RE: [KnotTyers] Help with a knot ... PLEASE!

  • Don Burrhus
    Message 1 of 23 , Feb 28, 2006
      Eddie:

      I think that this will answer your question... (and then some!!)

      See: http://www.donb.com/knots/herringbones/

      I dug up the image you asked about and added some more plus an
      explanation...

      Tell me what you think!

      -donb

      Message 2 of 23 , Mar 2 10:14 AM
        For all those fellow sufferers who've had problems mastering that most fiendishly challenging
        'complication in cordage', The Sheet Bend, the magic of motion pictures has come to your rescue.
        No longer need you suffer the agony of being a Knotting Inadequacy Syndrome Sufferer as your
        friends successfully "tie the knot" with the opposite sex, through their displays of Cordological
        arcana!

        O Grasshopper, the path to this esoteric wisdom is not for the faint of heart: there is a secret
        lexicon to be mastered first: a rich symbology of Rabbit, Tree and Hole to challenge one's insight
        and strength of resolve. But faint heart never won fair maid/man!

        May the Force be with you if you venture to:
        http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=351426360990911689&q=genre%3Aeducational

        Eddie

      • Kohanzo, Keith
        Message 3 of 23 , Mar 2 11:05 AM
          This grasshopper just watched the video, and noticed that the "rabbit"
          method produced a so-called sheet bend with the ends on opposite sides
          of the resulting knot. I think Ashley and other knot authorities would
          poo poo this technique.

          Keith Kohanzo

          _____

        • Gerald L Findley
          Message 4 of 23 , Mar 2 11:18 AM
            >For all those fellow sufferers who've had problems mastering that
            >most fiendishly challenging
            >'complication in cordage', The Sheet Bend, the magic of motion
            >pictures has come to your rescue.
            >No longer need you suffer the agony of being a Knotting Inadequacy
            >Syndrome Sufferer as your
            >friends successfully "tie the knot" with the opposite sex, through
            >their displays of Cordological
            >arcana!
            >
            >O Grasshopper, the path to this esoteric wisdom is not for the faint
            >of heart: there is a secret
            >lexicon to be mastered first: a rich symbology of Rabbit, Tree and
            >Hole to challenge one's insight
            >and strength of resolve. But faint heart never won fair maid/man!
            >
            >May the Force be with you if you venture to:
            >
            >http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=351426360990911689&q=genre%3Aeducational
            >
            >Eddie

            The sheet bend shown in the animation is incorrect. If a sheet bend
            is tied so that the ends of the rope are on opposite sides of the
            knot, the knot will fail if repeated loads are placed on the knot.
            The proper way to tie a sheet bend is so that the ends of the rope
            are on the same side of the knot.

          • arthur elwell
            Message 5 of 23 , Mar 2 11:50 AM
              He has other videos and in the one titled "Flying Sheet-Bend" he takes an extra step (I'll give him the benefit of the doubt on this) to assure that when his knot is complete, it is also correct, as Ashley would want it.

              Art

              Gerald L Findley <gfindley@...> wrote: >For all those fellow sufferers who've had problems mastering that
              >most fiendishly challenging
              >'complication in cordage', The Sheet Bend, the magic of motion
              >pictures has come to your rescue.
              >No longer need you suffer the agony of being a Knotting Inadequacy
              >Syndrome Sufferer as your
              >friends successfully "tie the knot" with the opposite sex, through
              >their displays of Cordological
              >arcana!
              >
              >O Grasshopper, the path to this esoteric wisdom is not for the faint
              >of heart: there is a secret
              >lexicon to be mastered first: a rich symbology of Rabbit, Tree and
              >Hole to challenge one's insight
              >and strength of resolve. But faint heart never won fair maid/man!
              >
              >May the Force be with you if you venture to:
              >
              >http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=351426360990911689&q=genre%3Aeducational
              >
              >Eddie

              The sheet bend shown in the animation is incorrect. If a sheet bend
              is tied so that the ends of the rope are on opposite sides of the
              knot, the knot will fail if repeated loads are placed on the knot.
              The proper way to tie a sheet bend is so that the ends of the rope
              are on the same side of the knot.

              Craft hobby Hobby and craft supply Knot tying

            • Eddie Climo
              Message 6 of 23 , Mar 5 5:39 AM
                There's an ex-military pricker/fid for sale on eBay. If you feel that having a 16-incher would
                enhance your earthly existence, why not have a look at:

                http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Old-Steel-Fid-Rope-Splicing-tool-16-long_W0QQitemZ6259704885QQcategoryZ1461QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

                Biddings's still quite low, and there doesn't seem to be any reserve price. The auction finishes
                14 March, and the vendor will post world-wide from Britain.

