Some Recent Stuff (I hope)

  • gerald diamond
    Message 1 of 24 , May 18, 2006
      Posted some pictures of recent work in my gallery

      http://ca.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/wulflyng/album?.dir=8312

      Most of the knotting I do is with my scout troop
      and we have found that the ornamental stuff
      gets them way more interested than the clove hitches
      and sheet bends

      Once they have learned the basics I tried to
      illustrate
      some ways to spice them up a bit more.

      (They like to try to sell monkey's fists or trade them
      for stuff at large camps)

      There is

      a two strand turk's head on my staff
      (6* 32 if I remember correctly)

      two 3-strand monkey's fists
      (which I kinda like)

      a 2-strand monkey's fist
      (which I don't like as I haven't
      yet figured out how to do it so
      it looks even)

      and what we call a
      cat's eye which is a turk's head
      tied around a marble in such a way
      as to leave part of the marble still
      visible (hence the name)

      I'd be interested in any comments, critiques,
      or similar ideas to keep the scouts interested

      tx

      gerald

      \ Gerald Diamond
      \ wulflyng@...
      \ Memories are not what the heart desires.
      \^. .^ - Gimli in "Lord of the Rings"

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • LoopyLacer@aol.com
      Message 2 of 24 , May 18, 2006
        In a message dated 5/18/2006 4:42:37 PM Pacific Standard Time,
        wulflyng@... writes:

        _http://ca.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/wulflyng/album?.dir=8312_
        (http://ca.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/wulflyng/album?.dir=8312)

        Very nice, Gerald (my brother's name, btw <g>).

        I especially like the Cat's Eye. The variegated rattail you used makes it
        especially eye-catching (pun intended, <sorry>). : - )

        Do you by any chance remember what size rattail/marble/key ring you used?
        You will forgive if I pay you the "sincerest form of flattery" (imitation)
        won't you? I'm sure our scouts will enjoy making these, too. Hmmm...wonder how
        it would look made out of the transparent rexlace (boondoggle/scoubidou).
        Oh, the wheels are turning now...don't you just hate when that happens... ; -
        )

        Still trying to get caught up and add a bunch more photos to my albums,
        too...feeling better, tho. Thanx, everyone, for all the good wishes.

        Lily

        Happily entangled in my own knots!
        Lily Qualls Morales
        Yucaipa, California, USA
        Committee Member, BSA Troop 33
        California Inland Empire Council, _http://www.bsa-ciec.org_
        (http://www.bsa-ciec.org/)
        List Mom for _Tatting@yahoogroups.com_ (mailto:Tatting@yahoogroups.com)
        List "Auntie" for _Rings_N_Chains@yahoogroups.com_
        (mailto:Rings_N_Chains@yahoogroups.com)
        Mail to: _LoopyLacer@..._ (mailto:LoopyLacer@...)
        Website: _http://www.loopylacer.com_ (http://www.loopylacer.com/)
        Photo album: _http://photos.yahoo.com/LoopyLacer_
        (http://photos.yahoo.com/loopylacer)
        Exodus 35:35

      • André
        Message 3 of 24 , May 19, 2006
          Hello all,

          That cat's eye is indeed an "eye catching" ornament as Lily already
          stated. I would say that these cat's eyes will make wonderful pendants
          for necklaces too.

          take care
          André

          --- In knottyers@yahoogroups.com, LoopyLacer@... wrote:

          > In a message dated 5/18/2006 4:42:37 PM Pacific Standard Time,
          > wulflyng@... writes:
          >
          > _http://ca.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/wulflyng/album?.dir=8312_
          > (http://ca.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/wulflyng/album?.dir=8312)
          >

          > Very nice, Gerald (my brother's name, btw <g>).
          >
          > I especially like the Cat's Eye. The variegated rattail you used
          makes it
          > especially eye-catching (pun intended, <sorry>). : - )
          >
          > Do you by any chance remember what size rattail/marble/key ring you
          used?
          > You will forgive if I pay you the "sincerest form of flattery"
          (imitation)
          > won't you? I'm sure our scouts will enjoy making these, too.
          Hmmm...wonder how
          > it would look made out of the transparent rexlace (boondoggle/
          scoubidou).
          > Oh, the wheels are turning now...don't you just hate when that
          happens... ; -
          > )
          >
          > Still trying to get caught up and add a bunch more photos to my
          albums,
          > too...feeling better, tho. Thanx, everyone, for all the good
          wishes.

