thimbles...what size

  • marikotats
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 1, 2005
      I'm having a terrible time locating these. I found them in my local
      Home Depot, but they are only sold in a package with a clamp and thus,
      too expensive per to make over 20 of them! Where does everyone get
      theirs? I've found several places on-line, but they either do not sell
      to the individual, or they don't list prices. Can anyone tell me where
      to locate these items? I wish to make key fobs of either monkey's
      fists, little lump knots or pineapple knots. Also trying to locate
      some of these self-threading needles I've seen listed on a website for
      easier weaving.

      HELP!!!

      knottingly,
      Mary
    • c.e. brewer
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 1, 2005
        martin combs sells the thimbles in various sizes, tandy sells 3 sizes of the needles.

        http://www.angelfire.com/ak/skateworld/index.html

        www.tandy.com

      • Richard Gehring
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 1, 2005
          See Marty Combs for thimbles at:

          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 1, 2005
            Tandy leather has threaded needles at:

            http://www.tandyleather.com/prodinfo.asp?number=119301&variation=&aitem=2&mitem=33

            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 2, 2005
              Thanks to all who wrote and told me where to get these things. Now another
              question, what size of thimble is commonly used for key fobs? I would be
              lacing #15 twisted Mason Line or a wee bit smaller....probablly 4-6 strands.

              I hope I'm not boring you all with these endless questions, but I've got to
              start somewhere.

              Thanks,
              Mary

            • Richard Gehring
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 2, 2005
                Probably the smallest one Marty Combs has in stock. Relative size is shown with coins.
                Thanks to all who wrote and told me where to get these things. Now another
                question, what size of thimble is commonly used for key fobs? I would be
                lacing #15 twisted Mason Line or a wee bit smaller....probablly 4-6 strands.

                I hope I'm not boring you all with these endless questions, but I've got to
                start somewhere.

                Thanks,
                Mary

                Craft hobby Hobby and craft supply Hobby magazine

                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 5, 2005
                  In a message dated 8/1/2005 2:41:13 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
                  camelot22@... writes:

                  I'm having a terrible time locating these. I found them in my local
                  Home Depot, but they are only sold in a package with a clamp and thus,
                  too expensive per to make over 20 of them!

                  Hi, Mary, et al.

                  I'm sorry I haven't answered these notes about this subject. I've been out
                  of town. My brother, Bill, came into town from Chicago and we spent some
                  time at my sister's house, with our Mom, as well as a cousin and her son, who
                  were also visiting from Oregon. I'm home now, and just about recovered, so
                  here goes:

                  I have been able to find thimbles at my local Ace Hardware Store (it has a
                  different name, but it's affiliated with Ace), and it's just around the
                  corner. So try a local "hole in the wall" hardware store, and see if they have
                  them. I go to their rope section and across from the rope is an entire aisle of
                  hardware! There are pulleys, thimbles, rings, snap hooks, and some stuff
                  I'm sure I'm forgetting. : - )

                  It's a treasure trove. : - )

                  Have fun knotting, everyone,

                  Lily