Re: [KnotTyers] Some Recent Stuff (I hope)

  • LoopyLacer@aol.com
    Message 1 of 24 , May 18, 2006
      In a message dated 5/18/2006 4:42:37 PM Pacific Standard Time,
      wulflyng@... writes:

      _http://ca.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/wulflyng/album?.dir=8312_
      (http://ca.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/wulflyng/album?.dir=8312)

      Very nice, Gerald (my brother's name, btw <g>).

      I especially like the Cat's Eye. The variegated rattail you used makes it
      especially eye-catching (pun intended, <sorry>). : - )

      Do you by any chance remember what size rattail/marble/key ring you used?
      You will forgive if I pay you the "sincerest form of flattery" (imitation)
      won't you? I'm sure our scouts will enjoy making these, too. Hmmm...wonder how
      it would look made out of the transparent rexlace (boondoggle/scoubidou).
      Oh, the wheels are turning now...don't you just hate when that happens... ; -
      )

      Still trying to get caught up and add a bunch more photos to my albums,
      too...feeling better, tho. Thanx, everyone, for all the good wishes.

      Lily

      Happily entangled in my own knots!
      Lily Qualls Morales
      Yucaipa, California, USA
      Committee Member, BSA Troop 33
      California Inland Empire Council, _http://www.bsa-ciec.org_
      (http://www.bsa-ciec.org/)
      List Mom for _Tatting@yahoogroups.com_ (mailto:Tatting@yahoogroups.com)
      List "Auntie" for _Rings_N_Chains@yahoogroups.com_
      (mailto:Rings_N_Chains@yahoogroups.com)
      Mail to: _LoopyLacer@..._ (mailto:LoopyLacer@...)
      Website: _http://www.loopylacer.com_ (http://www.loopylacer.com/)
      Photo album: _http://photos.yahoo.com/LoopyLacer_
      (http://photos.yahoo.com/loopylacer)
      Exodus 35:35

    • André
      Message 2 of 24 , May 19, 2006
        Hello all,

        That cat's eye is indeed an "eye catching" ornament as Lily already
        stated. I would say that these cat's eyes will make wonderful pendants
        for necklaces too.

        take care
        André

        --- In knottyers@yahoogroups.com, LoopyLacer@... wrote:

        > In a message dated 5/18/2006 4:42:37 PM Pacific Standard Time,
        > wulflyng@... writes:
        >
        > _http://ca.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/wulflyng/album?.dir=8312_
        > (http://ca.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/wulflyng/album?.dir=8312)
        >

        > Very nice, Gerald (my brother's name, btw <g>).
        >
        > I especially like the Cat's Eye. The variegated rattail you used
        makes it
        > especially eye-catching (pun intended, <sorry>). : - )
        >
        > Do you by any chance remember what size rattail/marble/key ring you
        used?
        > You will forgive if I pay you the "sincerest form of flattery"
        (imitation)
        > won't you? I'm sure our scouts will enjoy making these, too.
        Hmmm...wonder how
        > it would look made out of the transparent rexlace (boondoggle/
        scoubidou).
        > Oh, the wheels are turning now...don't you just hate when that
        happens... ; -
        > )
        >
        > Still trying to get caught up and add a bunch more photos to my
        albums,
        > too...feeling better, tho. Thanx, everyone, for all the good
        wishes.

        > Lily
        >
        > Happily entangled in my own knots!
        > Lily Qualls Morales
        > Yucaipa, California, USA
        > Committee Member, BSA Troop 33
        > California Inland Empire Council, _http://www.bsa-ciec.org_
        > (http://www.bsa-ciec.org/)
        > List Mom for _Tatting@yahoogroups.com_ (mailto:Tatting@yahoogroups.
        com)
        > List "Auntie" for _Rings_N_Chains@yahoogroups.com_
        > (mailto:Rings_N_Chains@yahoogroups.com)
        > Mail to: _LoopyLacer@..._ (mailto:LoopyLacer@...)
        > Website: _http://www.loopylacer.com_ (http://www.loopylacer.com/)
        > Photo album: _http://photos.yahoo.com/LoopyLacer_
        > (http://photos.yahoo.com/loopylacer)
        > Exodus 35:35

      • gerald diamond
        Message 3 of 24 , May 19, 2006
          --- LoopyLacer@... wrote:
          > Very nice, Gerald (my brother's name, btw <g>).
          tx

          > Do you by any chance remember what size
          > rattail/marble/key ring you used?

          i think it was 2 mm rattail
          the ring is about 7/8 inch (sorry for mixed units)
          and the marble is about 5/8

          > You will forgive if I pay you the "sincerest form of
          > flattery" (imitation)
          > won't you?

