Re: Initial Guidance Needed

  • Patrick
    Message 1 of 17 , Jul 8, 2006
      Thanks so much to everyone for all the great advice. I've looked at
      a lot of the books recommended already. ABOK seems like a great
      reference, but as has been pointed out, also seems to be a
      bit "heavy" to actually learn and expand to an intermediate level.
      I'm sure I'll be getting this one some day, that day just probably
      isn't today.

      I've done a fair amount of surfing around old posts and everything
      else I can find. It seems to me the most important tools to start
      out with are a marlinespike and some of the perm-a-lok needles
      everone is so keen on. Is there anything else needed for a starter
      kit? Besides a quality knife of course.

      To answer all the questions about location. I'm actually from
      Seattle, WA and learned a lot of the knots I know with my father on
      his sail boat when I was a child before he had to give it up. I am
      now in the Army and live in Germany while I'm not deployed to
      beautiful Mesopotamia like I am now.

      Thanks again for all the advice, I look forward to continuing to
      learn from all of you.

      Pat
    • Lindsey Philpott
      Message 2 of 17 , Jul 8, 2006
        Hi Pat,

        If you cannot get the perma-lok needles then at least (or anyway) get some drafting tape. It is very useful as a temporary whipping and helps to guide fine cords through any of the more complex knots, while keeping things together. Also, it helps by taping down the cords to a pattern instead of T-pins, although T-pins are my favorite tool when using flat patterns.

        Lindsey

        Patrick <pmhenrich@...> wrote:
[...]

        Board Member IGKTPAB

      • Vince Brennan
        Message 3 of 17 , Jul 8, 2006
          Yet another tip on this: I buy cyanoacrylate in large bottles (2oz)
          on Ebay, half-dozen at a time.... I use this to coat the ends of
          whatever I'm working on.... a small dab will keep line from unlaying
          when doing square-knot work (as the ends are pulled through over and
          over again) and I find that coating an inch or two of the working end
          is just as useful (if not moreso) than the permalock needles when
          using small (#9 through #21) cotton line for doing turksheads and the
          like. Just be sure you have a piece of old rug or something under you
          to catch the inevitable drips. I use cheap rag-rug runners from the
          dollar-stores and toss em after a month or so.

          Since I don't use nylon, I can't speak as to the glue's efficacy on
          that material, but I suspect it would take a few hours of curing time.
          The cotton cures up in about ten-fifteen seconds and, after clipping
          the end oblique with a pair of snips to get a point, you're more than
          good-to-go. (You don't lose permaloks, either.)

          Lindsey Philpott <pilgrimsailor@...> wrote:

          > Hi Pat,
          >
          > If you cannot get the perma-lok needles then at least (or anyway)
          get some drafting tape. It is very useful as a temporary whipping and
          helps to guide fine cords through any of the more complex knots, while
          keeping things together. Also, it helps by taping down the cords to a
          pattern instead of T-pins, although T-pins are my favorite tool when
          using flat patterns.

          > Lindsey
          >
          > Patrick <pmhenrich@...> wrote:
          > Thanks so much to everyone for all the great advice. I've
          looked at
          > a lot of the books recommended already. ABOK seems like a great
          > reference, but as has been pointed out, also seems to be a
          > bit "heavy" to actually learn and expand to an intermediate level.
          > I'm sure I'll be getting this one some day, that day just probably
          > isn't today.
          >
          > I've done a fair amount of surfing around old posts and everything
          > else I can find. It seems to me the most important tools to start
          > out with are a marlinespike and some of the perm-a-lok needles
          > everone is so keen on. Is there anything else needed for a starter
          > kit? Besides a quality knife of course.
          >
          > To answer all the questions about location. I'm actually from
          > Seattle, WA and learned a lot of the knots I know with my father on
          > his sail boat when I was a child before he had to give it up. I am
          > now in the Army and live in Germany while I'm not deployed to
          > beautiful Mesopotamia like I am now.
          >
          > Thanks again for all the advice, I look forward to continuing to
          > learn from all of you.
          >
          > Pat
          >

          > Lindsey
          > Board Member IGKTPAB

        • Eddie Climo
          Message 4 of 17 , Jul 9, 2006
            Hi Vince,
            That use of cyanoacrylate looks like such a useful tip that [I hope this is OK with you?] I've
            included it in the relevant introductory chapter of the Turk's Head book I'm writing, and given
            your name with a wee 'thank you'. I've attached a few pages (as an Acrobat PDF file, so you can
            see what I've written; it's halfway down p. 24. And, in case you're interested, the photo of the
            hollow fids that I devised (p.23) has enough resolution that you can zoom in and read the
            description of how they're made.