          > Lily
          >
          > Happily entangled in my own knots!
          > Lily Qualls Morales
          > Yucaipa, California, USA
          > Committee Member, BSA Troop 33
          > California Inland Empire Council, _http://www.bsa-ciec.org_
          > (http://www.bsa-ciec.org/)
          > List Mom for _Tatting@yahoogroups.com_ (mailto:Tatting@yahoogroups.
          com)
          > List "Auntie" for _Rings_N_Chains@yahoogroups.com_
          > (mailto:Rings_N_Chains@yahoogroups.com)
          > Mail to: _LoopyLacer@..._ (mailto:LoopyLacer@...)
          > Website: _http://www.loopylacer.com_ (http://www.loopylacer.com/)
          > Photo album: _http://photos.yahoo.com/LoopyLacer_
          > (http://photos.yahoo.com/loopylacer)
          > Exodus 35:35

        • gerald diamond
          Message 4 of 24 , May 19, 2006
            --- LoopyLacer@... wrote:
            > Very nice, Gerald (my brother's name, btw <g>).
            tx

            > Do you by any chance remember what size
            > rattail/marble/key ring you used?

            i think it was 2 mm rattail
            the ring is about 7/8 inch (sorry for mixed units)
            and the marble is about 5/8

            > You will forgive if I pay you the "sincerest form of
            > flattery" (imitation)
            > won't you?

            I saw them at a Gilwell meeting originally
            (though the ones I saw were in string)
            so I can hardly complain

            I'm sure our scouts will enjoy making
            > these, too. Hmmm...wonder how
            > it would look made out of the transparent rexlace
            > (boondoggle/scoubidou).
            > Oh, the wheels are turning now...don't you just
            > hate when that happens... ; -

            good luck. post pictures please

            gerald
            54th london (ont) troop

            \ Gerald Diamond
            \ wulflyng@...
            \ Memories are not what the heart desires.
            \^. .^ - Gimli in "Lord of the Rings"

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • Herman evers
            Message 5 of 24 , May 20, 2006
              pendants for necklaces is what i make but call them draken eyes
              greeting Herman

              André <salmaj@...> wrote:
              Hello all,

              That cat's eye is indeed an "eye catching" ornament as Lily already
              stated. I would say that these cat's eyes will make wonderful pendants
              for necklaces too.

              take care
              André

              --- In knottyers@yahoogroups.com, LoopyLacer@... wrote:

              > In a message dated 5/18/2006 4:42:37 PM Pacific Standard Time,
              > wulflyng@... writes:
              >
              > _http://ca.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/wulflyng/album?.dir=8312_
              > (http://ca.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/wulflyng/album?.dir=8312)
              >

              > Very nice, Gerald (my brother's name, btw <g>).
              >
              > I especially like the Cat's Eye. The variegated rattail you used
              makes it
              > especially eye-catching (pun intended, <sorry>). : - )
              >
              > Do you by any chance remember what size rattail/marble/key ring you
              used?
              > You will forgive if I pay you the "sincerest form of flattery"
              (imitation)
              > won't you? I'm sure our scouts will enjoy making these, too.
              Hmmm...wonder how
              > it would look made out of the transparent rexlace (boondoggle/
              scoubidou).
              > Oh, the wheels are turning now...don't you just hate when that
              happens... ; -
              > )
              >
              > Still trying to get caught up and add a bunch more photos to my
              albums,
              > too...feeling better, tho. Thanx, everyone, for all the good
              wishes.

