suppliers...

  • pete willmin
    Message 1 of 16 , Nov 1, 2006
      My name is Pete and I live in West Sussex, UK. I have
      a project that I hope someone might be able to help
      with. I am building a 3 wheel Morganesque type car
      called a Pembleton Grasshopper that uses Citroen 2CV
      donor parts. I have a single spoke steering wheel that
      I hope to adapt by binding the circumference with cord
      as often a lot of period racers were. I have checked
      out two chandlers so far but have only found synthetic
      ropes and cordage there. Hardware stores can only
      muster parcel string or sash cord and the local
      haberdashers just gave me a strange look!! I am
      looking for something around 5mm. diameter and would
      need about 25m. The only book I have (so far!) on
      knots and knot tying is G. Budworths book The Complete
      guide to Knots and Knot Tying. On p.27 there seems to
      be the kind of cordage I'm trying to find or even
      better, the cord used for the Double Pile Hitch
      demonstrated on p.103. or the Good Luck Knot on p.142.
      Sorry for such a long ramble but if someone could
      point me to a source of natural cordage, I would be
      very much obliged. Best regards, Pete.

      http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/nowyoucan.html
    • Eddie Climo
      Message 2 of 16 , Nov 4, 2006
        Hi Pete,
        Probably your best bet would be to contact Des Pawson of Footrope Knots in Ipswich
        (http://www.bigwig.net/knots/footrope.htm), who will certainly have what you want. His website is
        a little short on details, but he'll send you a more detailed catalogue by post if you ask him
        nicely. I see from my 2-year old copy that he still a small amount left of 6mm laid cotton at
        60p/metre, or no.5 chalk line (24-thread, 1.9mm) 55-metre ball for £4.50.

        My choice for a job like that would be to use builders' cord, which you can buy from any builders'
        merchants. It comes in a range of thicknesses, cotton or nylon, laid or braided, and most of it's
        undyed. Cost about £1 to £1.50 per 18-metre hank, and you can get up to 4 hanks uncut if you ask.
        You can also buy it online, in hanks and balls; try:
        http://www.toolfastdirect.co.uk/acatalog/Cardoc_Lines.html
        Brands to look for include Cardoc and Faithful. There's also Cardoc Surveyor's Line, which is
        thicker, and might be worth trying.

        My local builders' merchant also has braided nylon in a range of diameters.

        If you are set on having natural fibre, my choice would be cotton; more absorbent than nylon, but
        not quite as easy to clean.

        Hope this helps,
        Eddie

        --- pete willmin <petewillmin@...> wrote:

        > My name is Pete and I live in West Sussex, UK. I have
        > a project that I hope someone might be able to help
        > with. I am building a 3 wheel Morganesque type car
        > called a Pembleton Grasshopper that uses Citroen 2CV
        > donor parts. I have a single spoke steering wheel that
        > I hope to adapt by binding the circumference with cord
        > as often a lot of period racers were. I have checked
        > out two chandlers so far but have only found synthetic
        > ropes and cordage there. Hardware stores can only
        > muster parcel string or sash cord and the local
        > haberdashers just gave me a strange look!! I am
        > looking for something around 5mm. diameter and would
        > need about 25m. The only book I have (so far!) on
        > knots and knot tying is G. Budworths book The Complete
        > guide to Knots and Knot Tying. On p.27 there seems to
        > be the kind of cordage I'm trying to find or even
        > better, the cord used for the Double Pile Hitch
        > demonstrated on p.103. or the Good Luck Knot on p.142.
        > Sorry for such a long ramble but if someone could
        > point me to a source of natural cordage, I would be
        > very much obliged. Best regards, Pete.

        > Try the all-new Yahoo! Mail. "The New Version is radically easier to use" – The Wall Street
        > Journal
        > http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/nowyoucan.html

        Eddie Climo
        eddie_climo@...

        =======/... & onto the final stage: proof-tying .../=======

        "Turk's Heads & Pineapple Knots - it ain't Rocket Science!"

        -- Scientia Pyrotechnica Non Est! --

        by Eddie Foirbeis Climo

        ‹(•¿~)›

      • Fred Dant
        Message 3 of 16 , Nov 4, 2006
          Hi Pete
          My name is Fred and I buy all my cotton cord from Marty Combs In the U.S.A.
          Check out his web sites.
          http://members.tripod.com/~knots/index-2.html<http://members.tripod.com/~knots/index-2.html>
          www.angelfire.com/ak/skateworld/index.html<http://www.angelfire.com/ak/skateworld/index.html>
          roundturn@...<mailto:roundturn@...>
          Hope he can help you
          Fred

          Message 4 of 16 , Nov 6, 2006
            If you're interested and if someone can provide a better description
            of the cords he mentions (I don't have ready access to those books
            mentioned), 25m is within what I'm currently capable of making by
            hand. if cotton is ok, I'll even do it for free. Also, I might have
            enough natural linen left for 25m if that natural linen light brown is
            ok.

