Re: [KnotTyers] Knotting Database Project

  • Ian Bambury
    Message 1 of 57 , Sep 6, 2005
      Hi Laurel,
      The db design will allow for any number of knots (with an internal db
      unique ID of knot_uid) but I included the ABOK (Ashley Book Of Knots -
      you're right :-) number (as an optional field) since many knots in the ABOK
      don't have a name, and I understand that people refer to them as ABOK#1234
      or whatever.
      If we are going to put this out as a CD, though, at some point we are going
      to have to convert the database to static web pages or write a program to
      access the database (not a complicated program as tha database is pretty
      simple - at least, it is at the moment!)
      Hi Howard,
      Not sure what you mean by "Unfortunately I don't have a DB program - yet" I
      expect that we'll be eveloping for php and MySql and both of those are free,
      and if you want to try running your own web server, then give Abyss a go (or
      Xitami)
      Ian

    • wiskers1962
      Message 57 of 57 , May 22, 2008
        Just wanted to say "thank you group" for all the info I gleaned from
        this site and the links pages. I've completed my first (and possibly
        last!) bellrope! It's just a small one, for an 8 inch bell. I made
        it with black nylon parachute cord, grafted with white, and a couple
        of white turksheads. I was also able to make a monkey's fist to hang
        on the bow of my boat, just in case I need it to heave a line.

        Wiskers
        Aboard JAWS