            I've also mentioned your web site in the Bibliography, where it says:
            ... ...
            Frayed Knot Arts—knotwork by Vince Brennan
            http://www.frayedknotarts.com/index.html
            Free tutorials, a Library of other people’s fancy knotwork, and detailed photos of work for sale
            (belts, musical instrument straps, lanyards, ships’ wheels covered, buttons, finger- and
            ear-rings, needle cases).
            ... ...
            Is that OK with you, or would you like the wording changed?

            Finally, the book has a Gallery chapter, featuring a few Turk's Heads, Pineapple Knots or other
            woven knots tied by a dozen or so different knotters, along with a brief bio and the address of
            any sites or online photo albums they have. This is to give the readers a sample of some of the
            best things people are tying these days; it's not so much a question of how advanced the knots are
            (although some are real humdingers!) but how well they're tied.

            Now, here's the question: would you be willing to send me a few photos for inclusion in this
            Gallery? I'd be after a few items which you're fond of yourself, perhaps some unusual woven knots,
            or one of those ship's wheels you do, even a square-knotted belt for a bit of variety. Let me know
            your views, eh?

            By the way, I've been having lots of fun with the big Graumont book you sent me, and it's given me
            some good insights for my own writing. I recently got a copy of his smaller 'Handbook of Knots' on
            eBay, and that's pretty good too.

            Take care, amigo,

            Eddie

            --- Vince Brennan <music@...> wrote:

            > Yet another tip on this: I buy cyanoacrylate in large bottles (2oz)
            > on Ebay, half-dozen at a time.... I use this to coat the ends of
            > whatever I'm working on.... a small dab will keep line from unlaying
            > when doing square-knot work (as the ends are pulled through over and
            > over again) and I find that coating an inch or two of the working end
            > is just as useful (if not moreso) than the permalock needles when
            > using small (#9 through #21) cotton line for doing turksheads and the
            > like. Just be sure you have a piece of old rug or something under you
            > to catch the inevitable drips. I use cheap rag-rug runners from the
            > dollar-stores and toss em after a month or so.
            >
            > Since I don't use nylon, I can't speak as to the glue's efficacy on
            > that material, but I suspect it would take a few hours of curing time.
            > The cotton cures up in about ten-fifteen seconds and, after clipping
            > the end oblique with a pair of snips to get a point, you're more than
            > good-to-go. (You don't lose permaloks, either.

            Eddie Climo
            eddie_climo@...

          • Vince Brennan
            Message 5 of 17 , Jul 10, 2006
              Well, first of all, thanks for the inclusion... quite chuffed over
              that, I am!

              As to pictures, I'd be glad to contribute whatever you'd like, so
              look thru the site and see if anything appeals to you in particular.
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

              A further tip on the cyanoacrylate:

              PLEASE don't (and don't laugh, but I've bloody done this!) do this in
              a small, closed room or directly under your face so the fumes hit your
              nose or eyes! It's awful stuff if you breathe it in and WILL damage
              your lungs - and on not too much exposure, neither!

              Also, most CA bottles you get on Ebay or elsewhere will have an
              applicator tip attached made of Teflon or some such slippery
              polymer... USE it. It will keep you from over-wetting the work and
              having drips come off the ends (that's why the rug under your
              work....saves the floor and your domestic harmony) and also makes the
              stuff go farther. I run through six bottles every two months or so.

              I did a few tests on some nylon cord I have.... it uniformly does not
              want to set up very quickly on nylon for some reason and is only
              slightly faster on a dacron line.... cotton/dacron is faster yet, but
              the minimum time seems to be ten to fifteen minutes for a hard set,
              where cotton lines (like those supplied by Marty Combs) will set up
              hard and ready for trimming within thirty seconds at most. It also
              sets quickly on the CARDOC builder's cotton cord available in Blighty.

