,
                  > > there are some pictures that are missing in the beginning pages,
                  does
                  > > anyone have info on this?

                • David
                  Message 8 of 22 , Mar 3, 2007
                    My version is 1946, no photo pages at all.
                    It is inscribed on the flyleave to a Commander J.A.B. Harrisson from Susan &
                    Daem van Doornuck, 1948.
                    Well that's what the names look like.
                    David.

                    >I have the '94 version of ABOK, and I have never seen any pictures not
                    > included in my (English) copy. I believe the American version is the
                    > same save for the print on the cover.
                    > In some of the older versions some of the photo pages may be missing.
                    > But any version of ABOK is worth having.
                    >
                    > Willeke
                  • Hugo
                    Message 9 of 22 , Mar 3, 2007
                      --- In knottyers@yahoogroups.com, "David" <hairy.dave@...> wrote:

                      > My version is 1946, no photo pages at all.
                      > It is inscribed on the flyleave to a Commander J.A.B. Harrisson from
                      Susan &
                      > Daem van Doornuck, 1948.
                      > Well that's what the names look like.
                      > David.

                      Yes, however, I remember someone on IGKT saying that the later
                      versions are missing the sea chest pictures in the front or something.
                      Willeke, it's nice to see you're in this group too! I wanted to join
                      IGKT but I never get the confirmation email. I wonder why...
                    • Howard Gibbins
                      Message 10 of 22 , Mar 3, 2007
                        Greetings,

                        A few of us were trying to start up a knotting database on the internet, but
                        I'm not sure if the others are still involved. I wasn't able to contribute
                        much to it due to life interfering with my hobbies.

                        Howard

                        On Friday March 2 2007 8:28 pm, Hugo wrote:
                        > I have heard that IGKT members are making corrections and possibly
                        > improvements, however some also say that in a few later editions,
                        > there are some pictures that are missing in the beginning pages, does
                        > anyone have info on this?
                        >

                        > --- In knottyers@yahoogroups.com, hugo ackermann <dggoll1@...> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > For an author that is no longer with us, is this book being updated
                        > or improoved?
                        > > Hugo
                        > >
                        > > Hugo <poon_hugo@...> wrote:
                        > > I would like to ask, which year of publication is the best
                        > ABOK? I
                        > > have 1994, and I would like to know your opinions of which is best.
                        > >
                        > > Hugo

                        Latitude: 053 Deg. 32' 22" North, Longitude 113 Deg. 26' 29" West

                        Websites: www.telusplanet.net/public/hgibbins
                        www.edmontonrasc.com
                        www.worldwidefirstaid.com
                      • Jimmy R. Williams
                        Message 11 of 22 , Mar 3, 2007
                          My ABOK has the pix of the sea chests with the beckets. I made pix
                          and posted them on http://photos.yahoo.com/igktpab. The album title
                          is 070303 end papers. I believe that since these pix are not in the
                          newer versions, that I am NOT infringing copyright?

                          I hope this is helpful
                          Jimmy

                          --- In knottyers@yahoogroups.com, Howard Gibbins <hgibbins@...> wrote:

                          > Greetings,
                          >
                          > A few of us were trying to start up a knotting database on the
                          internet, but
                          > I'm not sure if the others are still involved. I wasn't able to
                          contribute
                          > much to it due to life interfering with my hobbies.
                          >
                          > Howard
                          >
                          > On Friday March 2 2007 8:28 pm, Hugo wrote:
                          > > I have heard that IGKT members are making corrections and possibly
                          > > improvements, however some also say that in a few later editions,
                          > > there are some pictures that are missing in the beginning pages,
                          does
                          > > anyone have info on this?
                          > >

                          > > --- In knottyers@yahoogroups.com, hugo ackermann <dggoll1@> wrote:
                          > > >
                          > > > For an author that is no longer with us, is this book being
                          updated
                          > > or improoved?
                          > > > Hugo
                          > > >
                          > > > Hugo <poon_hugo@> wrote:
                          > > > I would like to ask, which year of publication is the
                          best
                          > > ABOK? I
                          > > > have 1994, and I would like to know your opinions of which is
                          best.

                          > > > Hugo

                          > > Yahoo! Groups Links
                          > >

                          > --
                          > Latitude: 053 Deg. 32' 22" North, Longitude 113 Deg. 26' 29" West
                          >
                          > Websites: www.telusplanet.net/public/hgibbins
                          > www.edmontonrasc.com
                          > www.worldwidefirstaid.com

                        • bazz_pard
                          Message 12 of 22 , Mar 3, 2007
                            Hi Jimmy,

                            Thank you for doing that jimmy, but no one will be able to view the
                            pictures as you have posted them in th old pab album, this can not be
                            viewed.
                            if you can post them in this one that would be great.

                            http://new.photos.yahoo.com/igktpab/albums

                            I think that yahoo has changed the album set up.