            That said I guess it's time to let the proverbial cat out of the bag.
            anyone interested in Belfast Cord may have already heard some talk
            about this.

            I say that I'll do it for free because I am in need of some tangible
            evidence that there is any sort of market for the kind of specialty
            cord that I'm interested in making. I have already made some much
            smaller cord for another member of this group which was found to be
            quite satisfactory. He may choose to join in this conversation but I
            won't give the name until he does. My wife simply thinks this
            interest is an obsession. I might be able to convince my landlord to
            allow me to use a longer run (out to about 90m) if I can show that
            there is a real interest in such a product.

            If you or anyone else in this group are interested, send me a private
            email and we can discuss it further and perhaps exchange addresses so
            that I can get an tangible, written expression of interest and also an
            address where the cord can be mailed.

            On Wed, 1 Nov 2006 17:36:41 +0000 (GMT), you wrote:

            >My name is Pete and I live in West Sussex, UK. I have
            >a project that I hope someone might be able to help
            >with. I am building a 3 wheel Morganesque type car
            >called a Pembleton Grasshopper that uses Citroen 2CV
            >donor parts. I have a single spoke steering wheel that
            >I hope to adapt by binding the circumference with cord
            >as often a lot of period racers were. I have checked
            >out two chandlers so far but have only found synthetic
            >ropes and cordage there. Hardware stores can only
            >muster parcel string or sash cord and the local
            >haberdashers just gave me a strange look!! I am
            >looking for something around 5mm. diameter and would
            >need about 25m. The only book I have (so far!) on
            >knots and knot tying is G. Budworths book The Complete
            >guide to Knots and Knot Tying. On p.27 there seems to
            >be the kind of cordage I'm trying to find or even
            >better, the cord used for the Double Pile Hitch
            >demonstrated on p.103. or the Good Luck Knot on p.142.
            >Sorry for such a long ramble but if someone could
            >point me to a source of natural cordage, I would be
            >very much obliged. Best regards, Pete.

          • SKIP HIPPS
            Message 5 of 16 , Nov 6, 2006
              Do I understand that you can make something close to Belfast cord? After seeing a sample, and finding it worthy, I will gladly order 5,000 Feet

              Thank you,
              Skip Hipps,

              THE KNOTWRIGHT

              Message 6 of 16 , Nov 7, 2006
                On Mon, 6 Nov 2006 10:39:53 -0700, you wrote:

                >Do I understand that you can make something close to Belfast cord? After seeing a sample, and finding it worthy, I will gladly order 5,000 Feet

                from what i've been told, the cord is pretty close. im willing to
                send out a sample if I have an address.

                Well, thanks for the vote of confidence, but im not yet able to make a
                continuous cord. at the present im limited to 100' runs. I'll be
                back to 100yd runs if I can get the landlord to allow the longer run.
                I am working on creating a machine that would generate a continuous
                cord, but im still short on funds required for materials to actually
                build it.

                any expression of interest in this cord is appreciated because it will
                help me in getting support for expanding the operation.

              • Lindsey Philpott
                Message 7 of 16 , Nov 7, 2006
                  Hi Trevor

                  I tried to send a PM but the server rejected it - something about a virus in my message - anyhoo - I would like to get about a dozen balls of the cord - can you send a sample to me? My address is 3646 Gaviota Ave, Long Beach, CA, 90807

                  Thanks!
                  Lindsey

                  Lindsey
                  Board Member IGKTPAB

                • SKIP HIPPS
                  Message 8 of 16 , Nov 7, 2006
                    Aloha Trevor,

                    Length isn't that important as I seldom use anything much over 30 feet, with 20 feet being the norm. Besides, any knotter worth his or her salt could always splice two or more pieces together if a really long piece is needed.

                    My address is: Skip Hipps
                    5405 Kawaihau Road, Apt 1, Kapa'a, Hawaii 96746

                    BTW, is your line waxed and/or polished? and what is it made from, cotton, linen, or a combination of both. And finally, what are you going to be charging for this cord? In one sense, if it is VERY close to real Belfast, it won't matter much. I have a project that I've had on the back burner since 1971, waiting on me to find some more Belfast. On the other hand, I use on average about 20,000 feet of cordage a year. 99% of that has been nylon, but If I had a source for Belfast, and I would switch in a heart beat!! My fingers have only had the privilege of using it one time. Ah, the memories.