              > Lily
              >
              > Happily entangled in my own knots!
              > Lily Qualls Morales
              > Yucaipa, California, USA
              > Committee Member, BSA Troop 33
              > California Inland Empire Council, _http://www.bsa-ciec.org_
              > (http://www.bsa-ciec.org/)
              > List Mom for _Tatting@yahoogroups.com_ (mailto:Tatting@yahoogroups.
              com)
              > List "Auntie" for _Rings_N_Chains@yahoogroups.com_
              > (mailto:Rings_N_Chains@yahoogroups.com)
              > Mail to: _LoopyLacer@..._ (mailto:LoopyLacer@...)
              > Website: _http://www.loopylacer.com_ (http://www.loopylacer.com/)
              > Photo album: _http://photos.yahoo.com/LoopyLacer_
              > (http://photos.yahoo.com/loopylacer)
              > Exodus 35:35

              Craft hobby Hobby and craft supply Knot tying

            • gerald diamond
              Message 6 of 24 , May 20, 2006
                --- Herman evers <touwwerk@...> wrote:

                > pendants for necklaces is what i make but call them
                > draken eyes
                > greeting Herman

                "draken"?
                Like a dragon or like a male duck?
                ;-)

                \ Gerald Diamond
                \ wulflyng@...
                \ Memories are not what the heart desires.
                \^. .^ - Gimli in "Lord of the Rings"

                http://mail.yahoo.com
              • Eddie Climo
                Message 7 of 24 , May 21, 2006
                  According to the Dictionary Widget on my computer's desktop, 'draken' is Dutch for 'dragon', but
                  -alas!- it has no translation into Dutch for the English word 'drake'.
                  Eddie.

                  --- gerald diamond <wulflyng@...> wrote:

                  ---------------------------------

                  --- Herman evers <touwwerk@...> wrote:

                  > pendants for necklaces is what i make but call them
                  > draken eyes
                  > greeting Herman

                  "draken"?
                  Like a dragon or like a male duck?
                  ;-)

                  \ Gerald Diamond
                  \ wulflyng@...
                  \ Memories are not what the heart desires.
                  \^. .^ - Gimli in "Lord of the Rings"

                  http://mail.yahoo.com

                  Craft hobby
                  Hobby and craft supply Knot tying

                  Eddie Climo
                  eddie_climo@...

                • Dann Johnson
                  Message 8 of 24 , May 21, 2006
                    Herman & Eddie

                    The Dutch meaning of Draken makes more sense for a
                    name of that the English Pirate Sir Francis Drake: A
                    Dragon rather than Duck.

                    My wife's birthday gift was a silver rope pendant
                    neckless with a "tiger eye".

                    Maybe that is also known as a dragon eye?

                    Dann
                  • gerald diamond
                    Message 9 of 24 , May 21, 2006
                      > The Dutch meaning of Draken makes more sense for a
                      > name of that the English Pirate Sir Francis Drake:
                      > Dragon rather than Duck.

                      yes, well I rather suspected as much

                      > My wife's birthday gift was a silver rope pendant
                      > neckless with a "tiger eye".

                      actual silver?

                      Message 10 of 24 , May 22, 2006
                        Dann, and the others

                        before i made rope i hunted dragons,...... (the reason that you don't see them any more must be clear).
                        i collected the eyes of those dragons,.... made pendant, necless from them.
                        you have water, land, forrest, mountain ect.... dragons (gold and silver dragons)
                        and sell those for the luck seekers, because (of course) they bring luck, don't forget to tell that they have to reload them in the full moon, to restore the luck bringing factor.
                        or made another nice story for little children i tell that the eyes come from a 7 headed dragon
                        they can miss a few eyes,....... and they normaly grow back on (i dont kill but catch the dragons)
                        made the story how to catch a dragon... different every time.
                        good luck and fun with those dragon eyes..... defently no ducks
                        ps. the eyes of sir Francis Drake must be special.......
                        greeting
                        Herman, dragon eye hunter.