                Eddie Climo.

              • Dann Johnson
                Message 7 of 23 , Mar 5 4:36 PM
                  I wonder if this isn't a knife sharpening steel. At least, I have several sharpening steels that look like that. The wording in ebay looks to me like Ministry (like clergy) rather than military.

                  <http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Old-Steel-Fid-Rope-Splicing-tool-16-long_W0QQitemZ6259704885QQcategoryZ1461QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem>

                  Ebay sellers sometimes have no clue what they are selling. For example, Looking at ebay items listed as "Rope Maker" yesterday, there one listed that is nothing to do with rope machines. Actually it is a single hook crank that was patented / originally sold with string mops.. and was used for squeezing the water out of string mops.

                  <grins> I know... because I paid $50 USD about 12 years back , for one also sold as a "rope maker" exactly like it, to keep my word "good". I bit my tongue, and skeptically paid the antique store friend, that I had asked to pick up some antique rope machines for me. Then I found out exactly what it was. As a rope machine, it is pretty much worthless, except to show others the joke on me <big grins>.

                  Dann

                • knot lover
                  Message 8 of 23 , Mar 6 2:35 PM
                    Hi all,
                    i haven't done any specific knotting for quite a while because of studies and other craft interests but during the last month before exams i got a tassel mania which lead to my making some tassels first with wool and then with embroidery silk threads .the cord i had to make by twisting in hand keeping the other end firm as i was not having handdrill or ropemaker at that time.it was tedious but the result was pleasing enough.
                    just wanted to share it with knottying friends as tassels and whisks are mentioned in ABOK and i had to use knots and whippings apart froma little sewing in one tassel.
                    the pictures are here

                    http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/hak_libra/album?.dir=a1a3&.src=ph&store=&prodid=&.done=http%3a//pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/hak_libra/my_photos

                    any comments are welcome.
                    sincerely
                    Harryyyy khan

                  • Del Timmerman
                    Message 9 of 23 , Mar 6 3:37 PM
                      Gentlemen & Ladies, it is in fact nice fid except for looking like
                      someone took a maul to the handle instead of a mallet ;). I have one
                      similar. Mine is 14 inch with the broad arrow stamp, the brit fids
                      have a fine taper & are made a fine tool steel. I just may enhance
                      your earthly existence by bidding on it one can NEVER have enough
                      roping tools as it were ;)
                      YSH Tim AKA Killick
                      Lake Superior Squadron
                      U.S & Crown Forces
                      --- In knottyers@yahoogroups.com, Eddie Climo <eddie_climo@...> wrote:

                      > There's an ex-military pricker/fid for sale on eBay. If you feel
                      that having a 16-incher would
                      > enhance your earthly existence, why not have a look at:

                      http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Old-Steel-Fid-Rope-Splicing-tool-16-long_W0QQitemZ6259704885QQcategoryZ1461QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

                      > Biddings's still quite low, and there doesn't seem to be any reserve
                      price. The auction finishes
                      > 14 March, and the vendor will post world-wide from Britain.
                      >
                      > Eddie Climo.

                      Yahoo! Security Centre. http://uk.security.yahoo.com

                    • Dann Johnson
                      Message 10 of 23 , Mar 6 4:34 PM
                        Del,

                        Not to worry. Guess I have gotten skeptical in my old
                        age.

                        I have been "taken in" a few to many times <grins>.
                        Here is another one from the UK to look at.

                        <http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BONE-HANDLED-KNIFE-SHARPENER_W0QQitemZ4445325865QQcategoryZ116005QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem>

                        You may be right, it could be a fid,
                        but I have several knfe sharpening steels, one of
                        which look like a twin / nearly identical to the one
                        currently offered as "fid" on ebay. I will see if I
                        can get a photo of my steel, but in the mean time..
                        take a look at those other steels offered as current
                        ebay listings.

                        Cheers,

                        Dann

                        --- Del Timmerman <otterfam@...> wrote:

                        ---------------------------------
                        Gentlemen & Ladies, it is in fact nice fid except
                        <snip>
                      • Herman evers
                        Message 11 of 23 , Mar 8 2:11 AM
                          Harry

                          picture 7 of 13 shows an hand made cord
                          where the collors look like to shift in the same string
                          did you combine the colors youreself ?
                          Herman

                          Message 12 of 23 , Mar 8 3:07 AM
                            Hi herman,
                            the cord in the picture was made from yarn that was multicolored ,the colors were such as on the yarn ,i only arranged the three different yarns (one white ,2 multicolor ) for making the cord.
                            though making such a cord maybe possible with kumihimo.
                            Harryyyyyy

                          • Herman evers

                              Message 14 of 23 , Jun 21, 2006
                                This is driving me nuts: how do you tie a knot in a bottle?