                    Skip Hipps
                    The Knotwright

                    On Mon, 6 Nov 2006 10:39:53 -0700, you wrote:

                    >Do I understand that you can make something close to Belfast cord? After seeing a sample, and finding it worthy, I will gladly order 5,000 Feet

                    from what i've been told, the cord is pretty close. im willing to
                    send out a sample if I have an address.

                    Well, thanks for the vote of confidence, but im not yet able to make a
                    continuous cord. at the present im limited to 100' runs. I'll be
                    back to 100yd runs if I can get the landlord to allow the longer run.
                    I am working on creating a machine that would generate a continuous
                    cord, but im still short on funds required for materials to actually
                    build it.

                    any expression of interest in this cord is appreciated because it will
                    help me in getting support for expanding the operation.

                    >Thank you,
                    >Skip Hipps,
                    >

                    >THE KNOTWRIGHT

                  • Trevor Tutt
                    Message 9 of 16 , Nov 8, 2006
                      On Tue, 7 Nov 2006 18:22:23 -0700, you wrote:

                      >Aloha Trevor,
                      >
                      >Length isn't that important as I seldom use anything much over 30 feet, with 20 feet being the norm. Besides, any knotter worth his or her salt could always splice two or more pieces together if a really long piece is needed.
                      >
                      > My address is: Skip Hipps
                      >5405 Kawaihau Road, Apt 1, Kapa'a, Hawaii 96746

                      good news and bad news.

                      the bad news is that you just gave out your address to basically the
                      whole world.

                      the good news is that, being in hawaii you have greatly reduced your
                      chances of anyone actually being able to use it for anything. ;)

                      >BTW, is your line waxed and/or polished? and what is it made from, cotton, linen, or a combination of both.

                      no wax, but it is polished or sized. right now its made of cotton,
                      but im going to try and make a similar quality from some linen yarn I
                      have. being a different material, its going to take some
                      experimentation to get right.

                      >And finally, what are you going to be charging for this cord? In one sense, if it is VERY close to real Belfast, it won't matter much. I have a project that I've had on the back burner since 1971, waiting on me to find some more Belfast. On the other hand, I use on average about 20,000 feet of cordage a year. 99% of that has been nylon, but If I had a source for Belfast, and I would switch in a heart beat!! My fingers have only had the privilege of using it one time. Ah, the memories.

                      im not certain that we should be even talking this far on this group.
                      I think there are rules prohibiting this in some way. I can't
                      remember without finding them and reading them again.
                      I wanted to keep inquiries on private email for that reason.
                      I'd hate to get myself banned from the group by breaking some rules
                      that I could have avoided breaking.

                      i'll send you an email.

                      Message 10 of 16 , Nov 8, 2006
                        --- In knottyers@yahoogroups.com, Trevor Tutt <ttutt@...> wrote:

                        > On Tue, 7 Nov 2006 18:22:23 -0700, you wrote:
                        >

                        > im not certain that we should be even talking this far on this group.
                        > I think there are rules prohibiting this in some way. I can't
                        > remember without finding them and reading them again.
                        > I wanted to keep inquiries on private email for that reason.
                        > I'd hate to get myself banned from the group by breaking some rules
                        > that I could have avoided breaking.
                        >
                        > i'll send you an email.

                        All,

                        As owner / moderator of this group, I find this topic on target. I
                        don't think the discussions so far constitute 'Spamming'. We're a
                        small group with members who care what goes on here. And by keeping
                        tight control on membership approval, and the first couple of on topic
                        posts I've been able to keep the Spammers at bay. So I won't ban
                        members from exchanging information about this, or other topics like
                        this as long as they relate to a final knotting product. That said --
                        it would be nice to see some finished work done with this cord in the
                        photo album so that others could see its properties. I don't what to
                        see the group actually used as a buy and sell zone. But anyone
                        starting a business needs to know if there is a demand for the
                        product, and this is a perfect place to find out that information.

                        I think that this topic is every knottyers' secondary concern -- where
                        to get supplies, cord, tools, ... It is the second most asked
                        question. Where do I get cord, where did you find that, I'd like to
                        have some of that ...

                        What we're talking about here is the finished product, material, cost,
                        cord diameter, lengths, & hardness. Not the actual mechanics of how
                        it is produced. And if we can help a member get a sense of how he can
                        supply us product -- that many of us would be extremely interested in
                        obtaining. If we help a fellow knottyer start a business that we
                        support by our orders, and he turns out a product that we all would
                        like to have, that meets our needs, that is produced by one of us. It
                        stands to rights that our knot tying will be enhanced.