                        Message 11 of 24 , May 22, 2006
                          Eddie,

                          drake is a small dragon (i think)
                          Herman

                          Eddie Climo <eddie_climo@...> wrote:
                          According to the Dictionary Widget on my computer's desktop, 'draken' is Dutch for 'dragon', but
                          -alas!- it has no translation into Dutch for the English word 'drake'.
                          Eddie.

                          --- gerald diamond <wulflyng@...> wrote:

                          ---------------------------------

                          --- Herman evers <touwwerk@...> wrote:

                          > pendants for necklaces is what i make but call them
                          > draken eyes
                          > greeting Herman

                          "draken"?
                          Like a dragon or like a male duck?
                          ;-)

                          \ Gerald Diamond
                          \ wulflyng@...
                          \ Memories are not what the heart desires.
                          \^. .^ - Gimli in "Lord of the Rings"

                          http://mail.yahoo.com

                          Craft hobby
                          Hobby and craft supply Knot tying

                          Eddie Climo
                          eddie_climo@...

                          Craft hobby Hobby and craft supply Knot tying

                        • Stuart Robinson
                          Message 12 of 24 , May 22, 2006
                            I think Haren is Dutch for Dragon.

                            Stuart

                            Herman evers wrote:
                            > Eddie,
                            >
                            > drake is a small dragon (i think)
                            > Herman
                            >
                            > Eddie Climo <eddie_climo@...> wrote:
                            > According to the Dictionary Widget on my computer's desktop,
                            > 'draken' is Dutch for 'dragon', but
                            > -alas!- it has no translation into Dutch for the English word 'drake'.
                            > Eddie.
                            >
                            > --- gerald diamond <wulflyng@...> wrote:
                            >

                            > ---------------------------------
                            >
                            > --- Herman evers <touwwerk@...> wrote:
                            >
                            > > pendants for necklaces is what i make but call them
                            > > draken eyes
                            > > greeting Herman
                            >
                            > "draken"?
                            > Like a dragon or like a male duck?
                            > ;-)
                            >
                            > \ Gerald Diamond
                            > \ wulflyng@...
                            > \ Memories are not what the heart desires.
                            > \^. .^ - Gimli in "Lord of the Rings"

                            > http://mail.yahoo.com

                            > Craft
                            > hobby
                            > Hobby and craft supply Knot
                            > tying

                            > ---------------------------------
                            >

                            > Eddie Climo
                            > eddie_climo@...

                            > http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com

                            > Craft hobby Hobby and craft supply Knot tying

                            > Craft hobby
                            > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Craft+hobby&w1=Craft+hobby&w2=Hobby+and+craft+supply&w3=Knot+tying&c=3&s=61&.sig=MQcFVO9j9ObU92UtvCFmZg>
                            > Hobby and craft supply
                            > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Hobby+and+craft+supply&w1=Craft+hobby&w2=Hobby+and+craft+supply&w3=Knot+tying&c=3&s=61&.sig=tv_ebQGX5-CBoLy4hnkBmQ>
                            > Knot tying
                            > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Knot+tying&w1=Craft+hobby&w2=Hobby+and+craft+supply&w3=Knot+tying&c=3&s=61&.sig=rbKtyq0r5PNrljKeC6UxOQ>

                          • André
                            Message 13 of 24 , May 22, 2006
                              hi,

                              haren is the plural form of haar, which means hair in Dutch.

                              So what do we have here.... a hairy dragon perhaps???

