Re: [KnotTyers] I would like to learn how to do this!!!

  • Stephen Harmon
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 26, 2005
      Lydia Chen wrote a book entitled: Chinese Knotting which give very good instructions on how to tie these and other chinese knots. The book is readily available and highly recomended.
      marikotats <camelot22@...> wrote:I saw this on a Chinese Knotting Website. She said her girlfriend that
      did this is no longer living there. Can anyone give me instructions on
      how to do this?

      See it here:
      http://www.knottingartist.com/crafts-3.html

      Knot tying Privacy setting Hobby Craft hobby Hobby and craft supply Hobby magazine

      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 26, 2005
        In a message dated 7/26/2005 8:30:33 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
        pochteca3@... writes:

        Lydia Chen wrote a book entitled: Chinese Knotting which give very good
        instructions on how to tie these and other Chinese knots. The book is readily
        available and highly recommended.

        While this book is a great one (I just got it, myself <grin>), I don't think
        this particular knot is in it. It looks to me to be a simple 7 X 6 Turk's
        Head Knot (THK), probably tightened around an oblong wooden bead, with the top
        pieces glued on to make it look like a pineapple. It's very pretty and
        clever. I don't know if the pieces for the top were purchased or if the knot
        tyer cut them out by hand, but they look a little too perfect to be the latter,
        imho.

        It also looks like the THK is made from the same cord (I'm guessing rattail)
        as is going through the knot for hanging, then doubled, then the gold
        metallic cord is added in between the two tracks.

        Lily

        Happily entangled in my own knots!
        Lily Qualls Morales
        Yucaipa, California, USA
        List Mom for _Tatting@yahoogroups.com_ (mailto:Tatting@yahoogroups.com)
        List "Auntie" for _Rings_N_Chains@yahoogroups.com_
        (mailto:Rings_N_Chains@yahoogroups.com)
        Mail to: _LoopyLacer@..._ (mailto:LoopyLacer@...)
        Website: _http://www.loopylacer.com/_ (http://www.loopylacer.com/)
        Photo album: _http://photos.yahoo.com/LoopyLacer_
        (http://photos.yahoo.com/loopylacer)
        Exodus 35:35

      • camelot22@aol.com
        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 26, 2005
          In a message dated 7/26/2005 11:30:18 AM Eastern Standard Time,
          pochteca3@... writes:

          Lydia Chen wrote a book entitled: Chinese Knotting which give very good
          instructions on how to tie these and other chinese knots. The book is readily
          available and highly recomended.

          funny thing, I won this on auction at ebay about a week ago, and it just
          showed up today. Can't wait to sit down and try some of this. I just happen to
          have 4 days off of work too. Gee, wonder what I'll do??? :))

          Mary

        • LoopyLacer@aol.com
          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 26, 2005
            In a message dated 7/26/2005 12:28:01 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
            camelot22@... writes:

            Lydia Chen wrote a book entitled: Chinese Knotting which give very good
            instructions on how to tie these and other Chinese knots. The book is readily
            available and highly recommended.

            funny thing, I won this on auction at ebay about a week ago, and it just
            showed up today. Can't wait to sit down and try some of this. I just happen to
            have 4 days off of work too. Gee, wonder what I'll do??? :))

            Careful, Mary -- you're showing signs of addiction already <hehe>. : - D

            They say addictions can kill you. I say, "What a way to go!" LOL

            I'm so happy that you have that book. It has some very pretty stuff in it
            and I know you'll have fun. See what I mean about having to CHOOSE which
            craft to work on in "spare time"?

            "Hmmm...Do I tie some beautiful decorative knots, tat, make some useful
            stuff from knots...?" As someone once said, so many projects...so little time!

            Have fun and enjoy your four days off. Remember, housework can wait --
            there are knots to be tied! Hmmm...I think I've just discovered a new motto...
            : - )

            Please let us know what you make and I think I speak for everyone when I
            say, We want pictures! ; - )

            List Mom for _Tatting@yahoogroups.com_ (mailto:Tatting@yahoogroups.com)
            List "Auntie" for _Rings_N_Chains@yahoogroups.com_

            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 27, 2005
              in your opinion, what is the best cord/rope to use for the things in Lydia
              Chen's book?

              Mary

            • knothead
              Message 6 of 14 , Jul 27, 2005
                Hello, camelot22,

                Braided 1mm Venitian Blind Cord, or Rat Tail Cord.

                >in your opinion, what is the best cord/rope to use for the things in Lydia
                >Chen's book?
                >
                >Mary

                >Yahoo! Groups Links

                = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

                Best regards.
                knothead
                knothead@...
                2005-07-27

              • LoopyLacer@aol.com
                Message 7 of 14 , Jul 27, 2005
                  In a message dated 7/27/2005 9:30:57 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
                  camelot22@... writes:

                  in your opinion, what is the best cord/rope to use for the things in Lydia
                  Chen's book?

                  Hi again, Mary:

                  I agree with Brian. Mini-blind cord is great, but I think you'll find that
                  rattail cord is much prettier. It's not too cheap, but you're not going to
                  use too much of it for those knots. You will find it on cards with about 5
                  yards, or so, on each card, at Michael's. It's probably with the beads and
                  jewelry findings. I have to say, A trip to Michael's for rattail and beads
                  would be the highlight of my days off. : - D

                  If you prefer, until you get the hang of the knots, go to Hancock's or the
                  yardage section of Wal-Mart and you should be able to get some mini-blind cord
                  for practicing the knots first.

                  Have fun!

                  List Mom for _Tatting@yahoogroups.com_ (mailto:Tatting@yahoogroups.com)
                  List "Auntie" for _Rings_N_Chains@yahoogroups.com_
                  (mailto:Rings_N_Chains@yahoogroups.com)
                  Mail to: _LoopyLacer@..._ (mailto:LoopyLacer@...)
                  Website: _http://www.loopylacer.com/_ (http://www.loopylacer.com/)
                  Photo album: _http://photos.yahoo.com/LoopyLacer_
                  (http://photos.yahoo.com/loopylacer)
                  Exodus 35:35

                • c.e. brewer
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jul 27, 2005
                    ck this site for rat tail cord. this is where i got it. this is for u too lily

                    http://store.crafta.com/ribbons---bows-rat-tail.html?pageNum=2

                    Message 9 of 14 , Jul 27, 2005

                      LoopyLacer@... writes:
                      =- You will find it on cards with about 5 yards, or so, on each card,
                      =- at Michael's. It's probably with the beads and jewelry findings.
                      =- I have to say, A trip to Michael's for rattail and beads would be
                      =- the highlight of my days off. : - D

                      Other local sources of satin cord would be bead stores and fabric
                      stores, although fabric stores tend to carry rayon vs nylon. Be very
                      careful at the bead stores though: they will often conveniently sell
                      by the yard, but they also may be charging you 2-3 times more for the
                      convenience depending on the store.

                      Here's an info page on satin cord I've been working on (it's not
                      generally public for a reason, but the info is good! 8)

                      http://www.daoofsilk.com/catalog/cord/satin/
                      --
                      Carol Wang http://www.daoofsilk.com/ The Dao of Silk
                      http://www.chineseknotting.org/ The Chinese Knotting Home Page
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jul 27, 2005
                        In a message dated 7/27/2005 1:55:57 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
                        wangc@... writes:

                        http://www.daoofsilk.com/catalog/cord/satin

                        Great page, Carol. Thanx!

                        List Mom for _Tatting@yahoogroups.com_ (mailto:Tatting@yahoogroups.com)