              You absolutely want to get a bottle of "de-bonder" as well, for use in
              emergency situations. (Sneezing is not recommended while using CA and
              the de-bonder got the denims off a certain portion of my anatomy,
              albeit with (ahem) some discomfort.

              Sorry if I seem to be banging on about this, but it is SUCH a
              time-saver when doing small turksheads and other fancywork that I've
              completely stopped using hollow fids and permalock needles and only
              need the pricker to provide clearance for the sharp end of the line to
              penetrate the work...
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              Since you mentioned Graumont, here's another tip: The entire
              contents of PC Herwig's Vol 1,2 & 3 seem to be contained therein, so
              unless you're a completist and just want the actual pamphlets for your
              collection, you can kill two sturds with one bone by getting a copy
              of The Encyclopaedia of Knots and Fancy Ropework. Just be sure to
              check over the index section: the copy I sent you (as you know) was
              missing eight pages and that can be a real handicap when looking for a
              specific item.
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

              --- In knottyers@yahoogroups.com, Eddie Climo <eddie_climo@...> wrote:

              > Hi Vince,
              > That use of cyanoacrylate looks like such a useful tip that [I hope
              this is OK with you?] I've
              > included it in the relevant introductory chapter of the Turk's Head
              book I'm writing, and given
              > your name with a wee 'thank you'. I've attached a few pages (as an
              Acrobat PDF file, so you can
              > see what I've written; it's halfway down p. 24. And, in case you're
              interested, the photo of the
              > hollow fids that I devised (p.23) has enough resolution that you can
              zoom in and read the
              > description of how they're made.
              >
              > I've also mentioned your web site in the Bibliography, where it says:
              > ... ...
              > Frayed Knot Arts—knotwork by Vince Brennan
              > http://www.frayedknotarts.com/index.html
              > Free tutorials, a Library of other people's fancy knotwork, and
              detailed photos of work for sale
              > (belts, musical instrument straps, lanyards, ships' wheels
              covered, buttons, finger- and
              > ear-rings, needle cases).
              > ... ...
              > Is that OK with you, or would you like the wording changed?
              >
              > Finally, the book has a Gallery chapter, featuring a few Turk's
              Heads, Pineapple Knots or other
              > woven knots tied by a dozen or so different knotters, along with a
              brief bio and the address of
              > any sites or online photo albums they have. This is to give the
              readers a sample of some of the
              > best things people are tying these days; it's not so much a question
              of how advanced the knots are
              > (although some are real humdingers!) but how well they're tied.
              >
              > Now, here's the question: would you be willing to send me a few
              photos for inclusion in this
              > Gallery? I'd be after a few items which you're fond of yourself,
              perhaps some unusual woven knots,
              > or one of those ship's wheels you do, even a square-knotted belt for
              a bit of variety. Let me know
              > your views, eh?
              >
              > By the way, I've been having lots of fun with the big Graumont book
              you sent me, and it's given me
              > some good insights for my own writing. I recently got a copy of his
              smaller 'Handbook of Knots' on
              > eBay, and that's pretty good too.
              >
              > Take care, amigo,
              >
              > Eddie
            • Fred Dant
              Message 6 of 17 , Jul 11, 2006
                Vince
                I,ve never tried cyanoacrylate.
                But after all of this I will have to give it a try. Where is the best site to get it from?
                Fred Dant
> [...]

                brief bio and the address of
                > any sites or online photo albums they have. This is to give the
                readers a sample of some of the
                > best things people are tying these days; it's not so much a question
                of how advanced the knots are
                > (although some are real humdingers!) but how well they're tied.
                >
                > Now, here's the question: would you be willing to send me a few
                photos for inclusion in this
                > Gallery? I'd be after a few items which you're fond of yourself,
                perhaps some unusual woven knots,
                > or one of those ship's wheels you do, even a square-knotted belt for
                a bit of variety. Let me know
                > your views, eh?
                >
                > By the way, I've been having lots of fun with the big Graumont book
                you sent me, and it's given me
                > some good insights for my own writing. I recently got a copy of his

              • André
                Message 7 of 17 , Jul 11, 2006
                  Hi Eddie,

                  Please keep in mind that this cuanoacrylate can be very dangerous to
                  the eyes and skin. this kind of glue is also known under the name of
                  "10 seconds glue" . You can really glue your fingers together with it
                  and separating them will be a real pain (literaly). I think a serious
                  warning about it's use is in place here.

                  take care
                  André

                • Vince Brennan
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jul 11, 2006
                    Well spoken, Andre! Again, the cyanoacrylate IS a nasty substance and
                    can do you lasting physical harm if misused or used with inattention,
                    so be careful, don't breath in the fumes and get some debonder for
                    those glued-together fingers.