          I saw them at a Gilwell meeting originally
          (though the ones I saw were in string)
          so I can hardly complain

          I'm sure our scouts will enjoy making
          > these, too. Hmmm...wonder how
          > it would look made out of the transparent rexlace
          > (boondoggle/scoubidou).
          > Oh, the wheels are turning now...don't you just
          > hate when that happens... ; -

          good luck. post pictures please

          gerald
          54th london (ont) troop

          \ Gerald Diamond
          \ wulflyng@...
          \ Memories are not what the heart desires.
          \^. .^ - Gimli in "Lord of the Rings"

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • Herman evers
          Message 4 of 24 , May 20, 2006
            pendants for necklaces is what i make but call them draken eyes
            greeting Herman

            André <salmaj@...> wrote:
            Hello all,

            That cat's eye is indeed an "eye catching" ornament as Lily already
            stated. I would say that these cat's eyes will make wonderful pendants
            for necklaces too.

            take care
            André

            --- In knottyers@yahoogroups.com, LoopyLacer@... wrote:

            > In a message dated 5/18/2006 4:42:37 PM Pacific Standard Time,
            > wulflyng@... writes:
            >
            > _http://ca.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/wulflyng/album?.dir=8312_
            > (http://ca.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/wulflyng/album?.dir=8312)
            >

            > Very nice, Gerald (my brother's name, btw <g>).
            >
            > I especially like the Cat's Eye. The variegated rattail you used
            makes it
            > especially eye-catching (pun intended, <sorry>). : - )
            >
            > Do you by any chance remember what size rattail/marble/key ring you
            used?
            > You will forgive if I pay you the "sincerest form of flattery"
            (imitation)
            > won't you? I'm sure our scouts will enjoy making these, too.
            Hmmm...wonder how
            > it would look made out of the transparent rexlace (boondoggle/
            scoubidou).
            > Oh, the wheels are turning now...don't you just hate when that
            happens... ; -
            > )
            >
            > Still trying to get caught up and add a bunch more photos to my
            albums,
            > too...feeling better, tho. Thanx, everyone, for all the good
            wishes.

            > Lily
            >
            > Happily entangled in my own knots!
            > Lily Qualls Morales
            > Yucaipa, California, USA
            > Committee Member, BSA Troop 33
            > California Inland Empire Council, _http://www.bsa-ciec.org_
            > (http://www.bsa-ciec.org/)
            > List Mom for _Tatting@yahoogroups.com_ (mailto:Tatting@yahoogroups.
            com)
            > List "Auntie" for _Rings_N_Chains@yahoogroups.com_
            > (mailto:Rings_N_Chains@yahoogroups.com)
            > Mail to: _LoopyLacer@..._ (mailto:LoopyLacer@...)
            > Website: _http://www.loopylacer.com_ (http://www.loopylacer.com/)
            > Photo album: _http://photos.yahoo.com/LoopyLacer_
            > (http://photos.yahoo.com/loopylacer)
            > Exodus 35:35

            Craft hobby Hobby and craft supply Knot tying

          • gerald diamond
            Message 5 of 24 , May 20, 2006
              --- Herman evers <touwwerk@...> wrote:

              > pendants for necklaces is what i make but call them
              > draken eyes
              > greeting Herman

              "draken"?
              Like a dragon or like a male duck?
              ;-)

              \ Gerald Diamond
              \ wulflyng@...
              \ Memories are not what the heart desires.
              \^. .^ - Gimli in "Lord of the Rings"

              http://mail.yahoo.com
            • Eddie Climo
              Message 6 of 24 , May 21, 2006
                According to the Dictionary Widget on my computer's desktop, 'draken' is Dutch for 'dragon', but
                -alas!- it has no translation into Dutch for the English word 'drake'.
                Eddie.

                --- gerald diamond <wulflyng@...> wrote:

                ---------------------------------

                --- Herman evers <touwwerk@...> wrote:

                > pendants for necklaces is what i make but call them
                > draken eyes
                > greeting Herman

                "draken"?
                Like a dragon or like a male duck?
                ;-)

                \ Gerald Diamond
                \ wulflyng@...
                \ Memories are not what the heart desires.
                \^. .^ - Gimli in "Lord of the Rings"

                http://mail.yahoo.com

                Craft hobby
                Hobby and craft supply Knot tying

                Eddie Climo
                eddie_climo@...