                              regards
                              Andre

                              --- In knottyers@yahoogroups.com, Stuart Robinson <restmengi@...>
                              wrote:

                              > I think Haren is Dutch for Dragon.
                              >
                              > Stuart
                              >
                              > Herman evers wrote:
                              > > Eddie,
                              > >
                              > > drake is a small dragon (i think)
                              > > Herman
                              > >
                              > > Eddie Climo <eddie_climo@...> wrote:
                              > > According to the Dictionary Widget on my computer's desktop,
                              > > 'draken' is Dutch for 'dragon', but
                              > > -alas!- it has no translation into Dutch for the English
                              word 'drake'.
                              > > Eddie.
                              > >
                              > > --- gerald diamond <wulflyng@...> wrote:
                              > >

                              > > ---------------------------------
                              > >
                              > > --- Herman evers <touwwerk@...> wrote:
                              > >
                              > > > pendants for necklaces is what i make but call them
                              > > > draken eyes
                              > > > greeting Herman
                              > >
                              > > "draken"?
                              > > Like a dragon or like a male duck?
                              > > ;-)
                              > >
                              > > \ Gerald Diamond
                              > > \ wulflyng@...
                              > > \ Memories are not what the heart desires.
                              > > \^. .^ - Gimli in "Lord of the Rings"

                              > > http://mail.yahoo.com

                              > > Craft
                              > > hobby
                              > > Hobby and craft supply Knot
                              > > tying

                              Service.

                              > > ---------------------------------
                              > >

                              > > Eddie Climo
                              > > eddie_climo@...

                              > > http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com

                              > > Craft hobby Hobby and craft supply Knot tying

                              Service.

                              > > Craft hobby
                              > > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                              t=ms&k=Craft+hobby&w1=Craft+hobby&w2=Hobby+and+craft+supply&w3=Knot+ty
                              ing&c=3&s=61&.sig=MQcFVO9j9ObU92UtvCFmZg>
                              > > Hobby and craft supply
                              > > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                              t=ms&k=Hobby+and+craft+supply&w1=Craft+hobby&w2=Hobby+and+craft+supply
                              &w3=Knot+tying&c=3&s=61&.sig=tv_ebQGX5-CBoLy4hnkBmQ>
                              > > Knot tying
                              > > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                              t=ms&k=Knot+tying&w1=Craft+hobby&w2=Hobby+and+craft+supply&w3=Knot+tyi
                              ng&c=3&s=61&.sig=rbKtyq0r5PNrljKeC6UxOQ>

                              subject=Unsubscribe>

                              ------

                            • Stuart Robinson
                              Message 14 of 24 , May 22, 2006
                                You never know : )

                                I was on a motorcycle rally in Hoogerveen some years ago ago & swapped a
                                club patch with a guy from Groningen, his club was mc haren, I think, a
                                dragon was on the patch.

                                Stuart

                                Message 15 of 24 , May 22, 2006
                                  Hi Herman,

                                  According to the Oxford Shorter English Dictionary, ‘drake’ has the following meanings (most of
                                  which I didn’t know):
                                  1. dragon (arch.)
                                  2. a fiery meteor (arch.)
                                  3. a small sort of cannon (17th century)
                                  4. angler’s name for a species of mayfly (ephemeris) used as bait
                                  5. a beaked galley
                                  6. a male duck
                                  7. an obsolete form of ‘drawk’: a kind of grass growing as a weed amongst corn

                                  In addition, we have the delightful ‘drake-stone’: “a flat stone thrown along the surface of water
                                  so as to graze it and rebound”, in the game known as ‘ducks and drakes’, where you compete either
                                  for the greatest number of bounces, the farthest distance or the highest bounce!

                                  Finally, some fantasy novelists have used the word to mean a small dragon, most notably Anne
                                  McCaffrey in her ‘Pern’ series of stories.

                                  Apologies for such a lengthy (and off-topic) disquisition: mea maxima culpa! (but I BET the Dutch
                                  'draak/draken' can't match that number of meanings!! Or can it...?)

