Re: Classroom questions

  • Ed
    Message 1 of 19 , Jan 11, 2006
      Well, well, again I'm blown away at the simplicity of which some fancy
      knots can be started.

      Eddie wrote,
      "They're fun to tie, and some of them ain't very
      difficult, such as:
      — a basic monkey's fist, tied in fine stuff between
      the thumb and second finger,
      — a 3-lead 2-bight Turk's Head, started from a
      Figure-8 knot,
      — some 4-strand crown knotting in 2 or 4 colours".

      Now that's interesting. I've been trying to master all kinds of
      Turk's Head knots over the last while, with lots of help from this
      amazing group of people.
      Here Eddie says a T.H. can be started with a figure 8 knot, kool!
      So a 3 lead 2 bight T.H. is started witha figure 8 knot, which of
      course can be increased by 3B, with every crossover, kool again! So
      here we have what I've heard refered to as a 5B base turks head knot.
      So if a person needs an 11B bracelet, or 14B bracelet etc., depending
      on the size of the wrist it's goiong on, this can all be started with
      the Figure 8.

      However, if a person needs a 10, 13 or 16 bight bracelet, again
      depending on the size of the wrist it's goning on, you need a 4 Bight
      base T.H.

      Well, looking thru the ABOK today I saw what he calls the Picket Line
      Hitch, ABOK #154.
      If one starts a turks head with the picket line hitch, and then start
      their crossovers, they've got a 4B base T.H. knot which with each
      crossover can be increased to say 16B, neato!

      This is slightly easier when teaching other, like my family members,
      how to start their bracelets, as the other 4B base method that I had
      is just a little trickier to remember for them.

      And, while on the subject, and Eddie started it! lol, a simple over
      hand knot is the start of a 2 lead T.H. if I'm not mistaken. :-)

      Now, to find a short cut to T.Hs. with more leads.

      Thanks Eddie.

      -Ed. Hatherley
      "The Knotty Man of Mount Forest, Canada"

      P.S. Can't wait for my order to come from Martin Combs!

      --- In knottyers@yahoogroups.com, Eddie Climo <eddie_climo@y...> wrote:

      > Hi Vince,
      > You're probably drowning in so much good advice, that
      > I hesitate to add my own pennyworth ... but only
      > briefly.
      >
      > Most, if not all, of the knots recommended are worthy
      > utilitarian fellows that every knotter should have
      > some familiarity with. But let me put in a word on
      > behalf of those less respectable fellows on the
      > arty-farty fringes of the family, the decorative
      > knots.
      >
      > They're fun to tie, and some of them ain't very
      > difficult, such as:
      > — a basic monkey's fist, tied in fine stuff between
      > the thumb and second finger,
      > — a 3-lead 2-bight Turk's Head, started from a
      > Figure-8 knot,
      > — some 4-strand crown knotting in 2 or 4 colours
      >
      > Or, how about some basic braiding: 3- and 4-strand
      > sennits are easy enough, very satisfying to master,
      > and look fantastic in multiple colours.
      >
      > Good luck!
      > Eddie Climo
      >
      > --- In knottyers@yahoogroups.com, "Vince Brennan"
      > <music@o...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Got asked to do a demo/teach-in for the local
      > library...no big
      > quiver,
      > > but given that I'll have 30 total (20 adult / 10
      > kids) with zip
      > > experience, what suggestions can I get as to the
      > best 5 knots to
      > teach
      > > 'em?
      > >
      > > Not necessarily the easiest, but those which have a
      > chance of staying
      > > with them and being most useful for life.
      > >
      > > (Bowline is obvious, fixed and slip, but ....
      > trucker's hitch?
      > > Roundturn & two half-hitches? Reef-knot?)
      > >

      > Eddie Climo
      > eddie_climo@y...

      Yahoo! Security Centre. http://uk.security.yahoo.com

    • knotfinley
      Message 2 of 19 , Jan 11, 2006
        Ed,

        I just got my order from Martin and its good stuff. Got some hard
        laid cotton and brass thimbles. Also, the book Intro to Turk's-Head
        Knots by Tom Hall. It's really great and I would recommend it to
        everyone. It really makes TH's seem easy.

        Mark "Knot"Finley
        Cubmaster Pack 26

        Message 3 of 19 , Jan 11, 2006
          Hi Mark

          Glad to hear your satisfied with your order from Martin.
          What size cotton did you get and for what purpose, if you don't mind
          me asking.

          I myself have some #30 cotton coming which Martin claims is in the
          1/8th of an inch area. I plan on making mostly bracelets with this.
          I also ordered one each of the threaded needles he has and some
          samples of other cord. Can't wait!

          As for the Turk's Head knots, well, the 3 lead is so easy to me now,
          that I can almost tie it in my sleep. It's increasing the number of
          leads that I need to learn now.

          One of these days I will get a book on Turk's Heads, but for now, I
          have my ABOK, which just arrived, to make my way through.

          -Ed. Hatherley

          Message 4 of 19 , Jan 11, 2006
            Ed,

            I got the #30 also. I plan to make braclets, and since I'm in Scouts
            I'll be making woggles (TH's for neckerchef slides) and dress up some
            walking sticks.

            It's about 1/8 diameter and very good for making TH's. Nice and stiff
            for cotton. I also have the threaded needles from Tandy leather and
            they work great. You'll need to wrap the ends in thin tape so the
            needles have something to bite on.

            The book I recommended does alot of work with increasing the bites and
            leads. It takes from 2 and 3 bite TH's and shows you step by step how
            to increase them to 15 lead 18 bite TH's. It also has Herringbone,
            headhunter, gaucho, casa, pineapple, and others.

          • gerald diamond
            Message 5 of 19 , Jan 13, 2006
              I think you need to look at what the folks in your
              class are likely to want to do. I'd leave the
              intricate
              knots til they come back with a gleam in their eye.

              The book that got me interested in knots ( a while ago

              now) was the Klutz book of knots

              In it (among others) was a better bow for shoes
              I think it is a good ice breaker, is useful and easy
              learn.

              Then there is the bowline & sheet bend.

              After that you might have a few ready depending on
              your class.

              I like the clove hitch (and the constrictor).

              A lot of people I have taught (scouts and scout
              leaders mostly)
              like the jug sling hitch.

              Or as someone else said the tautline.

              These seem, to me, to be the kind of things that there
              is
              a reasonable chance that you can get across in
              whatever time you
              have.

              If I may I would also suggest you find out what books
              your
              library has and give them a list so they can start
              out.

              Good luck

              \ Gerald Diamond
              \ wulflyng@...
              \ Memories are not what the heart desires.
              \^. .^ - Gimli in "Lord of the Rings"