                            Take care,
                            Barry ;-)

                            --- In knottyers@yahoogroups.com, "Jimmy R. Williams" <aknotter@...>
                            wrote:

                            > My ABOK has the pix of the sea chests with the beckets. I made pix
                            > and posted them on http://photos.yahoo.com/igktpab. The album title
                            > is 070303 end papers. I believe that since these pix are not in the
                            > newer versions, that I am NOT infringing copyright?
                            >
                            > I hope this is helpful
                            > Jimmy
                            >
                            > --- In knottyers@yahoogroups.com, Howard Gibbins <hgibbins@> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > Greetings,
                            > >
                            > > A few of us were trying to start up a knotting database on the
                            > internet, but
                            > > I'm not sure if the others are still involved. I wasn't able to
                            > contribute
                            > > much to it due to life interfering with my hobbies.
                            > >
                            > > Howard
                            > >
                            > > On Friday March 2 2007 8:28 pm, Hugo wrote:
                            > > > I have heard that IGKT members are making corrections and
                            possibly
                            > > > improvements, however some also say that in a few later
                            editions,
                            > > > there are some pictures that are missing in the beginning
                            pages,
                            > does
                            > > > anyone have info on this?
                            > > >

                            > > > --- In knottyers@yahoogroups.com, hugo ackermann <dggoll1@>

                            > updated
                            > > > or improoved?

                            > best
                            > > > ABOK? I
                            > best.

                            > > > Yahoo! Groups Links
                            > > >

                            > > --
                            > > Latitude: 053 Deg. 32' 22" North, Longitude 113 Deg. 26' 29" West
                            > >
                            > > Websites: www.telusplanet.net/public/hgibbins
                            > > www.edmontonrasc.com
                            > > www.worldwidefirstaid.com

                          • willeke_igkt
                            Message 13 of 22 , Mar 3, 2007
                              Would it be posible to change the privacy settings of the old albums,
                              that seems the problem right now.

                              Willeke

                              --- In knottyers@yahoogroups.com, "bazz_pard" <bazbrown@...> wrote:

                              > Hi Jimmy,
                              >
                              > Thank you for doing that jimmy, but no one will be able to view the
                              > pictures as you have posted them in th old pab album, this can not
                              be
                              > viewed.
                              > if you can post them in this one that would be great.
                              >
                              > http://new.photos.yahoo.com/igktpab/albums
                              >
                              > I think that yahoo has changed the album set up.
                              >
                              > Take care,
                              > Barry ;-)
                              >
                              > --- In knottyers@yahoogroups.com, "Jimmy R. Williams" <aknotter@>
                              > wrote:
                              > >
                              > > My ABOK has the pix of the sea chests with the beckets. I made
                              pix
                              > > and posted them on http://photos.yahoo.com/igktpab. The album
                              title
                              > > is 070303 end papers. I believe that since these pix are not in
                              the
                              > > newer versions, that I am NOT infringing copyright?
                              > >
                              > > I hope this is helpful
                              > > Jimmy
                            • Jimmy R. Williams
                              Message 14 of 22 , Mar 3, 2007
                                Well, firstly it is a personal album, and secondly I'm dumb enough to
                                have posted it as "private". But I wised up (after reading the posts)
                                and changed it to public! the address again for convenience is . . .
                                http://photos.yahoo.com/igktpab and the album name is 070303 end
                                papers.

                                Sorry for the "senior moment".

                                wrote:

                                > Would it be posible to change the privacy settings of the old
                                albums,
                                > that seems the problem right now.
                                >
                                > Willeke
                                >

                                > --- In knottyers@yahoogroups.com, "bazz_pard" <bazbrown@> wrote:
                                > >
                                > > Hi Jimmy,
                                > >
                                > > Thank you for doing that jimmy, but no one will be able to view
                                the
                                > > pictures as you have posted them in th old pab album, this can
                                not
                                > be
                                > > viewed.
                                > > if you can post them in this one that would be great.
                                > >
                                > > http://new.photos.yahoo.com/igktpab/albums
                                > >
                                > > I think that yahoo has changed the album set up.
                                > >
                                > > Take care,
                                > > Barry ;-)
                                > >
                                > > --- In knottyers@yahoogroups.com, "Jimmy R. Williams" <aknotter@>
                                > > wrote:
                                > > >
                                > > > My ABOK has the pix of the sea chests with the beckets. I made
                                > pix
                                > > > and posted them on http://photos.yahoo.com/igktpab. The album
                                > title
                                > > > is 070303 end papers. I believe that since these pix are not in
                                > the
                                > > > newer versions, that I am NOT infringing copyright?
                                > > >
                                > > > I hope this is helpful
                                > > > Jimmy

                              • hugo ackermann
                                Message 15 of 22 , Mar 3, 2007
                                  I had no problem viewing, you must take off the period and the spaces, works fine

                                  willeke_igkt <willeke_igkt@...> wrote: Would it be posible to change the privacy settings of the old albums,
                                  that seems the problem right now.