              • Dann Johnson
                Message 7 of 24 , May 21, 2006
                  Herman & Eddie

                  The Dutch meaning of Draken makes more sense for a
                  name of that the English Pirate Sir Francis Drake: A
                  Dragon rather than Duck.

                  My wife's birthday gift was a silver rope pendant
                  neckless with a "tiger eye".

                  Maybe that is also known as a dragon eye?

                  Dann
                • gerald diamond
                  Message 8 of 24 , May 21, 2006
                    > The Dutch meaning of Draken makes more sense for a
                    > name of that the English Pirate Sir Francis Drake:
                    > Dragon rather than Duck.

                    yes, well I rather suspected as much

                    > My wife's birthday gift was a silver rope pendant
                    > neckless with a "tiger eye".

                    actual silver?

                    Message 9 of 24 , May 22, 2006
                      Dann, and the others

                      before i made rope i hunted dragons,...... (the reason that you don't see them any more must be clear).
                      i collected the eyes of those dragons,.... made pendant, necless from them.
                      you have water, land, forrest, mountain ect.... dragons (gold and silver dragons)
                      and sell those for the luck seekers, because (of course) they bring luck, don't forget to tell that they have to reload them in the full moon, to restore the luck bringing factor.
                      or made another nice story for little children i tell that the eyes come from a 7 headed dragon
                      they can miss a few eyes,....... and they normaly grow back on (i dont kill but catch the dragons)
                      made the story how to catch a dragon... different every time.
                      good luck and fun with those dragon eyes..... defently no ducks
                      ps. the eyes of sir Francis Drake must be special.......
                      greeting
                      Herman, dragon eye hunter.

                      Message 10 of 24 , May 22, 2006
                        Eddie,

                        drake is a small dragon (i think)
                        Herman

                        Eddie Climo <eddie_climo@...> wrote:
                        According to the Dictionary Widget on my computer's desktop, 'draken' is Dutch for 'dragon', but
                        -alas!- it has no translation into Dutch for the English word 'drake'.
                        Eddie.

                        --- gerald diamond <wulflyng@...> wrote:

                        ---------------------------------

                        --- Herman evers <touwwerk@...> wrote:

                        > pendants for necklaces is what i make but call them
                        > draken eyes
                        > greeting Herman

                        "draken"?
                        Like a dragon or like a male duck?
                        ;-)

                        \ Gerald Diamond
                        \ wulflyng@...
                        \ Memories are not what the heart desires.
                        \^. .^ - Gimli in "Lord of the Rings"

                        http://mail.yahoo.com

                        Craft hobby
                        Hobby and craft supply Knot tying

                        Eddie Climo
                        eddie_climo@...

                        Craft hobby Hobby and craft supply Knot tying

                      • Stuart Robinson
                        Message 11 of 24 , May 22, 2006
                          I think Haren is Dutch for Dragon.

                          Stuart

                          Herman evers wrote:
                          > Eddie,
                          >
                          > drake is a small dragon (i think)
                          > Herman
                          >
                          > Eddie Climo <eddie_climo@...> wrote:
                          > According to the Dictionary Widget on my computer's desktop,
                          > 'draken' is Dutch for 'dragon', but
                          > -alas!- it has no translation into Dutch for the English word 'drake'.
                          > Eddie.
                          >
                          > --- gerald diamond <wulflyng@...> wrote:
                          >

                          > ---------------------------------
                          >
                          > --- Herman evers <touwwerk@...> wrote:
                          >
                          > > pendants for necklaces is what i make but call them
                          > > draken eyes
                          > > greeting Herman
                          >
                          > "draken"?
                          > Like a dragon or like a male duck?
                          > ;-)
                          >
                          > \ Gerald Diamond
                          > \ wulflyng@...
                          > \ Memories are not what the heart desires.
                          > \^. .^ - Gimli in "Lord of the Rings"

                          > http://mail.yahoo.com

                          > Craft
                          > hobby
                          > Hobby and craft supply Knot
                          > tying

                          > ---------------------------------
                          >

                          > Eddie Climo
                          > eddie_climo@...