                        And if the tyers that receive samples have good constructive comments,
                        then I'm sure that we'd all like to hear about them as well.

                        There is Ropemakers Yahoo group in which to discuss the actual
                        mechanics of rope production. And as a member of that group (which I
                        urge every knot tyer to join) I'm interested in the mechanics, but in
                        that group where it will be on topic.

                        I've created a Belfast Orders 'Table' under the Database option of
                        this group in which members can 'tally' up what they would be willing
                        to buy, with out clogging up the message board with actual orders.
                        I'll leave it up for a while to see what interest it generates.

                        Ed
                      • SKIP HIPPS
                        Message 11 of 16 , Nov 8, 2006
                          Ed,

                          Thank you very much for this site! I never knew who ran it, or even who started it, but I love being able to hear the problems of fellow knotters.

                          Over the years, I've been teased with the promise of real Belfast cord, only to find something that doesn't even come close to the real thing. If this guy has the spunk to start making it again, I think we all should support his efforts. Just to let you know, I told him that I would take 5000 feet, so add me to your list of people sitting here with our tongues hanging out, waiting to see if it is really true.

                          I spent 10 years in the Navy, and have seen a lot of work done with Belfast. I had the pleasure of making a boson lanyard for my USN Retired Uncle from Belfast, and used the leftovers to tie the "Display Knots" for a knot board/picture frame, only to find that the Navy Exchange didn't carry it anymore. Those knots are still sitting here in the to do box. It would seem to me that with all the knotters out here, someone could find a Person or Company to make ,"The Holy Grail of Line", again today.

                          As for seeing something made from Trevor's line, let me get the line, give me a week, and you shall save pictures, pictures, pictures.

                          Skip Hipps

                          THE KNOTWRIGHT

                          Message 12 of 16 , Nov 9, 2006
                            Skip,

                            I've made the table editable by any member of this group, that way
                            you control your information.

                            Looking forward to the pictures!

                            Ed

                            --- In knottyers@yahoogroups.com, "SKIP HIPPS" <KNOTWRIGHT@...>

                            Tutt <ttutt@> wrote:

> [...]
                            > stands to rights that our knot tying will be enhanced.
                            >
                            > And if the tyers that receive samples have good constructive
                            comments,
                            > then I'm sure that we'd all like to hear about them as well.
                            >
                            > There is Ropemakers Yahoo group in which to discuss the actual
                            > mechanics of rope production. And as a member of that group
                            (which I
                            > urge every knot tyer to join) I'm interested in the mechanics,
                            but in
                            > that group where it will be on topic.
                            >
                            > I've created a Belfast Orders 'Table' under the Database option
                            of
                            > this group in which members can 'tally' up what they would be
                            willing
                            > to buy, with out clogging up the message board with actual
                            orders.
                            > I'll leave it up for a while to see what interest it generates.

                          • Vince Brennan
                            Message 13 of 16 , Nov 9, 2006
                              Ed, let me echo Skip's thanks for maintaining the site for us
                              wierdos... I was absolutely delighted to find I wasn't the only
                              oddball who liked destroying my hands tying 'fiddly wee bumps" in
                              cordages! The suppliers list is an excellent idea!

                              Wanna put my 2 cents in here about Trevor's line: Trevor has been
                              corresponding with me for some time about producing a Belfast Cord
                              substitute and the last sample he sent me was really starting to get
                              close to the subject.

                              We are NEVER going to be able to get true Dreadnaught (Belfast) cord
                              again as it was mass-produced by P.C. Herwig who either made it or
                              bought it in carload lots... when you have that much of a production
                              demand, you can pretty much specify exactly what you'd want from a
                              manufacturer, so Dreadnaught came out highly sized and starched,
                              polished and hard and in at least six colours so as to produce (in
                              their words) "an almost bead-like appearance in half-hitching work"
                              and the fine detail sennits and braids that Skip and I (and I'm sure
                              at least one or two other of you ex-canoe-club-members)remember so well.

                              If you'd like more information on Herwig and Dreadnaught (Belfast)
                              cord, see http://www.frayedknotarts.com/knots/belfast.html. There's an
                              old catalogue for Herwig's stuff linked to the page as well - click on
                              the Dreadnaught Cord link... interesting reading and a size chart at
                              the end of the page!