                                  Willeke

                                  --- In knottyers@yahoogroups.com, "bazz_pard" <bazbrown@...> wrote:

                                  > Hi Jimmy,
                                  >
                                  > Thank you for doing that jimmy, but no one will be able to view the
                                  > pictures as you have posted them in th old pab album, this can not
                                  be
                                  > viewed.
                                  > if you can post them in this one that would be great.
                                  >
                                  > http://new.photos.yahoo.com/igktpab/albums
                                  >
                                  > I think that yahoo has changed the album set up.
                                  >
                                  > Take care,
                                  > Barry ;-)
                                  >
                                  > --- In knottyers@yahoogroups.com, "Jimmy R. Williams" <aknotter@>
                                  > wrote:
                                  > >
                                  > > My ABOK has the pix of the sea chests with the beckets. I made
                                  pix
                                  > > and posted them on http://photos.yahoo.com/igktpab. The album
                                  title
                                  > > is 070303 end papers. I believe that since these pix are not in
                                  the
                                  > > newer versions, that I am NOT infringing copyright?
                                  > >
                                  > > I hope this is helpful
                                  > > Jimmy

                                • bazz_pard
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Mar 4, 2007
                                    How Do Jimmy ;-)

                                    Thank you for putting the photos in there for us, much appreciated.
                                    I think it is a shame that the publishers felt the need to remove
                                    them from later editions, the fact that they left in the relevant
                                    text to go with them makes you wonder if they even bothered reading
                                    any of it, if they had I think they would have kept them.

                                    Thank's again,

                                    wrote:

                                    > Well, firstly it is a personal album, and secondly I'm dumb enough
                                    > have posted it as "private". But I wised up (after reading the
                                    posts)
                                    > and changed it to public! the address again for convenience is . . .
                                    > http://photos.yahoo.com/igktpab and the album name is 070303 end
                                    > papers.
                                    >
                                    > Sorry for the "senior moment".
                                    >
                                    > --- In knottyers@yahoogroups.com, "willeke_igkt" <willeke_igkt@>
                                    > wrote:
                                    > >
                                    > > Would it be posible to change the privacy settings of the old
                                    > albums,
                                    > > that seems the problem right now.
                                    > >
                                    > > Willeke
                                    > >

                                    > > --- In knottyers@yahoogroups.com, "bazz_pard" <bazbrown@> wrote:
                                    > > >
                                    > > > Hi Jimmy,
                                    > > >
                                    > > > Thank you for doing that jimmy, but no one will be able to view
                                    > the
                                    > > > pictures as you have posted them in th old pab album, this can
                                    > not
                                    > > be
                                    > > > viewed.
                                    > > > if you can post them in this one that would be great.
                                    > > >
                                    > > > http://new.photos.yahoo.com/igktpab/albums
                                    > > >
                                    > > > I think that yahoo has changed the album set up.
                                    > > >
                                    > > > Take care,
                                    > > > Barry ;-)
                                    > > >
                                    > > > --- In knottyers@yahoogroups.com, "Jimmy R. Williams"
                                    <aknotter@>

                                    > > pix
                                    > > title
                                    > > the

                                  • Ernie Bell
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Mar 4, 2007
                                      Hi,
                                      I have the ABOK and find it very interesting. However, one thing I
                                      have problems with is the concept of covering a bottle with rope. I
                                      like the design and the look, but the mechanics of it appears to be a
                                      challenge for me.
                                      Is there any tutorials available that would better explain how to
                                      start the process and how to splice in extra rope/twine when at the
                                      end. Any help would be appreciated.

                                      Thanks
                                      Ernie
                                    • roger buck
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Mar 4, 2007
                                        Hey brother,

                                        Well covering bottles is actually not that hard needle hitching is the way i do it. Ive done about 6 now let me get my $%#@ together and ill send you pictures. Just make a line needle and half hitch it down. Ill try and email you back soon w/some pictures.

                                        roger

                                        Message 19 of 22 , Mar 4, 2007
                                          Roger,
                                          Thanks

                                          Ernie

                                          roger buck wrote:

                                          > Hey brother,
                                          >
                                          > Well covering bottles is actually not that hard needle hitching is the
                                          > way i do it. Ive done about 6 now let me get my $%#@ together and ill
                                          > send you pictures. Just make a line needle and half hitch it down. Ill
                                          > try and email you back soon w/some pictures.
                                          >
                                          > roger

                                        • Ernie Bell
                                          Message 20 of 22 , Mar 4, 2007
                                            Roger,
                                            Also, do you start from the top of the bottle or the bottom?

                                            Ernie

                                            roger buck wrote:

                                            > Hey brother,
                                            >
                                            > Well covering bottles is actually not that hard needle hitching is the
                                            > way i do it. Ive done about 6 now let me get my $%#@ together and ill
                                            > send you pictures. Just make a line needle and half hitch it down. Ill
                                            > try and email you back soon w/some pictures.
                                            >
                                            > roger

                                          • roger buck
                                            Message 21 of 22 , Mar 4, 2007
                                              Well ernie,

                                              Here are some pics that may give you an idea. I just kind of took it into my own hands and started doing it ashleys was a big help if you dont have it also let me know. Start at the top you can c in these pics one of those i put a handle on one of those pretty much your imagination is your limit.

                                              roger

                                              Message 22 of 22 , Mar 4, 2007
                                                i dont see the pics...did you attach them?

                                                Ken