                                John Rausch's PuzzleWorld site (http://www.johnrausch.com/PuzzleWorld/default.htm) has a monkey's
                                fist in a bottle, tied by Harry Eng (it's under Puzzle Index > Bottle of Knots), along with a few
                                others elsewhere. OK, that site's all about puzzles, so it's not too surprising that there's no
                                explanation of how to do it; after all, magicians don't explain their tricks.

                                But Floris Hin's otherwise excellent 'Colour Book of Knots' on p.144 has a Figure-8 knot in a
                                bottle, and all HE has to say is that it 'calls for a lot of practice and patience'. Perhaps I'm
                                being a little too picky, but I find those instructions just a little lacking in detail.

                                I managed to work out a way of 'cheating' at this, and the result can be seen in my photo album:
                                http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/eddie_climo/detail?.dir=938f&.dnm=d1bd.jpg
                                and I'll happily reveal the secret (if anyone's interested!).

                                But I've no idea how you do it with a thick length of hempen rope, and no cheating.

                                Help!

                                Eddie

                                Eddie Climo
                                eddie_climo@...

                              • David
                                Message 15 of 23 , Jun 21, 2006
                                  I may be wrong, I usually am, it looks like a cheat to me, if you study the
                                  photo closely, it looks as if the bottle is cut/split/separated about one
                                  sixth up from the bottom, and also, but less obvious, about the same from
                                  the top.
                                  That's my thoughts, shoot me down.
                                  David.

                                  > This is driving me nuts: how do you tie a knot in a bottle?
                                  >
                                  > John Rausch's PuzzleWorld site
                                  > (http://www.johnrausch.com/PuzzleWorld/default.htm) has a monkey's
                                  > fist in a bottle, tied by Harry Eng (it's under Puzzle Index > Bottle of
                                  > Knots), along with a few
                                  > others elsewhere. OK, that site's all about puzzles, so it's not too
                                  > surprising that there's no
                                  > explanation of how to do it; after all, magicians don't explain their
                                  > tricks.
                                  >
                                  > But Floris Hin's otherwise excellent 'Colour Book of Knots' on p.144 has a
                                  > Figure-8 knot in a
                                  > bottle, and all HE has to say is that it 'calls for a lot of practice and
                                  > patience'. Perhaps I'm
                                  > being a little too picky, but I find those instructions just a little
                                  > lacking in detail.
                                  >
                                  > I managed to work out a way of 'cheating' at this, and the result can be
                                  > seen in my photo album:
                                  > http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/eddie_climo/detail?.dir=938f&.dnm=d1bd.jpg
                                  > and I'll happily reveal the secret (if anyone's interested!).
                                  >
                                  > But I've no idea how you do it with a thick length of hempen rope, and no
                                  > cheating.
                                  >
                                  > Help!
                                  >
                                  > Eddie
                                  >

                                  > Eddie Climo
                                  > eddie_climo@...

                                • Herman evers

                                    Message 17 of 23 , Jun 22, 2006
                                      Hi Herman,
                                      There were 2 parts to the ‘cheat’.
                                      1. I managed to get some very soft laid cotton cord, but I bought it in a junk shop so I’ve no
                                      idea what it’s called, or who the manufacturer was. I think you can buy something like this from a
                                      magic suppliers shop perhaps.
                                      2. The knot was a Double (or Triple) Figure Eight, as shown in Ashley no.523, tied loosely and NOT
                                      tightened up.

                                      Because the cord was soft and very compressible, and the knot was still only loosely tied, I was
                                      able to stuff it in through the neck of a carefully chosen bottle, using a thin piece of wooden
                                      dowelling. Once inside, the cord expanded back to its original thickness again. Then, I pulled
                                      gently on the protruding end of the cord until the knot tightened to become shorter and wider.
                                      This made it look as if the knot was too wide ever to have fitted through the neck of the bottle.
                                      As the photo shows, I finished it off with the customary Footrope Knot (or something like that) on
                                      top, and a Turk’s Head to cover the cut ends of the cord. This last step was rather important, as
                                      I didn’t want anyone being able to feel the cord and find out how compressible it was.