                              Trevor's line (or at least the last sample he sent) was somewhat
                              larger and considerably softer than that, but it was approaching the
                              size and the the lay was consistant and tight, so I'd have no problem
                              whatsoever in recommending it for fancywork, especially as it sounds
                              as though he's made improvements in it since then.

                              Indeed, I'd like to laud Trevor for having taken up the challenge in
                              the first place: wading thru the vicissitudes of landlords, Texas dust
                              and pets to even have gotten into producing this stuff... You're A
                              Better Man Than I Am, Trevor Tutt!

                              Vince in Philly
                            • Hugo
                              Message 14 of 16 , Nov 9, 2006
                                for the link below to work it must have the period removed,
                                eventhough it was correct in terms of the sentence.

                                http://www.frayedknotarts.com/knots/belfast.html

                                hugo

                                --- In knottyers@yahoogroups.com, "Vince Brennan" <artisan@...> wrote:

                                > Ed, let me echo Skip's thanks for maintaining the site for us
                                > wierdos... I was absolutely delighted to find I wasn't the only
                                > oddball who liked destroying my hands tying 'fiddly wee bumps" in
                                > cordages! The suppliers list is an excellent idea!
                                >
                                > Wanna put my 2 cents in here about Trevor's line: Trevor has been
                                > corresponding with me for some time about producing a Belfast Cord
                                > substitute and the last sample he sent me was really starting to get
                                > close to the subject.
                                >
                                > We are NEVER going to be able to get true Dreadnaught (Belfast) cord
                                > again as it was mass-produced by P.C. Herwig who either made it or
                                > bought it in carload lots... when you have that much of a production
                                > demand, you can pretty much specify exactly what you'd want from a
                                > manufacturer, so Dreadnaught came out highly sized and starched,
                                > polished and hard and in at least six colours so as to produce (in
                                > their words) "an almost bead-like appearance in half-hitching work"
                                > and the fine detail sennits and braids that Skip and I (and I'm sure
                                > at least one or two other of you ex-canoe-club-members)remember so
                                well.

                                > If you'd like more information on Herwig and Dreadnaught (Belfast)
                                > cord, see http://www.frayedknotarts.com/knots/belfast.html. There's
                                an
                                > old catalogue for Herwig's stuff linked to the page as well - click
                                on
                                > the Dreadnaught Cord link... interesting reading and a size chart at
                                > the end of the page!
                                >
                                > Trevor's line (or at least the last sample he sent) was somewhat
                                > larger and considerably softer than that, but it was approaching the
                                > size and the the lay was consistant and tight, so I'd have no
                                problem
                                > whatsoever in recommending it for fancywork, especially as it sounds
                                > as though he's made improvements in it since then.
                                >
                                > Indeed, I'd like to laud Trevor for having taken up the challenge in
                                > the first place: wading thru the vicissitudes of landlords, Texas
                                dust
                                > and pets to even have gotten into producing this stuff... You're A
                                > Better Man Than I Am, Trevor Tutt!
                                >
                                > Vince in Philly

                              • Vince Brennan
                                Message 15 of 16 , Nov 9, 2006
                                  oops!

                                  --- In knottyers@yahoogroups.com, "Hugo" <dggoll1@...> wrote:

                                  > for the link below to work it must have the period removed,
                                  > eventhough it was correct in terms of the sentence.
                                  >
                                  > http://www.frayedknotarts.com/knots/belfast.html
                                  >
                                  > hugo

                                • Eddie Climo
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Nov 10, 2006
                                    The recent discussion of Belfast Cord reminded me of a link I was given (on the RopeMaking group,
                                    I think). 'Warships to Workboats' focusses on model ship-builders, and they offer lots of
                                    practical, illustrated advice on all sorts of techniques. You can download lots of back issues of
                                    their magazine from their archives for free:

                                    http://modelshipwrights.wikispaces.com/W2W_Archives

                                    In Vol 3.1 Spring 2005 (pp.6-9), there's an article entitle 'Building a Ropewalk' by Phil
                                    Kroleach. This shows you how to build and operate a Mini Ropewalk to make miniature rope for your
                                    model ships. The whole apparatus is powered by a small, reversible electric motor, to save you
                                    having to crank it manually. The article is well illustrated, and seems clear and detailed enough
                                    that it should be fairly straighforward to follow the instructions.

                                    The whole gizmo is small enough to fit in your garage or yard, and the samples of mini-rope that
                                    his photos show look very nice indeed. Now I doubt me that you're going to end up with a DIY copy
                                    of the late & lamented Belfast Cord of Blessed Memory, but I fancy you could produce some usable
                                    small stuff.

                                    I really must get round to making one of these suckers for myself!

                                    Eddie Climo