                                  ‹(•¿-)›

                                  Eddie

                                  Message 16 of 24 , May 22, 2006
                                    Eddie

                                    you win the bet

                                    Message 17 of 24 , May 22, 2006
                                      Eddy,

                                      drake with knot in his tale, golden drake
                                      Herman

                                      ---------------------------------

                                      --- gerald diamond wrote:

                                      ---------------------------------

                                      --- Herman evers wrote:

                                      > pendants for necklaces is what i make but call them
                                      > draken eyes
                                      > greeting Herman

                                      "draken"?
                                      Like a dragon or like a male duck?
                                      ;-)

                                      Eddie Climo
                                      eddie_climo@...

                                      Craft hobby Hobby and craft supply Knot tying

                                      draak2
                                      goudendraak
                                      draak

                                    • André
                                      Message 18 of 24 , May 22, 2006
                                        hi,

                                        Haren is also the name of a place in the province of Groningen.

                                        regards
                                        André

                                        wrote:

                                        > You never know : )
                                        >
                                        > I was on a motorcycle rally in Hoogerveen some years ago ago &
                                        swapped a
                                        > club patch with a guy from Groningen, his club was mc haren, I
                                        think, a
                                        > dragon was on the patch.
                                        >
                                        > Stuart
                                        >

                                        > André wrote:
                                        > > hi,
                                        > >
                                        > > haren is the plural form of haar, which means hair in Dutch.
                                        > >
                                        > > So what do we have here.... a hairy dragon perhaps???
                                        > >
                                        > > regards
                                        > > Andre
                                        > >
                                        > > --- In knottyers@yahoogroups.com, Stuart Robinson <restmengi@>
                                        > > wrote:
                                        > > >
                                        > > > I think Haren is Dutch for Dragon.
                                        > > >
                                        > > > Stuart

                                        > > word 'drake'.

                                        > > Service.

                                        > > Service.

                                        t=ms&k=Craft+hobby&w1=Craft+hobby&w2=Hobby+and+craft+supply&w3=Knot+ty
                                        > > ing&c=3&s=61&.sig=MQcFVO9j9ObU92UtvCFmZg>

                                        t=ms&k=Hobby+and+craft+supply&w1=Craft+hobby&w2=Hobby+and+craft+supply
                                        > > &w3=Knot+tying&c=3&s=61&.sig=tv_ebQGX5-CBoLy4hnkBmQ>

                                        t=ms&k=Knot+tying&w1=Craft+hobby&w2=Hobby+and+craft+supply&w3=Knot+tyi
                                        > > ng&c=3&s=61&.sig=rbKtyq0r5PNrljKeC6UxOQ>

                                        > > subject=Unsubscribe>

                                        Terms of

                                        > > ------

                                        > > Craft hobby
                                        > > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                                        t=ms&k=Craft+hobby&w1=Craft+hobby&w2=Hobby+and+craft+supply&w3=Knot+ty
                                        ing&c=3&s=61&.sig=MQcFVO9j9ObU92UtvCFmZg>
                                        > > Hobby and craft supply
                                        > > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                                        t=ms&k=Hobby+and+craft+supply&w1=Craft+hobby&w2=Hobby+and+craft+supply
                                        &w3=Knot+tying&c=3&s=61&.sig=tv_ebQGX5-CBoLy4hnkBmQ>
                                        > > Knot tying
                                        > > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                                        t=ms&k=Knot+tying&w1=Craft+hobby&w2=Hobby+and+craft+supply&w3=Knot+tyi
                                        ng&c=3&s=61&.sig=rbKtyq0r5PNrljKeC6UxOQ>

                                        subject=Unsubscribe>

                                        ------

                                      • Vince Brennan
                                        Message 19 of 24 , May 22, 2006
                                          Eddy, ould son, it's obviously entirely too much time ye've on your
                                          hands, then.

                                          I sentence you to learn "The Sweeps" hornpipe in D.... backwards.

                                        • Stuart Robinson
                                          Message 20 of 24 , May 23, 2006
                                            That probably explains it then, I must have just assumed that dragon &
                                            haren where the same thing.

                                            Stuart