                          > http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com

                          > Craft hobby Hobby and craft supply Knot tying

                          > Craft hobby
                          > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Craft+hobby&w1=Craft+hobby&w2=Hobby+and+craft+supply&w3=Knot+tying&c=3&s=61&.sig=MQcFVO9j9ObU92UtvCFmZg>
                          > Hobby and craft supply
                          > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Hobby+and+craft+supply&w1=Craft+hobby&w2=Hobby+and+craft+supply&w3=Knot+tying&c=3&s=61&.sig=tv_ebQGX5-CBoLy4hnkBmQ>
                          > Knot tying
                          > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Knot+tying&w1=Craft+hobby&w2=Hobby+and+craft+supply&w3=Knot+tying&c=3&s=61&.sig=rbKtyq0r5PNrljKeC6UxOQ>

                        • André
                          Message 12 of 24 , May 22, 2006
                            hi,

                            haren is the plural form of haar, which means hair in Dutch.

                            So what do we have here.... a hairy dragon perhaps???

                            regards
                            Andre

                            --- In knottyers@yahoogroups.com, Stuart Robinson <restmengi@...>
                            wrote:

                            > I think Haren is Dutch for Dragon.
                            >
                            > Stuart
                            >
                            > Herman evers wrote:
                            > > Eddie,
                            > >
                            > > drake is a small dragon (i think)
                            > > Herman
                            > >
                            > > Eddie Climo <eddie_climo@...> wrote:
                            > > According to the Dictionary Widget on my computer's desktop,
                            > > 'draken' is Dutch for 'dragon', but
                            > > -alas!- it has no translation into Dutch for the English
                            word 'drake'.
                            > > Eddie.
                            > >
                            > > --- gerald diamond <wulflyng@...> wrote:
                            > >

                            > > ---------------------------------
                            > >
                            > > --- Herman evers <touwwerk@...> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > > pendants for necklaces is what i make but call them
                            > > > draken eyes
                            > > > greeting Herman
                            > >
                            > > "draken"?
                            > > Like a dragon or like a male duck?
                            > > ;-)
                            > >
                            > > \ Gerald Diamond
                            > > \ wulflyng@...
                            > > \ Memories are not what the heart desires.
                            > > \^. .^ - Gimli in "Lord of the Rings"

                            > > http://mail.yahoo.com

                            > > Craft
                            > > hobby
                            > > Hobby and craft supply Knot
                            > > tying

                            Service.

                            > > ---------------------------------
                            > >

                            > > Eddie Climo
                            > > eddie_climo@...

                            > > http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com

                            > > Craft hobby Hobby and craft supply Knot tying

                            Service.

                            > > Craft hobby
                            > > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                            t=ms&k=Craft+hobby&w1=Craft+hobby&w2=Hobby+and+craft+supply&w3=Knot+ty
                            ing&c=3&s=61&.sig=MQcFVO9j9ObU92UtvCFmZg>
                            > > Hobby and craft supply
                            > > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                            t=ms&k=Hobby+and+craft+supply&w1=Craft+hobby&w2=Hobby+and+craft+supply
                            &w3=Knot+tying&c=3&s=61&.sig=tv_ebQGX5-CBoLy4hnkBmQ>
                            > > Knot tying
                            > > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                            t=ms&k=Knot+tying&w1=Craft+hobby&w2=Hobby+and+craft+supply&w3=Knot+tyi
                            ng&c=3&s=61&.sig=rbKtyq0r5PNrljKeC6UxOQ>

                            subject=Unsubscribe>

                            ------

                          • Stuart Robinson
                            Message 13 of 24 , May 22, 2006
                              You never know : )

                              I was on a motorcycle rally in Hoogerveen some years ago ago & swapped a
                              club patch with a guy from Groningen, his club was mc haren, I think, a
                              dragon was on the patch.

                              Stuart

                              Message 14 of 24 , May 22, 2006
                                Hi Herman,

                                According to the Oxford Shorter English Dictionary, ‘drake’ has the following meanings (most of
                                which I didn’t know):
                                1. dragon (arch.)
                                2. a fiery meteor (arch.)
                                3. a small sort of cannon (17th century)
                                4. angler’s name for a species of mayfly (ephemeris) used as bait
                                5. a beaked galley
                                6. a male duck
                                7. an obsolete form of ‘drawk’: a kind of grass growing as a weed amongst corn

                                In addition, we have the delightful ‘drake-stone’: “a flat stone thrown along the surface of water
                                so as to graze it and rebound”, in the game known as ‘ducks and drakes’, where you compete either
                                for the greatest number of bounces, the farthest distance or the highest bounce!

