Where to get supplies

  • mark finley
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 7, 2005
      I've been interested in ropes and knots since I was a Scout. Now my boys are in the Scouts and it has brought back that interest in knots and make things with rope and decorative knots.

      I found a project I want to make but I've run into a problem. Where can I get the supplies I need to make the project? I live in Southern California in Orange County. I need to get items listed on this web page http://knotical-arts.com/knot.html.

      Can anyone help?

      Thanks, Mark

    • John Waidner
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 7, 2005
        Mark,

        Three strand manila rope can be had from rigging supply places in your
        area. It's sold by the box or bail. 1/4" line comes in 1200' bales and
        costs (here in Indiana) about $45. 3/8" costs about the same for 600'.
        I know that sounds like a lot of rope, but an active Scout Troop can go
        though 1200 feet of line in 12 months or less. We use so much rope that
        the company that sells it to us thinks we feed it to the boys. You
        know, adding a bit of fiber to their diet.

        There are several good mail order places for colorful nylon cord. Some
        I like include:

        REI
        (http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&productId=27883&parent_category_rn=4500703&vcat=REI_SEARCH)
        has some braided cord that is very nice for projects. It comes in
        white, forest green, orange, and red/gray.

        Paracord is available in many colors from many vendors. Try my
        favorite: http://ubraidit.com/, and while you're at their site look at
        their publications list.

        Look around for marine supply stores, like West Marine, in your area.
        Right now they are having sales on rope and cord. They also have a
        selection of rope working tools. Stores closer to harbors are better
        stocked with rope working tools and I've noticed have a bigger variety
        of rope and cord.

        Local hardware stores sometimes have a tightly braided mason's line that
        makes good project material.

        Rosary cord is nice stuff to work with and can be had at
        http://www.fnt-victory.net/rosary36.html

        Any yet another: http://www.memphisnet.net/index.html

        No doubt there are other good sources out there. If you find one you
        especially like, let us know about it.

        John Waidner
        Carmel, IN
        Former Scoutmaster, Troop 132

        mark finley wrote:

        > I've been interested in ropes and knots since I was a Scout. Now my boys are in the Scouts and it has brought back that interest in knots and make things with rope and decorative knots.
        >
        > I found a project I want to make but I've run into a problem. Where can I get the supplies I need to make the project? I live in Southern California in Orange County. I need to get items listed on this web page http://knotical-arts.com/knot.html.
        >
        > Can anyone help?
        >
        > Thanks, Mark

        >Yahoo! Groups Links

      • knotfinley
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 8, 2005
          John,

          Thanks for the info. I did find a West Marine near where I live and
          will try to go there this weekend. The websites are very helpful also.

          Mark Finley
          Santa Ana, CA
          Quartermaster Advisor, Troop 28