                                      Still, it’s the only knot I was able to use successfully, and I’d like to be able to do it with
                                      other, more attractive knots. I’d also like to be able to use ‘real’ rope, especially as there
                                      isn't very much of this soft stuff left. Someone did suggest that you might be able to do the
                                      tying inside a bottle using (unspecified) long thin tools through the neck of the bottle.

                                      If you manage to get this working, please share photos and advice with the rest of us, eh?

                                      Message 18 of 23 , Jun 22, 2006
                                        Thanks Eddie

                                        i was thinking to connect an thin wire on the end of the rope, to try if it could help me tie the knot in the bottel and somehow cut this wire off later (like the schip in the bottle makers do, when they set up the masts inside the bottles.)
                                        Will let you know if i mannage to make one of this knot in bottel cheat projects.
                                        thanks to help me out cheating a bit, i can find some soft laid, braided cotten wicks without a hart it may work.
                                        greetings Herman

                                        Message 19 of 23 , Jun 22, 2006
                                          Herman,

                                          Another thought I had for working with natural-fibre rope, although I haven't tried it yet.

                                          Tie the knot and steam it thoroughly, then allow it to dry slowly. This should distort the fibres
                                          in the rope so that, when you've untied the knot, it should go easily back into the tied shape,
                                          without you having to 'persuade' it to do so.

                                          ;-)

                                          Eddie Climo
                                          eddie_climo@...

                                          Inbox full of spam? Get leading spam protection and 1GB storage with All New Yahoo! Mail. http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/nowyoucan.html
                                        • Kevin Hunt
                                          Message 20 of 23 , Jun 26, 2006
                                            I saw a photo of a MF in a bottle and was also intrigued. Here's
                                            how I did it. Was it cheating? My conscience is clean and I can
                                            sleep at night. That's all that matters.
                                            After locating the appropiate bottle and marble that would just fit
                                            through the neck I tied a MF around the marble using a 3/16 cord
                                            known to me as "tie line" used in theater to tie curtains onto
                                            battons. It's black medium laid cotton sheath around a cotton
                                            strand cord. After I had the knot loosely tied I removed the marble
                                            and stuffed both it and the knot into the bottle. I spent the next
                                            hour trying to get the marble placed into the knot. I put down the
                                            project and retrieved a bottle of beer from the fridge and
                                            pondered it's neck and content for a while. Epiphany. I located a
                                            steel ball bearing and magnet from my sons "Magnetix" toy set
                                            and was ble to force the BB into the MF with the added lrverage. I
                                            then used a thin pair of hemostats with a curved nose to slowley
                                            tighten the fist around the BB. I'm guessing overall project time
                                            not including the beer took abour 3 hours.
                                            I'll try to take pictures later but it's kind of difficult to photograph
                                            because the way the bottle refracts light right at the focal point in
                                            the glass.

                                            Kevin Hunt
                                          • Ken Gray
                                            Message 21 of 23 , Jun 26, 2006
                                              sounds almost legal to me.

                                              I'm really of a more strict school of bottle-knots; one which only allows
                                              for the actual person to be inside the bottle at the time of the knot being
                                              tied to be considered authentic.

                                              Ken

                                              On 6/26/06, Kevin Hunt <dadiot@...> wrote:

                                              > I saw a photo of a MF in a bottle and was also intrigued. Here's
                                              > how I did it. Was it cheating? My conscience is clean and I can
                                              > sleep at night. That's all that matters.
                                              > After locating the appropiate bottle and marble that would just fit
                                              > through the neck I tied a MF around the marble using a 3/16 cord
                                              > known to me as "tie line" used in theater to tie curtains onto
                                              > battons. It's black medium laid cotton sheath around a cotton
                                              > strand cord. After I had the knot loosely tied I removed the marble
                                              > and stuffed both it and the knot into the bottle. I spent the next
                                              > hour trying to get the marble placed into the knot. I put down the
                                              > project and retrieved a bottle of beer from the fridge and
                                              > pondered it's neck and content for a while. Epiphany. I located a
                                              > steel ball bearing and magnet from my sons "Magnetix" toy set
                                              > and was ble to force the BB into the MF with the added lrverage. I
                                              > then used a thin pair of hemostats with a curved nose to slowley
                                              > tighten the fist around the BB. I'm guessing overall project time
                                              > not including the beer took abour 3 hours.
                                              > I'll try to take pictures later but it's kind of difficult to photograph
                                              > because the way the bottle refracts light right at the focal point in
                                              > the glass.
                                              >
                                              > Kevin Hunt

                                            • Sonny Saldivar
                                              Message 22 of 23 , Jun 26, 2006