                                Finally, some fantasy novelists have used the word to mean a small dragon, most notably Anne
                                McCaffrey in her ‘Pern’ series of stories.

                                Apologies for such a lengthy (and off-topic) disquisition: mea maxima culpa! (but I BET the Dutch
                                'draak/draken' can't match that number of meanings!! Or can it...?)

                                ‹(•¿-)›

                                Eddie

                                Message 15 of 24 , May 22, 2006
                                  Eddie

                                  you win the bet

                                  Message 16 of 24 , May 22, 2006
                                    Eddy,

                                    drake with knot in his tale, golden drake
                                    Herman

                                    ---------------------------------

                                    --- gerald diamond wrote:

                                    ---------------------------------

                                    --- Herman evers wrote:

                                    > pendants for necklaces is what i make but call them
                                    > draken eyes
                                    > greeting Herman

                                    "draken"?
                                    Like a dragon or like a male duck?
                                    ;-)

                                    Eddie Climo
                                    eddie_climo@...

                                    Craft hobby Hobby and craft supply Knot tying

                                    draak2
                                    goudendraak
                                    draak

                                  • André
                                    Message 17 of 24 , May 22, 2006
                                      hi,

                                      Haren is also the name of a place in the province of Groningen.

                                      regards
                                      André

                                      wrote:

                                      > You never know : )
                                      >
                                      > I was on a motorcycle rally in Hoogerveen some years ago ago &
                                      swapped a
                                      > club patch with a guy from Groningen, his club was mc haren, I
                                      think, a
                                      > dragon was on the patch.
                                      >
                                      > Stuart
                                      >

                                      > André wrote:
                                      > > hi,
                                      > >
                                      > > haren is the plural form of haar, which means hair in Dutch.
                                      > >
                                      > > So what do we have here.... a hairy dragon perhaps???
                                      > >
                                      > > regards
                                      > > Andre
                                      > >
                                      > > --- In knottyers@yahoogroups.com, Stuart Robinson <restmengi@>
                                      > > wrote:
                                      > > >
                                      > > > I think Haren is Dutch for Dragon.
                                      > > >
                                      > > > Stuart

                                      > > word 'drake'.

                                      > > Service.

                                      > > Service.

                                      t=ms&k=Craft+hobby&w1=Craft+hobby&w2=Hobby+and+craft+supply&w3=Knot+ty
                                      > > ing&c=3&s=61&.sig=MQcFVO9j9ObU92UtvCFmZg>

                                      t=ms&k=Hobby+and+craft+supply&w1=Craft+hobby&w2=Hobby+and+craft+supply
                                      > > &w3=Knot+tying&c=3&s=61&.sig=tv_ebQGX5-CBoLy4hnkBmQ>

                                      t=ms&k=Knot+tying&w1=Craft+hobby&w2=Hobby+and+craft+supply&w3=Knot+tyi
                                      > > ng&c=3&s=61&.sig=rbKtyq0r5PNrljKeC6UxOQ>

                                      > > subject=Unsubscribe>

                                      Terms of

                                      > > ------

                                      > > Craft hobby
                                      > > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                                      t=ms&k=Craft+hobby&w1=Craft+hobby&w2=Hobby+and+craft+supply&w3=Knot+ty
                                      ing&c=3&s=61&.sig=MQcFVO9j9ObU92UtvCFmZg>
                                      > > Hobby and craft supply
                                      > > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                                      t=ms&k=Hobby+and+craft+supply&w1=Craft+hobby&w2=Hobby+and+craft+supply
                                      &w3=Knot+tying&c=3&s=61&.sig=tv_ebQGX5-CBoLy4hnkBmQ>
                                      > > Knot tying
                                      > > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                                      t=ms&k=Knot+tying&w1=Craft+hobby&w2=Hobby+and+craft+supply&w3=Knot+tyi
                                      ng&c=3&s=61&.sig=rbKtyq0r5PNrljKeC6UxOQ>

                                      subject=Unsubscribe>

                                      ------

                                    • Vince Brennan
                                      Message 18 of 24 , May 22, 2006
                                        Eddy, ould son, it's obviously entirely too much time ye've on your
                                        hands, then.

                                        I sentence you to learn "The Sweeps" hornpipe in D.... backwards.

                                      • Stuart Robinson
                                        Message 19 of 24 , May 23, 2006
                                          That probably explains it then, I must have just assumed that dragon &
                                          haren where the same thing.

                                          Stuart