                    Now I think we've banged this one to death, so on to the next pressing
                    subject? (Ironing?)

                    I'm in the process of adding another tutorial page to the square-knot
                    belts section of the website and it should be up by 0300Z or so... all
                    the pics are done and sized, the only thing left is to write the prose
                    and stick it on-line. This one is on making a ten-diamond feature in
                    a large square-knot feild. Hope you all can enjoy it.

                    http://www.frayedknotarts.com/how2belt.html should be the last page
                    on the list. Gimme a few hours and it'll be up.

                    --- In knottyers@yahoogroups.com, André <salmaj@...> wrote:

> [...]
                    > > > is just as useful (if not moreso) than the permalock needles when
                    > > > using small (#9 through #21) cotton line for doing turksheads and
                    > the
                    > > > like. Just be sure you have a piece of old rug or something under
                    > you
                    > > > to catch the inevitable drips. I use cheap rag-rug runners from
                    > the
                    > > > dollar-stores and toss em after a month or so.
                    > > >
                    > > > Since I don't use nylon, I can't speak as to the glue's efficacy
                    > on
                    > > > that material, but I suspect it would take a few hours of curing
                    > time.
                    > > > The cotton cures up in about ten-fifteen seconds and, after
                    > clipping
                    > > > the end oblique with a pair of snips to get a point, you're more
                    > than
                    > > > good-to-go. (You don't lose permaloks, either.

                  • Seema
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jul 11, 2006
                      the web link is amazing - thanks

                      great job

> [...]

                      > > > is just as useful (if not moreso) than the permalock needles when
                      > > > using small (#9 through #21) cotton line for doing turksheads and
                      > the
                      > > > like. Just be sure you have a piece of old rug or something under
                      > you
                      > > > to catch the inevitable drips. I use cheap rag-rug runners from
                      > the
                      > > > dollar-stores and toss em after a month or so.
                      > > >
                      > > > Since I don't use nylon, I can't speak as to the glue's efficacy
                      > on
                      > > > that material, but I suspect it would take a few hours of curing
                      > time.
                      > > > The cotton cures up in about ten-fifteen seconds and, after
                      > clipping
                      > > > the end oblique with a pair of snips to get a point, you're more
                      > than
                      > > > good-to-go. (You don't lose permaloks, either.

                    • Steve
                      Message 10 of 17 , Jul 12, 2006
                        Cyanoacrylate is nothing more than what is commonly marketed as "super
                        glue". There are a number of brands widely distributed and available at
                        hardware, "big box" stores, hobby, and even large grocery stores. Bottles
                        are usually small, containing less than 1 oz.

                        All formulations I've seen are a form of liquid or gel. Only a little dab
                        is ever needed.

                        But, as mentioned, this glue seems to know no bounds. It will glue your
                        fingers together in seconds, requiring a special solvent to separate or a
                        knife to part your flesh! Beware!

                        Steve

                      • arthur elwell
                        Message 11 of 17 , Jul 17, 2006
                          We are not finished beating this dead horse, yet.

                          A trick used when gluing ceramics with super-glue is to wet one side. The water acts as a catalyst to speed up the chemical set-up. I use it with nylon and it does a really good job.

                          Art

                          Steve <shlawrence@...> wrote: Cyanoacrylate is nothing more than what is commonly marketed as "super
                          glue". There are a number of brands widely distributed and available at
                          hardware, "big box" stores, hobby, and even large grocery stores. Bottles
                          are usually small, containing less than 1 oz.

                          All formulations I've seen are a form of liquid or gel. Only a little dab
                          is ever needed.

                          But, as mentioned, this glue seems to know no bounds. It will glue your
                          fingers together in seconds, requiring a special solvent to separate or a
                          knife to part your flesh! Beware!

                          Steve

                          Art Elwell, Knotical Engineer
                          Greendell, NJ 07839-0113