Sailmaker's tools

  • Vince Brennan
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 31, 2006
      Anyone have a source for the following items?

      sailmaker's hooks

      cringle fids (thimbling fids)

      good sail twine

      TIA

      Vince in Philly
    • Herman evers

        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 1, 2006
          Not yet. Des, your email bounces for me. Any joy?

          --- In knottyers@yahoogroups.com, Herman evers <touwwerk@y...> wrote:

          > Vince,
          > did you asked Des Pawson?
          > Greeting Herman
          >
          > Vince Brennan <music@o...> wrote:
          > Anyone have a source for the following items?
          >
          > sailmaker's hooks
          >
          > cringle fids (thimbling fids)
          >
          > good sail twine
          >
          > TIA
          >
          > Vince in Philly

          Service.

          > ---------------------------------

        • bazz_pard
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 2, 2006
            How Do All,

            Vince, you should check out www.sailrite.com
            They have all the hand seaming tools you require.

            as for the cringle/ thimble fids you require, you may have to get
            these made, though you should be able to manage with a standard fid
            upturned, just tap the cringle down over it with a mallet, then as
            quick as you like whip it off the fid and tap the thimble in with a
            mallet.
            If you still need a set of cringle fids after that, you can get some
            Ideas for design in "The Sailmakers Apprentice".

            Hope this helps you out.
            Take care,
            Barry;-)

            --- In knottyers@yahoogroups.com, "Vince Brennan" <music@...> wrote:

            > Not yet. Des, your email bounces for me. Any joy?
            >
            > --- In knottyers@yahoogroups.com, Herman evers <touwwerk@y...>
            wrote:

            > > Vince,
            > > did you asked Des Pawson?
            > > Greeting Herman
            > >
            > > Vince Brennan <music@o...> wrote:
            > > Anyone have a source for the following items?
            > >
            > > sailmaker's hooks
            > >
            > > cringle fids (thimbling fids)
            > >
            > > good sail twine
            > >
            > > TIA
            > >
            > > Vince in Philly

            > Service.
            > >

            > > ---------------------------------

          • Kevin Zembower
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 2, 2006
              I was also going to recommend Sailrite. From their online shopping system,
              go to catagory Thread & Stands, subcategory Twine and Wax, and choose the
              3-ply and 7 ply "polyester twine for hand sewing." Had great success with
              this in the workshop I led on hand sewing for sailors on USS CONSTELLATION
              last year. Don't confuse it with the V-69, V-92, ... threads for machine
              sewing.

              I also bought some great polyester in bright yellow from the Key West
              Marine Supply store last year, while on vacation. When I get home, I'll
              look up the label.

              -Kevin Zembower

              --
              kevinz@... Kevin Zembower

              On Thu, 2 Feb 2006, bazz_pard wrote:

              > How Do All,
              >
              > Vince, you should check out www.sailrite.com
              > They have all the hand seaming tools you require.
              >
              > as for the cringle/ thimble fids you require, you may have to get
              > these made, though you should be able to manage with a standard fid
              > upturned, just tap the cringle down over it with a mallet, then as
              > quick as you like whip it off the fid and tap the thimble in with a
              > mallet.
              > If you still need a set of cringle fids after that, you can get some
              > Ideas for design in "The Sailmakers Apprentice".
              >
              > Hope this helps you out.
              > Take care,
              > Barry;-)
              >

              > --- In knottyers@yahoogroups.com, "Vince Brennan" <music@...> wrote:
              >>
              >> Not yet. Des, your email bounces for me. Any joy?
              >>
              >> --- In knottyers@yahoogroups.com, Herman evers <touwwerk@y...>
              > wrote:
              >>>
              >>> Vince,
              >>> did you asked Des Pawson?
              >>> Greeting Herman
              >>>
              >>> Vince Brennan <music@o...> wrote:
              >>> Anyone have a source for the following items?
              >>>
              >>> sailmaker's hooks
              >>>
              >>> cringle fids (thimbling fids)
              >>>
              >>> good sail twine
              >>>
              >>> TIA
              >>>
              >>> Vince in Philly

              >>> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
              >> Service.
              >>>

              >>> ---------------------------------

            • Vince Brennan
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 2, 2006
                Thanks to both Bazz and Kzembo: I also found Duckworks Boat Builders,
                who have sailhooks (of a sort), round brass cringling thimbles and
                strike-on brass grommets, among other things.
                http://www.duckworksbbs.com/index.htm

                www.ahh.biz seems a good place for canvas, beeswax is available
                several places on the net, as is pine tar and stockholm, so this is
                coming together for me!

                Thanks to all for their tips/suggestions/leads.... don't stop!